We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from Switzerland! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gotgot
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of gotgot
Hello everybody!
this is finally my first post in this forum, although I've been reading it intensively for quite some time now, getting a lot of informations.
i've always been vaguely interested in magic, and started "more seriously" back in february, when I was going to be the best man at my friends's wedding and decided to spice up my speech with a bit of magic.
since then I've been practicing almost everyday, mostly card magic first, watching stuff and reading books and this forum like crazy..
until a colleague asked me to do a paid act for an association he's in. it was supposed to be for kids and I had 1 month to get ready.
so I put card magic aside and watched stuff from Silly Billy, Tommy James & co... (athough I'm going to do a 6 cards repeat and cards across)
i have to do a 1h act for actually 33 kids and 55 adults, 2 weeks left, I'm feeling almost ready, but I also know there's a lot of mistake I'll make..
i hope it goes well!
thanks all for all the support you give everybody in this forum,
cheers
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome gotgot,

Best of luck on your show.

I'm guessing the Best Man speech went well or you'd never try and tackle this.

P.N. works for all ages. It is a great way to "stretch their imagination" before the show starts.

Practice and timing your act (while imagining a supportive and likable audience) will go farther than reading at some point.

Plan what to say between tricks and know where you will put things (I'm assuming you don't have a Magic Table) Working from a tool case like this may be an option. (I'm assuming you don't have big Magic equipment either).

http://www.alltimetools.com/p-767-platt-......ase.aspx

There are cheap ones available (I just put up the first link I found and it was expensive) and this can be set on a card table TV tray or stool. It will give some cover.

-Mary Mowder
gotgot
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of gotgot
Thanks a lot for your great advice and the time you take to write to everyone Mary,
Indeed, I plan to do a P.N. routine telling a story about an italian restaurant where the chef cooks some mystery spaghetti, it's taking me a full 8min, copying most of Daryl's moves

i'll try to record myself doing the full act this weekend and time myself, indeed I think I'm missing things to say in between..
and the problem of where to put things is exactly one I'm having, it's too early in my "career" to buy a "curtain behind me" or a gueridon, so I was counting on a simple table with a large tablecloth and a simple bag hidden behind it
i'll look around tool case around me, thanks!

one of the other question I'm having is whether I should do a 1 hour act straight, or two sets of 30min with a break in between
i guess I can leave the option open and see how things go
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
30 mins is all you need or want at this point.

Clients always ask for more but at a party, people want to socialize and they will get restless. besides, this early in your Magic, it is doubtful you could have an hour. My hat's off to you if you do!

-Mary Mowder
gotgot
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of gotgot
I'm getting paid for 1 hour :-/ it was that, or they hired a clown for 2 hours Smile I think they mostly want the kids to leave them alone while they're socializing
it's at a soccer arbiter meeting, they'll come with their kids for a pre-christmas party, I plan mostly stuff for kids, but I'll have OOTW with yellow/red cards since it fits their passion..
do you think it's okay if I stop before 1hour if I see they're getting tired?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you are already hired for the hour you either need to tell them you are not up to doing an hour before the show (at this point not a good option) or do your best for the hour.

What skills do you have?

Can you do spongeballs or use a puppet to interact with the Kids?

If you find a trick that the kids like in a strolling situation then they will all want you to do it for them.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend "got got"...

I am not attempting to throw "cold water" on you, (here comes the "but"): But, you should realize that: "There aint no shallow end in this pool!" Before you jump in, you should know how to swim!!!!!

You don't need to be an Olympic swimmer, but, you should, at least, know how to tread water! "Drowning on stage is NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE!!!"

An hour, "on stage" is a LONG TIME!!! Many pro's., in vaudeville days, did EIGHT MINUTES!

Suggest you watch a 60 minute TV show! Then, "do" your projected program, using the presentation that you have developed, and TIME IT!!! AN HOUR IS A L O N G TIME!

I've made a living all my life (I'm 84 in two weeks) performing magic. I do 45 minutes, and, I didn't "start out" doing that!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.: I've done the "P.N" since 1971. My routine runs not quite 3 minutes. BUT, it entertains! (MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!!!)

Daryl Martinez is a friend since we both worked the Castle together in 1979. His rope act runs 15 minutes. It is solid laughs. Is your PN eight minutes of laughs?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
gotgot
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of gotgot
Thanks for your posts
I know it is risky for a first time and things can go wrong, and my routines will clearly not be as polished and flowing as someone who's been in this field for years. I'll try my best.
it'll be far from "olympic level", but I'm hoping kids will have a good time and I won't be too ashamed of myself
when I timed myself for each routine, I'm reaching 1hour. I've never tried to do them all in a row yet, but I'll practice that this weekend.
do you think from the audience point of view, it's better if I do two sets of 30min ?

I've never learned spongeballs, I thought it's too hard to master them in 1 month, and I don't like puppets so I wont do them :/

i'm meeting some friends this evening, I'll record my rope routine and put it on youtube, maybe.
i planned :
a vanishing flute and then hanky panky (Scott Alexander),
coloring book
3 silk cristal
something like "princess in a pickle" (as Silly Billy, maybe a bit less clownesque than him),
a rope routine,
hippity hop rabbits,
6 card repeats+cards across,
water monte (Scott Alexander),
lopsided cyclop
skunk santa and the magic chimney (Tommy James),
rope-u-tation (Jimmy Fingers),
maybe d'light depending on the light conditions,
OOTW with red/yellow cards (since it's for soccer referees, because the "referees are always right, let's prove it)
a torn and restore newspaper (Ben Salinas)
a bill in an impossible location, just using a TT
a mouth coil dancing with a kid
maybe the salt in a bowl thing like David Williamson
snowstorm
in principle there's no difficult sleight of hands, so the difficulty is rather in the presentations and in my lack of experience. I'll try to copy the big names of magic as much as possible
gotgot
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of gotgot
Part1: https://youtu.be/ULx-6jOYjWo
part2: https://youtu.be/rWTPNuytJu0
so... not technically perfect, but my friends liked it and didn't get it, one of them even said a nice "putain" at 2min20:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello from Switzerland! (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL