The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alakazam vlog exposes tequila hustler process (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
T.G. Jones
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of T.G. Jones
As I said, it just goes to show how naive you are. The Alakazam Video Blog is for magicians, not magicians wives! Smile If he performed it for your wife directly he would fool her.
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Profile of ManchurianMan83
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, nonprofitmagic wrote:
She only saw the performance, not the stuff before and after it. It was a performance that did not fool magicians, mentalists, or laymen. I blame the method, not Peter Nardi. You on the other hand blame Peter Nardi and not the method.

Kevin

Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, T.G. Jones wrote:
That just goes to show how naive you are. The Alakazam Video Blog is for magicians, not magicians wives! Smile If he performed it for your wife directly he would fool her.

Peter was not 'performing' Tequila Hustler; he was 'demonstrating' it, as they do with all the tricks they show off when they can.

The difference between a 'performance' and a 'demonstration' is miles apart, and if there are performers out there who genuinely don't understand what the key differences are between the two then I would respectfully have to say 'put the magic items down and walk away'.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
As I said, it just goes to show how naive you are. The Alakazam Video Blog is for magicians, not magicians wives! Smile If he performed it for your wife directly he would fool her.

If he performed it exactly like in the blog how would he ? Peter normally performs the effects on the blog as if it was to a lay audience so you see the power of it to a lay crowd as that is all that matters not if it fools magicians or not . My assumption is his performance in the blog is how he performs it or at least would perform it to a lay crowd . His patter on the blog suggested it was a real performance but anyway Peter is not too blame it's just a weak method based on a very old principle .
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of nonprofitmagic
She is not the only lay person who has not been fooled by this logic puzzle. There are some tricks where no matter how intelligent you are, you will be fooled. This, on the other hand, was badly exposed...and hence the video was taken down. In other words, a performance WILL reveal the secret to intelligent and logical people.

Kevin

Quote:
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, Tarik Flash wrote:
Peter normally performs the effects on the blog as if it was to a lay audience

No.

As I said above, Peter does not 'perform' the tricks on the blog, he 'demonstrates' them.

He runs a magic shop, selling magic products for magicians; his target demographic in his blogs are magicians.

He may be doing what you might construe as a 'performance' but don't think for one second that that is how Peter ACTUALLY performs when at a proper paid gig!

His goal is not trying to fool people, he is not trying to fool a lay person (the vlogs are not aimed at them), he is simply showing what a performance might look like from beginning to end in regards to simplicity of method.
Can you perform this easily?
What does it look like?

Case in point, If how he demonstrated the Pantera wallet in the past vlog is how he actually 'performs' (where he just flat out told Dave what he drew with absolutely no mind reading presentation whatsoever) then we should all agree that's a terrible performance.
No one here judged the wallet on that though did they? I still bought it!
Because of how it was performed? HAHA Hell no!

It was purely to indicate how effective the peek is; I would seriosuly hope no one using the Pantera wallet simply flat out tells their audience what they've just peeked a moment ago!

Seriously, if there are performers out there performing magic using these 'demonstrations' as indications of how to perform then...it's no wonder threads like this exist.

It's a demo, not a performance, whose target audience is not lay folk, but magicians.
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

In the pantera vlog, he explicitly revealed the method. In the tequila hustler vlog, he said not one word about the method. Peter is not to blame. The method was simply revealed by the words uttered in the process to achieve the effect.

Kevin

Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, ManchurianMan83 wrote:
Quote:

No.

As I said above, Peter does not 'perform' the tricks on the blog, he 'demonstrates' them.

He runs a magic shop, selling magic products for magicians; his target demographic in his blogs are magicians.

He may be doing what you might construe as a 'performance' but don't think for one second that that is how Peter ACTUALLY performs when at a proper paid gig!
He is not trying to fool you, he is not trying to fool a lay person (the vlogs are not aimed at them), he is simply showing what a performance might look like from beginning to end in regards to simplicity of method.
What does it look like?

Case in point, If how he demonstrated the Pantera wallet in the past vlog is how he actually 'performs' (where he just flat out told Dave what he drew with absolutely no mind reading presentation whatsoever) then...well I'm not even going to grace the rest of this hypothesis with any more text because I'm 100% certain peter himself will come on here and say that's not how he actually performs at paid gigs.
It was purely to indicate how effective the peek is; yet I would seriosuly hope no one using that wallet simply flat out tells their audience what they've just peeked!

It's a demo, not a performance, whose target audience is not lay folk, but magicians.

Seriously, if there are performers out there performing magic using these 'demonstrations' as indications of how to perform then...it's no wonder threads like this exist.
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Quote:
In the pantera vlog, he explicitly revealed the method. In the tequila hustler vlog, he said not one word about the method. Peter is not to blame. The method was simply revealed by the words uttered in the process to achieve the effect.

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

No.

He is not trying to fool you, he is not trying to fool a lay person (the vlogs are not aimed at them), he is simply showing what a performance might look like from beginning to end in regards to simplicity of method.
What does it look like?

Case in point, If how he demonstrated the Pantera wallet in the past vlog is how he actually 'performs' (where he just flat out told Dave what he drew with absolutely no mind reading presentation whatsoever) then...well I'm not even going to grace the rest of this hypothesis with any more text because I'm 100% certain peter himself will come on here and say that's not how he actually performs at paid gigs.
It was purely to indicate how effective the peek is; yet I would seriosuly hope no one using that wallet simply flat out tells their audience what they've just peeked!

Missing the point.

Doesn't change the fundamental fact that you, and your wife, are judging a tricks effctiveness based on a performance which I've been trying to point out is not the purpose of fooling, but selling a product.

Look, here is the fundamental difference.
Listen up, because it's bloody important!

A demonstration is aimed at selling a product; not a performance.
When you go out and perform at paid gigs, YOUR job now is to sell the performance; not the product.

It's a complete focus shift and emphasis gets weighted on a completely different approach.

Regardless of what the trick is, Tequila Hustler or otherwise, using a magic shops 'demonstration' as a indicator of a trick/method's effectiveness is flawed from the start.

It's not Peter's job to show how you perform a trick; it's his job to show what it's like to perform...so that his target demographic can make better informed purchasing decisions...not so that magicians wives can watch and be fooled or not.
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

To your point then, let me state this:

Demonstrations of many effects do not result in obvious exposure because the methods are robust.

Demonstration of Tequila Hustler resulted in easy exposure. Hence, this demo was removed.

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

No.

What does it look like?

Missing the point.

Doesn't change the fundamental fact that you, and your wife, are judging a tricks effctiveness based on a performance which I've been trying to point out is not the purpose of fooling, but selling a product.

When you go out and perform at paid gigs, YOUR job now is to sell the performance; not the product.

It's a complete focus shift and emphasis gets weighted on a completely different approach.

Regardless of what the trick is, Tequila Hustler or otherwise, using a magic shops 'demonstration' as a indicator of a trick/method's effectiveness is flawed from the start.

It's not Peter's job to show how you perform a trick; it's his job to show what it's like to perform...so that his target demographic can make better informed purchasing decisions...not so that magicians wives can watch and be fooled or not.
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Quote:

Demonstrations of many effects do not result in obvious exposure because the methods are robust.

Demonstration of Tequila Hustler resulted in easy exposure. Hence, this demo was removed.

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

No.

What does it look like?

Missing the point.

To which you mistakenly regard as a weak method.

You're still failing to grasp what the ultimate difference is between a shop performance and a paid gig performance otherwise this wouldnt even be being discussed.

A demonstration is a stripped away skeleton performance; it's got no bells, no whistles, it's just a 'means to an end' demonstration of the fact that with this method you can get from point A to point B.
However, I would seriosuly advise performers to not be going out performing these bare bones stripped away style performances because, guess what?, they put heavy emphasis on the method...
why?....
because it was a "performance" used by a shop to sell that method to you.
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Let me ask you a q: why do you think this demo was taken down?

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

No.

What does it look like?

Missing the point.

You're still failing to grasp what the ultimate difference is between a shop performance and a paid gig performance otherwise this wouldnt even be being discussed.

A demonstration is a stripped away skeleton performance; it's got no bells, no whistles, it's just a 'means to an end' demonstration of the fact that with this method you can get from point A to point B.
However, I would seriosuly advise performers to not be going out performing these bare bones stripped away style performances because, guess what?, they put heavy emphasis on the method...
why?....
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
923 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Stop feeding trolls.
Come on, we're better than that...
Reader discretion is advised.
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Quote:
Let me ask you a q: why do you think this demo was taken down?

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

Kevin

Quote:
Quote:

No.

What does it look like?

Missing the point.

why?....

I'm not talking about why it was removed.
I'm not talking about whether it was exposed or not, or whether it should have been, I'm talking about this attitude that just because in a demonstration it didn't hold up to scrutiny, that that equates to a weak method.

I was talking about the idea that this demo should be used to judge a methods effectiveness at fooling someone (like by having your wife watch it and work it out)

The fact it was removed has absolutely no impact on that particular point of discussion.
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

A contrary line of thought to consider....

A method like Tequila Hustler, where if handled badly/incorrectly , can be worked out does not make it 'weak'...it mean's it's 'fragile'!
Before any comments come in to suggest such, no, I'm not saying Peter handled it badly...it just clearly doesn't 'demonstrate' well.

Dictionary definitions suggest they mean the same thing, or at least, share strong similarities yet in the context of magic, we seem to give the term 'weak' the inherent suggestion that it's bad and should be avoided...
Fragile/weak actually means 'delicate and vulnerable'.

A method like Tequila Hustlers where it is so delicate and potentially open to being worked out should be handled like you would any item that is fragile.
With care and respect.

Just grabbing it and 'having a go' is not how you treat something that should be considered fragile.

Having your wife watch a striped away, method focusing sales performance of a 'fragile' method/trick, where she works it out, and then judging the method on that would be like suggesting that because you chucked a vase at your wife and she dropped it and broke it, that the vase is weak and was clearly not designed to handle that sort of treatment.

Well, no, clearly.
But then, you don't go around chucking vases.
Same applies here.
You don't perform TH like Peter did.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I didn't see the vlog so it's hard to comment but I'm assuming it was the basic presentation and probably without the date part. The basic presentation is just that a basic presentation used to explain the method and not the ideal way to perform this effect. It then goes on to discuss how Mark actually performs this and then gives routines by Pete Turner, Colin McLeod and Michael Murray.

If you perform the basic presentation with no delay between the questions and no discernible process then yes this effect wouldn't stand up. This is true of a multitude of methods including imps and peeks. The core method used in this has been used in a multitude of effects with great success by Barrie Richardson, Bannacek and Leo Boudreaux. What is new about TH is the innocence of the questions, usually this method relies on a question that stands out. The questions in TH are extremely innocent and as a result it is far easier to hide the method.

However Mentalism relies on the performer establishing some credibility. Something not really possible in a magic vlog where the basic effect is being presented in the context of here is a trick you can buy. TH is not a good magic trick, it's not suited to be used in that context. The key to performing Mentalism is establishing credibility, once you have do a good job of that and you can use bold methods that a magician could never get away with.

Pete Turner's opening effect from his Penguin lecture is a perfect demonstration of this. He fooled a room full of magicians with the most obvious solution to the plot possible with no more than words. There is far more to TH book than simply the basic presentation. However I would say that If you are a magician TH is not for you, it is not designed to be presented as a trick, that simply makes it a puzzle to be solved.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 12, 2015, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I didn't see the vlog so it's hard to comment but I'm assuming it was the basic presentation and probably without the date part. The basic presentation is just that a basic presentation used to explain the method and not the ideal way to perform this effect. It then goes on to discuss how Mark actually performs this and then gives routines by Pete Turner, Colin McLeod and Michael Murray.

If you perform the basic presentation with no delay between the questions and no discernible process then yes this effect wouldn't stand up. This is true of a multitude of methods including imps and peeks. The core method used in this has been used in a multitude of effects with great success by Barrie Richardson, Bannacek and Leo Boudreaux. What is new about TH is the innocence of the questions, usually this method relies on a question that stands out. The questions in TH are extremely innocent and as a result it is far easier to hide the method.

However Mentalism relies on the performer establishing some credibility. Something not really possible in a magic vlog where the basic effect is being presented in the context of here is a trick you can buy. TH is not a good magic trick, it's not suited to be used in that context. The key to performing Mentalism is establishing credibility, once you have do a good job of that and you can use bold methods that a magician could never get away with.

Pete Turner's opening effect from his Penguin lecture is a perfect demonstration of this. He fooled a room full of magicians with the most obvious solution to the plot possible with no more than words. There is far more to TH book than simply the basic presentation. However I would say that If you are a magician TH is not for you, it is not designed to be presented as a trick, that simply makes it a puzzle to be solved.

Mark

Everything you said. 100%.

Presentation, motivation, time delay and credibility.
All things needed in a real world performance, and all things lacking from a demo.
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

100% agreed...let's consider it a fragile method. This is a prime example of how intelligent conversation and openness to embrace other's viewpoints can help move forward the conversation. I appreciate your thoughts, mm83!

Kevin

Quote:
A contrary line of thought to consider....

A method like Tequila Hustler, where if handled badly/incorrectly , can be worked out does not make it 'weak'...it mean's it's 'fragile'!
Before any comments come in to suggest such, no, I'm not saying Peter handled it badly...it just clearly doesn't 'demonstrate' well.

Dictionary definitions suggest they mean the same thing, or at least, share strong similarities yet in the context of magic, we seem to give the term 'weak' the inherent suggestion that it's bad and should be avoided...
Fragile/weak actually means 'delicate and vulnerable'.

A method like Tequila Hustlers where it is so delicate and potentially open to being worked out should be handled like you would any item that is fragile.
With care and respect.

Just grabbing it and 'having a go' is not how you treat something that should be considered fragile.

Having your wife watch a striped away, method focusing sales performance of a 'fragile' method/trick, where she works it out, and then judging the method on that would be like suggesting that because you chucked a vase at your wife and she dropped it and broke it, that the vase is weak and was clearly not designed to handle that sort of treatment.

Well, no, clearly.
But then, you don't go around chucking vases.
Same applies here.
You don't perform TH like Peter did.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Funnily though Dave loosely acted absolutely stunned in Petes demonstration so he clearly certainly wasn't acting it out like a demonstration but much more like a lay reaction . So MM83 you are saying that Petes performances are all demonstrations but Dave Loosely forgot to read the script or they are both singing off different pages . Let's be fair and honest it wouldn't have been removed if there were no issues with it .
ManchurianMan83
View Profile
Veteran user
United Kingdom
305 Posts

Quote:
Funnily though Dave loosely acted absolutely stunned in Petes demonstration so he clearly certainly wasn't acting it out like a demonstration but much more like a lay reaction . So MM83 you are saying that Petes performances are all demonstrations but Dave Loosely forgot to read the script or they are both singing off different pages . Let's be fair and honest it wouldn't have been removed if there were no issues with it .

uhh.... I never suggested Peter's demonstrations were 'scripted'.
Dave may very well not have seen it before.

But, that still doesn't mean that the way Peter performed it to Dave (and by extension, us) is the way he would perform it if he was ACTUALLY being paid at a gig, or the way anyone else should perform it for that fact.

Putting the method aside, simply telling Dave that he was lying and that the coin was in his left hand is hardly the most engaging of performances.

Neither was his performance of the Pantera, where he simply told Dave what he drew pretty much one minute after he'd drawn it.

If our purchasing decisions were based on 'engaging performance', then no one would be buying the pantera wallet.

I know I certainly didn't buy the wallet just so I could tell my spectators immediately what they drew the moment they put the card away in the wallet.
So, just like with the Pantera, you also don't perform TH the way Peter did.

I'll say it one more time...

it's a sales performance aimed at magicians to show what a method can do, not a how to guide that anyone should be following verbatim as an actual way of presentation.

I am 100% certain Peter can, and does, perform this (and any effect he demo's on the vlog) with much more thought and effort when he's at a real paying gig.
In fact, he said as much in the actual vlog.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
When posting a response, it's not necessary to quote every single previous post in its entirety.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
As always MM83 does talk a lot of sense and has kindly shared with me some great ideas it's just this is a speculation thread and I am probably wrong as usual lol so no hard feelings to anyone . Also png kindly pmed me with a different take on this and hands up ( no pun intended ) I can now see this working played slightly differently and in the right hands ( pun intended ) , I think with his take on this it is much more workable 😊 Also I love Alakazam and their vlogs got that right at last keep keep saying blogs and of course I know that both Peter and Dave are very good performers both professionally and on demos , it's only opinions and everyone should have the right to express theirs and also be allowed to also be free to change their minds a bit like in this effect if they want to without feeling bad . I certainly do a lot if someone proves things otherwise . Best to all Tarik .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Alakazam vlog exposes tequila hustler process (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL