The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Easy way to convert a regular cup to a chop cup? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1532 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I have a set of copper Paul Fox-style cups that I absolutely love. The problem is that the only cups and balls routine that I've ever loved performing was one that I worked up years ago with a combo set. I do not want to wear a magnetic ring, and I also don't want to have to buy a new set of cups. That said, any ideas on how I could convert one of the cups to a chop cup?
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
You could glue a magnet to the bottom, but you wouldn't be able to show it empty. But I doubt you want to glue a magnet in your expensive cups.
Reality is a real killjoy.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8564 Posts

Profile of funsway
Back before Wheatley popularized using a magnetic gaff there were many ways of gimmicking a cup.

ask, "how can I retain a ball when desired and leave no evidence if examined?"

I used to carry a bamboo skewer to gaff a styofoam cup using creamers or jelly containers as balls.

Break it off to length, wedge inside and remove when no longer needed. A little wrist flip is all tat is need to retain or release. (or cup rotation)

Your cup design may suggest solutions. PM me if desired.

Even chewing gum and a match stick can work to create a little ledge.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1987 Posts

Profile of puggo
A possible solution could be a non ring gimmick such as used in Axel Hecklau's 'Just a Cup' (other variants are available or can be made).
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
JUST USE GLUE YOU COULD LATER REMOVE
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1077 Posts

Profile of BCS
Rick... I agree with the others, glue a magnet inside and try it. If it works and you are happy, you can fill the void with some resin and paint the inside to camouflage what you did to gaff the Cup. Hobby Lobby is a great place to find what you need... I wish you luck and please let us know what you end up doing.

Long ago I think I purchased some Traditional style copper Cups from you... a set of Harries Cups. You had removed the protective coating, they have a nice brown patina.

Take care,
Bruce
padre rich
View Profile
Elite user
500 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I was told that a famous performer/actor did just what Pete said to do for his cup routine which is presented like a lesson in the history of the cups and balls. Supposedly he just glued a magnet to the inside of one of his Paul Fox/ Danny Dew cups. Nobody suspects anything.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I would put a magnet in and stick it with something less permanent than glue but still dependable. You could paint the magnet the color of your cup at the start. Hobby Lobby would have the magnets, paints and glue. And if you can do the standard routine you only show one cup empty as you go through all three.

Having three chopped cups as with the Mikame set, removes a suspicious/needless step from the Menendez routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Easy way to convert a regular cup to a chop cup? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL