The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Cost of Hiring a Professional Entertainer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Bravo Karen.

Thanks Danny.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9770 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow, Karen, I agree as well. It's anyways bothered me when someone comments on something and then the topic quickly shifts to that person or their website or performance. I also like that you stand by what's on your website whether it's acceptable to the online and website experts.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20038 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Funny part is I get accused of being aggressive. Then he goes and attacks Karen who did nothing but comment on something HE put up! Karen puts no information about the web site on and he goes and specially digs for it just because he didn't like what was said. Typical Magic Café behavior.

I am going to consult with my brother from another mother Dick Oslund and write a book. It will be about the different phases magicians go through in their development. How the thinking changes as you reach different phases. It is almost universal. It happened all the time at Magic Inc.

I am just happy my every idiotic thought from the time I was 19 until... well I knew better, is not immortalized forever on the Internet. I had some REALLY idiotic thoughts!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
Now we get to typical Magic Café' behavior. Don't address what is brought up, but rather do opposition research and attack the messenger. How can it be wrong? YOU DID THIS!!!!

Brian you want to know why I have been "more aggressive"? Cool here it is. THIS is EXACTLY the thing that is aggravating about you. Now suddenly you are going to attack others. NOTHING Karen wrote deserved this sort of attack. But suddenly you are the worlds foremost authority so it is ok to do so. It has become insufferable.

The whole tone of the first article sums it up. The whole "I am a professional" thing now is getting tiresome. News flash a professional does NOT have to scream about being one. His behavior will show everyone. A professional CERTAINLY does not have to put down others to prove he is one. The tone of the first article, though you did modulate it was arrogant and attacking and I felt bad for those who it attacked. There was NO REASON. Just because you tone it down doesn't mean it isn't what you believe.

Weekend guys have JUST AS MUCH right to charge what they want for jobs as do you and I. If they get a job from you because of price, then it is YOUR FAULT not theirs. There is no reason to attack them for having day jobs, or put them down because they have chosen a profession that is better suited to feed their families. It is uncalled for. I don't care how much perfume you put on it, you still were condescending. You have been going down this road ever since you started to experience small success. It is a bad road to go down.

Then when you just start attacking Karen instead of dealing with what she said it really showed just how far around the bend you have gone.

And just as an aside, for a guy who "turns down many events and still maintains a full schedule" it seems like this particular subject is a strange thing to blog about. You convert almost everyone you talk to also. Why break all the rock over something that means almost nothing to your bottom line? Certainly there are better things to worry about no?

But that is me being aggressive. And by the way before you ask, the reason I said it in public was you made the statement in public and not a PM.

Danny, you were right about the tone of the original article. That wasn't the intent, and I modified it to reflect your feedback and to try to get across what I actually wanted. In the original article I was nothing but complimentary to the part time guys. I meant what I said about weekend guys - many of them are the finest magicians I've met. It wasn't meant to attack them, and as soon as it was pointed out that that's how it came across, I adjusted it without question or hesitation.

And here is where the Internet creates problems, because of lack of tone, etc: I wasn't attacking Karen. I was legitimately asking why she thought the language in my article was negative, while employing very similar language on her own website. The question was genuine. If she is going to criticize my language (which she did, using very harsh words like "preachy", "whiny", and "needy" - original your words, but taken on by her), then it seems fair to ask why she feels similar language is appropriate on her website. If she believes that my use and her use are fundamentally different, I would be very interested to know why, as a part of this ongoing discussion. It wasn't meant to attack, but rather to clarify.

You are right, however. I don't believe I've ever gone to another member's site to further a debate, in all the years I've been on the Café. That was foolish, and I apologize. It won't happen again.

Karen: I did not intended to attack you. I apologize that I offended or upset you in that way, genuinely.

Mindpro: Benji, really? I'm not hawking product to magicians claiming to be a marketing expert. I posted an article, got feedback, accepted said feedback and adjusted the article pretty significantly based on it. I even thanked those for providing the feedback that helped me improve the article.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9770 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Lol, you are right, that is more than he ever did.

I'm sure I was not the only one that was having a flashback and picking up a similar vibe to this whole thread.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Lol, you are right, that is more than he ever did.

I'm sure I was not the only one that was having a flashback and picking up a similar vibe to this whole thread.

I recognize that. That's why I apologized. That was NEVER my intent and I'm disappointed that my tone/language came off in such a way to bring up Benji visions. Seriously, sorry guys.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9770 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
I am going to consult with my brother from another mother Dick Oslund and write a book. It will be about the different phases magicians go through in their development. How the thinking changes as you reach different phases. It is almost universal. It happened all the time at Magic Inc.

This is such a true concept that proves itself over and over again. Along with these phases and levels of performers comes some very distinct patterns, perceptions and mentalities. While this would be a great read, those it was intended for to learn the wouldn't likely understand it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20038 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Besides which I am in my own "far to lazy to write a book" phase.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » The Cost of Hiring a Professional Entertainer (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL