The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Twisting aces and selection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
I like the "Observation Test" from "Royal Road to Card Magic" and the few times I've done it, it went fine. But laying down the double always makes me a little wary - grabbing it from the short end, I find it very hard to always get it perfect (while being natural). I like the idea of a selection appearing in four of a kind, but just can't get it to always be consistent.

Somewhere I remember reading a "Twisting the Aces" routine, where the last card to "twist" is the selection (possibly in the hands of the spectator?). I'd like to try that approach - and as I hunt for the version I read, was wondering about other tricks of this type? A single selection is found among 4 of a kind, either twisting face-up or face-down.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, carlyle wrote: I like the "Observation Test" from "Royal Road to Card Magic" and the few times I've done it, it went fine. But laying down the double always makes me a little wary - grabbing it from the short end, I find it very hard to always get it perfect (while being natural).

A non-smooth surface (such as a close-up mat or napkin) helps. Abused cards help. If your cards stick together so they won't fan nicely, you'll find it much easier to lay down a double. You can also rough them yourself. After that, it's just practice. Work on finger pressure. Some advise having the fingernail be the last thing to leave the double (from the very center). As to being natural, you might remove your finger more slowly from all the singles, if you're slowing down for the double. This way your finger leaves all the cards in the same manner. But really, it's just practice, and like you, I don't like laying down doubles. And I don't like counting on a close-up mat.

Quote:
On Dec 6, 2015, carlyle wrote: Somewhere I remember reading a "Twisting the Aces" routine, where the last card to "twist" is the selection (possibly in the hands of the spectator?). I'd like to try that approach - and as I hunt for the version I read, was wondering about other tricks of this type? A single selection is found among 4 of a kind, either twisting face-up or face-down.

The cards are already set up in the order you want them for the "in the hands" version. Nothing actually happens in the spectator's hands. It looks like you need to familiarize yourself with the effect. You can find it in Vernon's More Inner Secrets., among other places.
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
Thanks for the advice on the doubles - the fingernail idea I've used a little bit, just a little harder with this trick to get the fingering right it seems (since you have to grab the cards at the short end). I'll keep at it, just wonder if it'll ever become foolproof, as I do like the idea of the trick.

I do know Vernon's original "Twisting the Aces" and wanted to somehow combine the two ideas - so that it's all in the hands. Something like Brother Hamman's "First Twist" or Richard Vollmer's "Strasbourg Waltz" - a "twisting" effect with an added card (a signed selection). I recall reading one like that, but can't find it (I think the last phase was in the spectator's hands, but now begin to doubt). Possibly in a volume of Apocalypse. I've been trying to come up with my own version (based on the couple I know), but it's confusing. Not sure to use 4 or 5 cards, for example.

Again, thanks for the advice. If I find the trick, I'll post the title.
Francesco_Menegazzo
View Profile
New user
Venezia, Italy
8 Posts

Profile of Francesco_Menegazzo
Carlyle, maybe you are referring to Ed Marlo's "think touch" or "think touch turn".
I personally found it on Bill Malone's dvd's "On the loose", but doing some searches here on the Café, I found it was first published in a Linking Rings issue.

Hope this helps,
Francesco
HoDinhYu
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of HoDinhYu
There's a twisted version Observation Test in the recent Genii. At the end the colour changes also.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Paul Cummings' FASDIU has two of the best variations of what you're looking for ...

Overtwist
Of the classic twisting genre, in this routine the four Queens are first used in a twisting routine and then instantly change into a previously selected card and its mates without going back to the deck.

Overtwist Minor
An outgrowth of Paul's Overtwist, in this twisting routine the Queens first turn face down individually, and then the Queen of the same suit as the selection changes into that selection. A very clean handling.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
You could also consider "Hoftwister" in The Complete Works of Alex Elmsley.
So much to do, so little time . . .
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Bro. John Hamman's trick "twisting revisited" would fit the bill I think - there are 2 versions in either the book "The Secrets Of Bro. John Hamman" or the DVD set "Lost works of Bro. John Hamman" - which is compiled from the footage taken while compiling the book.

The trick isn't presented as a card changing to a selection, but to an odd coloured card (eg 4S to 4H) but it could easily be adapted.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Turnabout II by Jim Swain from his first book 'Don't Blink'. Been doing this for almost 20 years. Hard to beat!
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
Thanks for all the suggestions (and apologies for being somewhat slow at responding). They all sound good - but will have to take a look at getting some of the books mentioned (I can't find the Hamman trick in "The Secrects of Bro. John Hamman under that name, so imagine it's on the dvd). I've been enjoying Jim Swain's "Miracles with Cards" (well, the tricks that are within my grasp) and would like to read more of his work. And the Elmsley book has been on my list for a while - so I will maybe see what I can order. Again, thanks for the suggestions.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
"Twisting Revisited"

Disc #1 of 6/"The Lost Works of Bro. John Hamman"

Smile
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2016, carlyle wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions (and apologies for being somewhat slow at responding). They all sound good - but will have to take a look at getting some of the books mentioned (I can't find the Hamman trick in "The Secrects of Bro. John Hamman under that name, so imagine it's on the dvd)...

It's in the book too, but you're right, it's under the names (2 versions) "Bro. Hamman's First Twist" and "Bro. Hamman's Second Twist".
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
Ah, thanks! Hamman's "First Twist" is one of the things I've been playing with, so thanks for the clarification.

And today I finally found the original idea that lead to my post - Don England's "Twisted Hofzinser" from "Best of Friends" volume 1 (Harry Lorayne). I'm wondering how much it's like the aforementioned "Hoftwister" by Elmsley (and now I really want that book!)
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Carlyle, you can get digit versions of both Elmsley volumes for $20 each if you can't find the hardback versions:

http://llepub.com/index.php?main_page=ad......a&page=3
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
Thanks for the link, ThomasJ. I still prefer "real" books (well, printed books - e-books are real books too, of course). But more and more thinking of learning more about e-books - prices seem loads beter, and always available.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
I always prefer the real thing, too...these volumes are just hard to find, and as you mentioned, fairly expensive when you do find them.
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Quote:
On Dec 27, 2015, Francesco_Menegazzo wrote:
Carlyle, maybe you are referring to Ed Marlo's "think touch" or "think touch turn".
I personally found it on Bill Malone's dvd's "On the loose", but doing some searches here on the Café, I found it was first published in a Linking Rings issue.

Hope this helps,
Francesco

"Think-Touch-Turn" is from The New Tops magazine.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Twisting aces and selection (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL