We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you lot get tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Imperistan
View Profile
Regular user
Holland
106 Posts

Profile of Imperistan
I do think that working for tips only is not good. I think getting tips is nice, but it's not the major thing of performing magic in restaurants. (is that a good sentence?? Smile ). If I would get 400 a week only in tips, I would take them also Smile

Imperistan
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
STOP IT! PLEASE! MY EYES ARE BLEEDING! (lol... just kidding) However, stop talking about tips please. Its been convered numerous times and is completely pointless to argue about an OPINION. Thank you.

Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
STOP IT! PLEASE! MY EYES ARE BLEEDING! (lol... just kidding) However, stop talking about tips please. Its been convered numerous times and is completely pointless to argue about an OPINION. Thank you.

Daniel GreenWolf

Posts on topics about tips are usualy about tips!
if not they will be deleted for going off topic!
Phillip
RayAnderson
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
41 Posts

Profile of RayAnderson
Ahhh...tips...should I take them or should I not? what a wonderful question that is...I have talked to magicians who write on upside down on their close up pad...tipping is not a city in china
or some other stupid phrase...or that I work for tips.

Here is my opinion...(just my opinion doesn't make me wrong or right)

When I worked resturants I didn't take tips ever...I charged enough money so that I didn't have to take tips. I did that for a few reasons...not everyone has tons of money burning in their pocket ...and not everyone is able to go out and eat at a resturant five or six nights a week. But more often when they do it is a special thing...once a week the family goes out and goes to their Fav resturant...the kids go Mom Dad ...lets go to the resturant where the magician is ...cause he/she is so much fun.
but if everytime they go they think that the only way you will come to their table is if they tip you...they stop coming then the next family who all loves you stops coming...and so on so forth.

Also lets say you just worked for a family and they loved you, at the end of your performance they reach out and give your five or ten dollars. A table three tables over from the one you are performing at are watching you and the kids are so excited...they so want to see you, but they don't think they will have enough money to pay for their meal, tip the waitress...and tip you as well...so the children go home unhappy because they didn't get to see the "magician"

When someone oftered me a tip at a resturant I say two things...one: thanks so much but I don't accept tips...they say we really want you to take this and the mananger won't see you. I say its not the managers choice its mine...thanks very much but they pay me very well for what I do...and I am not really sure what I do yet (gets a laugh) and the waiters/waitress work harder than I do...so if you liked what I do ...please leave them a good tip.

The waiters'waitress will want you to continue at the resturant...and when a new GM (general manger) comes in...and he wants to save a few bucks by getting rid of the magician the wait staff will go to bat for you..(because their tips when you work are higher)

Also when someone at the resturant wants to hire you for a gig outside the resturant...when you said I get paid really well for what I do...they will remember that...and think before they call you that you are going to be expensive. So you now make more money on your one off gigs.

last but not when I go up to a table and introduce myself I say I am a pro magician that the resturant has brought in here to amaze confuse delight the audience...because the management wants the best for their customers...people love free things...and so its makes them feel warm and fuzzy all over.

so I could have settled on the $400.00 in tips extra a week, well because of the way I worked my tables at resturants, I no longer work them...I just work high end corporate gigs...and trade shows... I charge more than $400.00 per hour a show...so well I am now working less..making more...and I still don't have to feel like I am begging at the tables...I just perform at my best...always ...and it has paid off.

PS...I do take Tips when working corporate events...and it is usually $100.00 tip (most I have received is $300.00 on a gig...but I am not taking them from one table...I get it from the event planner...or the person that hired me...which is the same as the Resturant manager saying you are doing such a great job with our clients...here is $50 more a week)

Have fun
Magically yours and tip free

Ray Anderson
http://www.coolmagician.com
Ray Anderson
www.coolmagician.com
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Ray, that was the most sensible post in this thread. It was a pleasure to read it. I do restaurants, corporate hospitality gigs as well as product launches and weddings. I could relate to everything you said, your widom and experience shines through.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2004-03-07 05:05, p.b.jones wrote:
There is not a bloody thing wrong with working for tips.

Hi,
Well this is just down to opinion, as you can see many people are against it here in this small group therefore as much as you try and deny it a percentage (perhaps large percentage) of people do not like to tip/have a low opinion of those that except them. sorry but to me taking tips is no different than begging ...
Phillip

Phillip, that is a cultural difference. In the UK I know that tipping is not done. However, here in the U.S. it is a very accepted way of earning income and is NOT begging.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12085 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2004-03-01 07:15, Peter Marucci wrote:
Eddy writes: "In a restaurant when you are doing table magic, how do you get tips? "

You don't.

Oh, sure; others will say that they make a lot of money from tips. But, then, you find magicians who beat their spouses, use drugs, and believe in the tooth fairy (or, at least, Bush).

...I believe in Bush!

Quote:
Also lets say you just worked for a family and they loved you, at the end of your performance they reach out and give your five or ten dollars. A table three tables over from the one you are performing at are watching you and the kids are so excited...they so want to see you, but they don't think they will have enough money to pay for their meal, tip the waitress...and tip you as well...so the children go home unhappy because they didn't get to see the "magician"

Why wouldn't the other table get to see the magician? I work in a ton of restaurants and never, ever solicit tips but if they are offered I accept and say thank you.

Don't be paranoid about what could happen and maybe not if you take tips, just take them. Some folks just want to show their appreciation and give a tip. Nothin' wrong with that. Be gracious and accept it. Doesn't mean that you are not going to be offered a corporate gig or whatever. Com'n!

On the other hand, if I can tell that the family is a little nar' to do (sometimes you can tell) I just leave quickly or if they offer a tip I just say, that's ok I enjoyed myself. Simple.

I have a few magic friends that actually wear little buttons that say tips appreciated or something like that. To solicit a tip by performing a money trick for that purpose is low class. But to take a tip there is nothing wrong with that.

John Cesta
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I have been doing restraunt magic for a little over six years. Not a lot but I think I am no longer a beginner. I have never asked for a tip but if someone offers it I do take it. I have many repeat customers sometimes they tip sometimes they don't, but either way I spend time with them. I have never change the way I work at a table based off of a tip or prior tip. I have actually tried at times to turn down tips and have had customers get out and out mad at me. A comment like "Just take the Darn thing" or words of that manner came out. When I first started I did take the tips at all and the manager received many comment cards asking for me to do it. I figure if it makes them feel better why should I stop them. So, if someone wants to tip you I say take it with graditude.
Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Phillip, that is a cultural difference. In the UK I know that tipping is not done. However, here in the U.S. it is a very accepted way of earning income and is NOT begging.

Hi,
please look up all the threads on tips including this one and you will see that it is not just a cultural difference
MacGyver,Peter Marucci,Mr Amazeo,mandrake01, on this thread for example do not take tips.
phillip
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
DON'T ASK FOR TIPS!
Blake S.
RayAnderson
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
41 Posts

Profile of RayAnderson
John I don't have a problem with other taking tips...that is a choice they have made...but I do know I have stopped working in resturants and make more than a six figure income...so I have chosen the high path...charge enough for what I do (even when I worked resturants ...and well I don't have to ever worry about someone wanting to see me, and feeling they shouldn't ask because they feel I would expect them to tip me.

Again its just my opinion...but I went from making $600.00 dollars a week working resturants to making alot more working other events because people saw that I was a pro...and my doctor, lawyer and denist are pros and when I goto their office...and they do a great job...I don't give them a two dollar tip and say well done...because I know they are getting paid well for what they did for me.

So as a professional...I just don't take them...because I don't need to...also when people used to see me at a resturant and I would turn down tips...they would go wow...he must be making alot of money working as a magician.

Hey guys...all I am saying is step up...want to be a pro...act like one...just my opinion

Ray Anderson
http://www.coolmagician.com
Ray Anderson
www.coolmagician.com
JEFFC
View Profile
New user
RI
70 Posts

Profile of JEFFC
Quote:
On 2004-03-01 07:15, Peter Marucci wrote:
Eddy writes: "In a restaurant when you are doing table magic, how do you get tips? "

You don't.

Oh, sure; others will say that they make a lot of money from tips. But, then, you find magicians who beat their spouses, use drugs, and believe in the tooth fairy (or, at least, Bush). So what?
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com

Do you mean the President of the United States of America?
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
..... Do you seriously even have to ask that Jeff? I mean, come on.....

C. Vernon Bitter
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
JEFFC
View Profile
New user
RI
70 Posts

Profile of JEFFC
Quote:
On 2004-03-11 17:12, Darck Ninja wrote:
..... Do you seriously even have to ask that Jeff? I mean, come on.....

C. Vernon Bitter

Mr. Bitter,
Apparently I do.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Then yes, Peter meant President Bush.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Receiving tips adds to your income. Properly done, no one is pressured and all feel good. I look at restaurant work as subsidized advertising for my business, so as long as I am getting $50/hr. with a minimum of two hours and it is not too much trouble, (travel, distance, mess) I will work there and not worry about tips.

There are ways to generate more tips and that I think was the question of the orginal post. So rather than post about the moral superiority of not working for tips, are there any real suggestions for increasing the opportunity for people to offer you tips?

One of the obvious ones is to get the money on the table by doing a trick with a bill. Make it a good trick and you last one and they will more than likely let you keep it. It is up to you to decide whether to do it with a $1, $5, $10, you get the idea. I don't think you should imply in word or action that you expect to receive the bill.

Kirk
JEFFC
View Profile
New user
RI
70 Posts

Profile of JEFFC
Quote:
On 2004-03-12 10:16, James Harrison wrote:
Then yes, Peter meant President Bush.

I shall continue then. With all due respect to Mr. Marucci and some of the excellent advice in matters magic that I have seen, I believe that politics and religion (my dictionary doesn't have "religeon" as posted is one individuals profile interests) are not to be part of these magical posts. I happen to think that this is a good rule, but that doesn't matter, it's still a rule.
I'm sure to get bashed for being a newbie and being so forward, but I enjoy coming here and not having to get involved in politics. I afford myself plenty of other opportunities to get into "discussions" for my political beliefs. Also, I believe that the office of President of the United States of America merits some respect. Even I offered Clinton a certain amount of respect for being President (ok, maybe that wasn't necessary).
snedglow
View Profile
New user
Pine Grove, PA
94 Posts

Profile of snedglow
I have a comment on the supposed stealing of lines.

Using something someone else did does not constitute stealing. That's hogwash.

How many of you heard a joke at work, on the bus, at dinner, etc. and told it later to a friend or family member? Were you stealing that joke from it's creator?

Just because someone else might have said something doesn't necessarily mean it's their property for all time. You don't like that? Call the Library of Congress and register the statement.

Oh and BTW, after you get a copyright on your sentence, I dare you to try and enforce it. It "ain't" gonna happen.

-R
-Randy
[email]rsnedden@closeupmagic.org[/email]
Smile
~~~~~
“Chance is but the pseudonym of God for those particular cases which He does not choose to subscribe to openly with His own signature ... ”
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Snedglow writes: "Using something someone else did does not constitute stealing. That's hogwash.
How many of you heard a joke at work, on the bus, at dinner, etc. and told it later to a friend or family member? Were you stealing that joke from it's creator?"

There's a whole world of difference between one person's telling a friend a joke and a performer's being paid for telling jokes to an audience.

You can sing Happy Birthday at home and not have to pay the royalties.
But if you do it on network TV, for example, that's another ball game! (And it's going to cost you!)

Theft is theft, whether you're stealing cars or lines; it's that simple -- except maybe to the thief!
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1304 Posts

Profile of Colin
Some great advice there guys, thanks for taking the time! Really appreciate you passing on some pro ideas!

Best Wishes,
Colin
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How do you lot get tips (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL