The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy routine books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Hi All
I'm looking for books that are based on all comedy magic routines for stand up. I find routines here and there in a lot of books. But I wanted to know if there are any books that deal with comedy stand up magic only. I have been looking but can't seem to find any.Can you great minds here in the Café help?
Thanks
-Dan
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22450 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You are correct, there are none. Just the Harry Anderson book, Mike Caveney's Magicomedy, Terry Seabrooke's Book, Around the World with a Baking Tin.

That's it. We do need more stage presentations published. But, close-up is easier to market faster and more often.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
There's also the Comedy Magic Handbook by David Roper. It's a little dated, but still has some good stuff in it. I don't know of many other books, but there are some good DVDs out there - Martin Lewis' new DVDs are great, and David Regal's fourth one in his latest series has some good stand up on it as well.
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Thanks for the ideas. I have the Harry Anderson book that I like alot. Will check out the others and maybe the DVD's to. But I must say that I enjoy a good book the best.
Thanks,
-Dan
danmonroe.bravehost.com
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Are you looking for books that cover a number of routines, or books soley based around one routine?

Con Steal Mints is the first in my Howie Duhzit series which puts tested (original) comedy and simple escapes together. Each booklet will be based around a single routine.

Con Steals Mints will soon be carried
elsewhere (starting in April) under the title Correlation once it is professionally printed through Jorgenson Ink. CSM is just done off my own printer.

Not trying to pump my own products, just trying to help. Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of the best books for a comedy magician to purchase is Steve Allen's "How to be Funny." While all of these comedy routine books are good to have, there is the temptation to actually go out and perform these routines. It's a mistake to do it. Let me explain why.

You aren't Harry Anderson. You are also not Terry Seabrooke. You are also not Mike Caveney. If you go out onstage and do one of their routines, verbatim, you will probably get a lot of laughs, but they won't be your laughs. If, however, you use those routines as a starting point and begin to modify them to fit your own personality, you will have a routine that works much better for you.

I have worked with a number of top comics and a number of "bottom" comics, if that is the opposite! Even the lowest of the "bottom" comics worked out his own material. And even if you have purchased complete television rights to all that material, it won't fit you at all. It will be like walking into Harry Anderson's house, buying his used coat and hat, putting them on and going onstage with them. They just won't fit.

Many years ago, Terry Seabrooke gave me permission to use his wristchopper routine. Before I ever took it onstage, I modified virtually every line in it, until it fit me.

But I used his routine as a model. And that's what I would suggest you do, too.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
Bill I agree with you. And that's really what I do. I get ideas and completly change things or add things to make my own routine. I also do the same with effects that I buy. I hardly ever use the patter that comes with a trick. I like to make it unique to myself and my style of performing. I feel everybody should do that. But I'm always looking for new and old ideas to create new routines. I find myself looking through lots of old books of things long forgoten by most and trying to update for the crowds of today. I just have had a hard time finding stand up material. Everything is geared at close-up. Which that is fine to because I also do a lot of close-up. It's just that most of my shows are stand-up and I'm always trying to come up with new routines for repeat shows.

-Dan Smile
danmonroe.bravehost.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Comedy routine books? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL