The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Heavyweight Champion of the World (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21009 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolutely.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
566 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I followed pugilism in the 90's when Lennox Lewis was world champ. All the weight classes had interesting characters.
It was almost like wrestling.
.


.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Yes, the 90s were exciting.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3429 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It is fun to compare the great boxers of the past to the current boxers. Nobody will ever really know who could beat who. Some had such heart that it is hard to see them lose.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
566 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, rowdymagi5 wrote:
It is fun to compare the great boxers of the past to the current boxers. Nobody will ever really know who could beat who. Some had such heart that it is hard to see them lose.


I think generally in sports, modern nutrition and training techniques get the edge.
Without doubt yesterday's champions would be beaten by their future selves. If that makes sense.
.


.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Generally speaking perhaps, but not always.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21009 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, magicfish wrote:
Generally speaking perhaps, but not always.

Babe Ruth for example.

But generally I agree.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6918 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Bobby Orr
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, rowdymagi5 wrote:
It is fun to compare the great boxers of the past to the current boxers. Nobody will ever really know who could beat who. Some had such heart that it is hard to see them lose.


I think generally in sports, modern nutrition and training techniques get the edge.
Without doubt yesterday's champions would be beaten by their future selves. If that makes sense.


There is a couple of reasons that boxing is generally an exception to the general rule. The first is the existence of weight classes. One reason that modern football players, for instance, are generally better than their predecessors is that they're simply much bigger - a linebacker at a Division 1 high school today is bigger than an NFL lineman of 50 years ago. With the exception of the heavyweight division, that edge doesn't exist for modern boxers over the early versions; a 1950 welterweight weighs as much as a 2020 welterweight.

The second reason is the wealth of experience that boxers in earlier eras had. Sugar Ray Robinson won the world welterweight championship in his 76th fight, and he had already tangled with Jack LaMotta, SWammy Angott, Izzy Jannazzo, Henry Armstrong, Fritzie Zivic and more, and fought countless 10-rounders. Good boxers nowadays get rushed to title fights and become financially much more comfortable and secure earlier; there's something to be said for modern training methods, but it's similar to what Barack Obama said about how the only thing that can prepare you for being President of the United States...is being President of the United States. Back in the day, boxers fought 4- and 6-rounders for quite a while before graduating to 8-rounders...and then 10-rounders. Title fights didn't come easy, and they accumulated more experience in a few years than most top names today get over the course of their careers. An excellent book on this subject is Mike Silver's "The Arc of Boxing."

There are definitely modern fighters who stack up well against the all-time greats, but overall, boxing is the exception to your well-taken point on sports in general.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2020, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, rowdymagi5 wrote:
It is fun to compare the great boxers of the past to the current boxers. Nobody will ever really know who could beat who. Some had such heart that it is hard to see them lose.


I think generally in sports, modern nutrition and training techniques get the edge.
Without doubt yesterday's champions would be beaten by their future selves. If that makes sense.


There is a couple of reasons that boxing is generally an exception to the general rule. The first is the existence of weight classes. One reason that modern football players, for instance, are generally better than their predecessors is that they're simply much bigger - a linebacker at a Division 1 high school today is bigger than an NFL lineman of 50 years ago. With the exception of the heavyweight division, that edge doesn't exist for modern boxers over the early versions; a 1950 welterweight weighs as much as a 2020 welterweight.

The second reason is the wealth of experience that boxers in earlier eras had. Sugar Ray Robinson won the world welterweight championship in his 76th fight, and he had already tangled with Jack LaMotta, SWammy Angott, Izzy Jannazzo, Henry Armstrong, Fritzie Zivic and more, and fought countless 10-rounders. Good boxers nowadays get rushed to title fights and become financially much more comfortable and secure earlier; there's something to be said for modern training methods, but it's similar to what Barack Obama said about how the only thing that can prepare you for being President of the United States...is being President of the United States. Back in the day, boxers fought 4- and 6-rounders for quite a while before graduating to 8-rounders...and then 10-rounders. Title fights didn't come easy, and they accumulated more experience in a few years than most top names today get over the course of their careers. An excellent book on this subject is Mike Silver's "The Arc of Boxing."

There are definitely modern fighters who stack up well against the all-time greats, but overall, boxing is the exception to your well-taken point on sports in general.


Sure, but take those boxers of yesteryear and improve their nutrition and training and they would have been even better. I think that's the point Mr. Salk is making. You're comparing old time boxers to modern boxers (which you've done very well, by the way), while Mr. Salk is comparing old timers to different versions of themselves. Personally, I think that better nutrition and training improves any athlete from any era. How could it not?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
566 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
In boxing, more experience getting punched in the head might actually be a detriment...
.


.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is CO2 levels that have been making people bigger and that is why during the lockdown, everybody shrank.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
566 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2020, tommy wrote:
It is CO2 levels that have been making people bigger and that is why during the lockdown, everybody shrank.


That's ridiculous. People shrank because they are home drinking more fluoridated water.
.


.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Heavyweight Champion of the World (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL