The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
I am surprised nobody has posted about these:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=809

Any thoughts?

Steve
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Hi Steve, welcome to the Café and thanks for the link. There has been a little chit chat about Dixie's videos but I don't know anyone who has actually seen them yet so we have yet to get a detailed review. I am planning on picking them up myself but I have a few other escape related purchases to make this month so I'm afraid that they will be going on the back burner for now. Looking forward to lots of great posts from you.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Seems like the name escape master is familliar, is this the same escape master that we know? PS Dixie doesn't have the name that others have so who knows the quality. Id love to see one of the escape masters actually do a video series.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm interested in them. but would like more Information on them as to how Many Minutes they are etc. they do look good and interesting. I wonder if he has his Vegas Act Avaialable on DVD. as Well. Don,
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
$25 seems like a very good value per CD. There is a disclaimer in the ads. I do have the same aprehension as to the sheer volume vs run time. I would think that some of the escapes listed could take up an entire DVD on their own, and have a bit of fear that magicians not familair with some of the far more dangerous escapes would try to pull them off based on 15 or 20 minutes of video feed, ending in a real tragedy.

I will pick up the set after some of my other financial obligations have been cleared up.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Dear Dr_Zodiac,

Wherever you go in life there always seems to be more than one person with your name. Maybe we should have numbers.

So if you are confusing me (Steve Saint) with Steve Santini just remember - I am sure that Steve Santini is too modest to call himself EscapeMaster.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
PS Dixie doesn't have the name that others have so who knows the quality.

Dixie is kind of a staple there in Vegas, like Lance Burton, Wayne Newton, and free drinks.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Aw shucks!
You mean the name EscapeMaster is taken? Now I will have to destroy all of my posters and promo material (just kidding!). Steve Santini
P.S. "Master of Escape" is also currently in use although not here. Michael Griffin is using it for his Ebay handle. Oh well. I guess we can all go back to using "The World's Greatest!".
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
No you can`t. I am the Worlds Greatest.
OK Greatest what !!!!
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I am the great reader of minds? I was feeling left out.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I am great at changing pull-ups (diapers for toddlers) I can do 2 in under a min. Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I've seen the Dixie Dooley DVDs. First as to the quality, they are well done. I had never seen Dixie perform prior to watching the DVDs. I had heard of him however.

There is some good stuff on these videos and some crap. But overall I enjoyed them. I wasn't thrilled to see the Steel Straightjacket on there (only because I use mine a lot). I did like Dixie's milk can, not explained.

I suppose it would depend upon what level of escape artistry you are at, but given the apparent shortage of escape related video tapes/dvds,I was anxious to view them.

I really enjoyed Mark Cannons Lecture Video, though the quality was a little poor but the content was rich.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Thanks for the review Carnegie, and welcome to the Café.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We got the DVD's in the other day. I of course got them for Kristen. I'll have her post a review after she watches them. We our on the road for a little while...so bear with us till we get back. I highly doubt we will watch them while we are out.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
I have just flicked through the DVDs. I have not watched them through. What I shall say is this:

DO NOT BUY THESE DVDs IN THE IMMEDIATE FUTURE.

Not knowing Dooley and there not being anything comparable on the market you will appreciate that any comments I make about these DVDs will be entirely unbias.

To prevent any of you good people wasting your money on these videos I will post a proper review as soon as I can. I would not want to make any great comment before watching them through. But I would like to say that the advertising is very misleading.

One volume I watched part of said on the sleeve: "In this DVD you'll learn...Knots...Lock picking."

The section on Knots entirely consists simply in Dixie holding up one of those minature knot displays and saying: "If you want to take escapes seriously you need to learn how to tie seamen's knots. In learning how to tie them you'll learn how to untie them. You can also get books (he shows the cover of one) which teach you about knots."

That's it. Does that constitute learning knots?

OK - what about the lock picking?

Dooley does not pick a single lock or even attempt to explain anything about lock picking. All he says is that you don't need to lock pick and you should simply try to work around opening the locks for real.

Perhaps this is sound advice (to a certain extent) but the point is that the DVD cover says that it teaches Lock Picking.

Well, of course, anyone with a modicum of intelligence will realize that you cannot teach how to pick locks on a fraction of a DVD and similarly, anyone with a modicum of intelligence will realize that you don't need to pick locks to escape from things.

Dooley's suggestion to give the impression that you can pick locks is to use pin hinge shackles, escapes from them and then, "tell the audience that you got out by picking the locks."

On other clips I watched a spectator struggling to fasten a Siberian chain because it was poorly explained/managed and another clip showed a spectator after watching Dooley perform saying that he was never in doubt that he would escape. Is that the sign of a convincing performance?

As I said, I will reserve my own comments until I have watched the lot. My paragraphs above contain no value judgements. I merely report what I have seen so please do not criticize me for being inappropriately rude.

Just watch what you choose to buy...

Steve
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Sounds almost like they mis-represent the DVD plus they don't mention how long any of the dvds are. I also heard he does the Milk Pitcher trick from the Houdini Movie from 1953 and goes word per word what was said in the Movie. to some you come up with your own Patter. anyone happen to View the 4th Disc which is supposed to be of the Show from Vegas. Don,
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
The DVDs each have the time printed on them.

Vol. 1 58 minutes
Vol. 2 97 minutes
Vol. 3 87 minutes
Vol. 4 68 minutes

I don't recall seeing the milk pitcher trick on the DVD, but if he uses that patter, so what. I'd be less concerned with the patter issue and more concerned with why on earth anyone is using a milk pitcher in the 21 century, unless you are doing 'Hospitality'.

In my earlier post I said I felt there was some good stuff and some **** and I still hold to that. I can't think of any video/dvd where the content is 100% to my liking. Everyone cetainly has their paticular preferences, likes and dislikes. These videos are not for the advanced escape artist by any stretch. But to my knowledge, there isn't another set of DVDs on the market like it.

I remember going into a Denny and Lee's Magic Studio one day and the owner Denny, whose opinion I highly respect, was telling me about some books I should purchase. I mentioned to him that the reviews were bad. He told me that the information is all there, solid stuff, if you'd rather listen to a critique than invest the money that is your choice he told me. I bought the books. He was right, they were good.

I'm neither friend or foe of Dixie Dooley. Don't know him and I'm not trying to come to his aid or put him down. Just throwing out my two cents.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The Milk Pitcher if it is in. should be in Volume 4 unless if it was Deleted. CARNEGIE have you viewed all of the Material on the DVDS does it actully tell/teach you how to pick open a Lock if you can read the review by EscapeMaster. Don,
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Donster: no, it does not teach you how to open a lock. The only lock that ever gets opened on the DVD is a cheap Master lock which has had the pins removed.

Dooley does not either (a)name a supplier who might sell you such a lock or (b)give any explanation as to how the spirit lock works (i.e. like I said, that the pins had been removed.)

Items were indeed cut from the video of the show (vol. 4) and no pitcher was featured. Either they cut out the good bits or the whole show was really, really bad.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2004-03-01 11:05, KingStardog wrote:
$25 seems like a very good value per CD. There is a disclaimer in the ads. I do have the same aprehension as to the sheer volume vs run time. I would think that some of the escapes listed could take up an entire DVD on their own, and have a bit of fear that magicians not familair with some of the far more dangerous escapes would try to pull them off based on 15 or 20 minutes of video feed, ending in a real tragedy.

I have to stick by my origional assesment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » DVDs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL