The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Official "Book of the Year" thread- 2015 (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Paul Clifford
View Profile
New user
London
8 Posts

Profile of Paul Clifford
Hi Atlas ... Did not notice that ... you are probably right. As someone who has been using the Café for years but not contributing anything it seemed an easy way to ease my way in.

So in my third post I would like to say I have no connection to any of the authors (okay I come from Nottingham so I do take a bit of pride in seeing the likes of you and Looch putting it on the magic map!), I have read all the books I nominated and thought they were great!

Welcome to all my fellow first time posters!

Paul
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1023 Posts

Profile of rasp
Atlas is correct, that is exactly what I was referring to.

Seems very strange that 'Mikey7938' has only one post and if you look at his profile, only joined the Café today!!
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
213 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
I really enjoyed the following in no particular order...
Blomberg Laboratories
Tenyoism
Blammo 10 Card Deal Dossier
Inspirations - Performing Magic With Excellence by Dr. Lawrence Hass

Marc DeSouza
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Blomberg Laboratories
Jawdroppers
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18496 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2016, BlackZ wrote:
Due to the rule, maybe that I am wrong, but to vote a user do not have to had had before posted a certain number of posts?

yup - the rules state you need at least 50 posts to have your vote count..

Quote:
On Dec 2, 2015, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
You must have 50+ posts on the Magic Café for your vote to count. If you're new, that gives you over 2 months to join in the community and share in our passion.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5373 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
1. Tenyoism (Richard Kaufman)
- Absolutely OUTSTANDING set of books (and DVDs, and physical props)!! Richard Kaufman has truly outdone himself.

2. Jawdroppers by Harry Lorayne
- It’s amazing to think that Harry still has so much new & exceptional magic to share.

3. The Blammo Ten Card Deal Dossier (Bob Farmer)
- An incredible collection, exceptionally researched and written.

4. Blomberg Laboratories (Andi Gladwin)
- Creative, innovative magic.

5. The Experts at the Card Table (David Ben)
- Another big plus for the authors/publishers who go out of their way to fully research their subject matter and produce absolutely beautiful books.
rockmartian
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of rockmartian
1.Applesauce: Patrick Redford
2.Epiphanies: Colin Mcleod
3.Blomberg Laboratories:Andi Gladwin
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2400 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
It's the "Bammo" Ten Card Deal Dossier. Not "Blammo." A book I would have listed as my third, but I was involved in its production and thus could not vote for it.
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Blomberg Laboratories
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5373 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Richard Kaufman wrote:
It's the "Bammo" Ten Card Deal Dossier. Not "Blammo." A book I would have listed as my third, but I was involved in its production and thus could not vote for it.

Yup... Sadly a typo that I caught, but wasn't able to correct before the next post. Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am really honored and humbled to be included in this list with some really amazing names and people in magic.

"Festival Magic" was a labor of love and took over 5 years to write and get it the way I wanted it to be. Time well spent as I am so happy with the final results.

Thanks again for being included in this. If you want more info on the book go to www.kpmagicproducts.com

Thanks again and best to you all.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Artie Fufkin
View Profile
Special user
857 Posts

Profile of Artie Fufkin
It's so painfully obvious that backroom emails and PM's from authors and their sycophants are running this contest. Posters are even copping to the fact that they're involved in "behind the scenes" communications to vote for a particular book.

The vote is flawed such that it's utterly pointless.

The only thing more silly is the "Trick of the Year" thread, equally flawed with the abundance of mentalists who spend their entire year posting that they're MENTALISTS, not MAGICIANS ... and that magicians are the bane of mentalism ... and then they work their butts off behind the scenes trying to get their mentalism products qualified as "TRICK of the Year".
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
807 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
My thoughts exactly.

The mentalists should have their own contest for mentalism book of the year. Instead of trying to hijack this one.

Joe Mckay
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Bob_Hummer wrote:
The mentalists should have their own contest for mentalism book of the year. Instead of trying to hijack this one.

In 2012, the Café's mentalists did just that (well, actually they did both: they ran their own and hijacked this one as well).

It turned out that the 2012 Café Book of the Year, Emotional Mentalism by Luca Volpe, received ZERO votes among mentalists for their own Mentalism Book of the Year, which was won in a landslide by Unreal by Bruce Bernstein.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18496 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I find a couple of the comments quite funny, go look through the threads in the mentalism section, there are thousands upon thousands of magicians constantly posting about books, wanting to "add a little bit of mentalism to my strolling act" and all kinds of things... if you get votes for mentalism book, its because (in part) magicians are constantly wanting to use and abuse mentalism items...you can't have it both ways...and yes, a lot of mentalists would be more than happy to not have any magician buy mentalism specific products...

no one is force-feeding magicians the rich buttery mentalism products...i only bought three books from these past twelve months that were published recently, every other book I've gotten has been decades older....i couldn't vote for minimalistica, because I haven't read it yet...
dunlop
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, UK
201 Posts

Profile of dunlop
1.- Blomberg Laboratories
2.- The Experts at the Card Table
3.- The Devil's Staircase
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
403 Posts

Profile of ekins
1. Tenyo-ism
2. Destination Zero
3. Locked
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
912 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Bob_Hummer wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

Joe Mckay

I actually agree with this, and I'm a mentalist.
Reader discretion is advised.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, IAIN wrote:if you get votes for mentalism book, its because (in part) magicians are constantly wanting to use and abuse mentalism items...

Looking at the actual history, the tight clustering of votes around certain times strongly suggests that the 2012 result was largely due to Luca Volpe sending out email blasts to his customer list. This pattern is visible again this year when looking at the votes for Luca's Penguin lecture.

You may also note that familiar names such as Amirá, Titanas, David Thiel, Mauricio Jaramillo, Nefesch, Luca Volpe, Stephen Young, Dr Spektor and EricDraven all voted for Emotional Mentalism in the general 2012 Book of the Year poll, whereas none of them actually voted for it as the 2012 Best Mentalism Book. This suggests that they were willing to help their friend hijack the general Book award on a lark, but would not support that same book in front of all their peers.

2012 Book of the Year:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

2012 Best Mentalism Book:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

2015 Best Penguin Lecture:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3731 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Tim, unfortunately I fear that you are spot on. But on the other hand: there are more than 60.000 registered members on here - and you need 14 votes to win 😊... As I posted elsewhere more than once: I do not vote at all anywhere and it doesn't matter where I could vote. I understand that the voting should be fun, but it turns out to be ridiculous. And I do not want to talk about the emails and FB activities I received... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Official "Book of the Year" thread- 2015 (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL