The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello everyone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

oliverho
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of oliverho
Hi from an unseasonably warm Toronto. Just a short note to introduce myself. I'm interested primarily in mentalism--I'm a hobbyist. Used to be more involved in magic and performing when I was younger and living on the west coast. I wish you all the best of the season Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Oliverho,

Since you had been into Magic, what got you into Mentalism (Mentalism is a part of Magic from my perspective but I know what you mean).

Happy Holidays to you as well.

-Mary Mowder
oliverho
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of oliverho
Thanks Mary--nice to meet you!

I'm not entirely sure what intrigues me about mentalism but I think it has to do with two main things:

- I'd spent some time reading and studying psychology and neurology, not in an academic sense but more as research for a writing project.
- For the past few years I've been working as a writer/editor at a hospital that focuses mostly on mental health and addiction issues, so a lot of my day-to-day work also involves reading about psychology.

I also like thinking about how to apply the sort of techniques that tend to come up in mentalism for communications and storytelling.

And there's also the way my sleight-of-hand skills have significantly degraded since I was younger Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Those skills can come back to a great degree if you practice like you did when you were younger.

There is some advantage to having those skills as some Card Magic works very well in a Mentalism theme.

-Mary Mowder
oliverho
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of oliverho
For sure Smile I'm still practising and trying to learn new sleights. It's fun!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello everyone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL