The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Schrodinger's Magic (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Schrodinger’s Cat

The story of Schrodinger’s Cat is a thought experiment that is used to explain, and perhaps demystify quantum physics. It is the story of a cat that is put in a box containing a radioactive isotope with an exact 50/50 chance of spitting out an atomic particle, a Geiger counter, and a vial of poisonous gas.

If the isotope spits out a neutron, the Geiger counter detects it, and the vial of poisonous gas is broken, and the cat dies. If no neutron is spat out, then the vial isn’t broken, and the cat lives. The question is, without opening the box to see the cat, is the cat dead or alive? The correct answer is that the cat exists in both states, dead and alive, as long as the box remains closed, the field remains intact, and the cat remains unobserved. If, however, the box is opened, then the field collapses, and nature is forced to make the decision regarding the cat’s fate. Can you see how our observations of the event force its outcome?

In Magic, it’s the same thing, except that when the box is opened, and when the field collapses, instead of seeing the cat, (dead, alive, or at the very least extremely ****ed off…), we see a three-foot iguana wearing a Panama hat, smoking a cigar, and sipping on a Mojito.

Cheers.

:coolspot:
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A fine presentation for the die box either way - IE produce the cat.

I thought it was that the cat did not exist, only it's potential, until measured.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ATL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ATL
Great idea of using schrodinger's cat as plot for magic effect. Would it be alright for me to take that idea and possibly put it in a card effect? I think you can already see the connection with blank cards? Have few cards with pictures on them, box, black cat etc. and could basically tell the story about schrödinger's cat with cards using some color changes and productions.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

@Jonathan: Ah, yes...True potential, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

@ATL: Go right ahead. I've been pondering a Schrodinger's Card effect myself for a couple of years now. The plot isn't mine, I'm sure.

My Schrodinger's Card is a face-down card that is the "All-Card", (all the cards at the same time), until we turn it face-up and take a look at it, at which time the field collapses and nature is forced to make a decision as to which card it is, etc. Oh, I see... a Seven of Diamonds... Then we turn the card face-down again. Is it still the same card, or has it reverted back to being the "All-Card"? According to the theory...

Without a t%p c%%%%e, maybe found the answer in a 1914 magic magazine, maybe not. Haven't opened the box yet.

Cheers to all.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15737 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile Cool! I have seen people play poker that way.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

@ATL, there was a guy named Hofzinser who did magic a generation before the time Shrodinger was doing physics. He was thinking along those lines without the dead cats or poisons. Free choice effecting the cards by magic.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I have forgotten how to do it...but there is a way to make a box out of playing cards. Bend certain way and then just put them together to form a pretty uniform little card box. Use blank faced cards....One has pic of cat, one the poison, one the 'whatever it is that degrades or whatever it does...'. Shake box...no sound..shake, no sound....shake and suddenly there is something rattling around inside. Have specs tear open box to find a small plastic "dead" cat. Pic of cat is gone, bottle broken, etc.
Brad Burt
ATL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ATL
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2015, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
@ATL, there was a guy named Hofzinser who did magic a generation before the time Shrodinger was doing physics. He was thinking along those lines without the dead cats or poisons. Free choice effecting the cards by magic.

I looked his wikipedia. Sounds like guy who's performance's I'd enjoy.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Big fan of Schrodinger' stuff.

I have a routine called Schrodinger's Card in my book and on my DVD set.

It is a signed card to sealed envelope but you do not open the envelope. You explain it is a valuable souvenir as their signed card is inside a sealed envelope.... but the only way to find out if it is valuable is to open the envelope to see if their card is inside. However, opening the envelope renders it worthless.

There is a bit more to it than that but that's the bare bones.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
eralph357
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of eralph357
Francis Menotti has a Schrodinger's Card on his Treachery of Tricks DVD, where a card disappears from the deck in a spectator's hands, and reappears in the card box.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I keep thinking it would be fun at a convention of theoretical types to have card selected and signed. Card vanishes and you point to the card box. Open box and dump out dead cat. Card is found in cat's mouth. How to get a regular size cat in a regular card box? Card box is constructed the same way as the Tardis on Dr. Who. Simple and elegant.
Brad Burt
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Getting a type 40 time capsule - see if you can get one for me too. Smile
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

In "Blomberg Laboratories", (auth. Andi Gladwin, pub. Vanishing Inc., (c) 2104), on page 238, there is a stunningly beautiful little routine called Schrodinger's Tie. It's a CAAN type of routine that uses a deck, an envelope, and a ribbon with which to tie up the deck. Crazy, man.

Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Then there's this

"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

I forgot to mention...
You open the box expecting some form of cat,
But instead you see the said cigar-smoking, Mojito-drinking, Panama hat-wearing Iguana.
This critter looks up and sees you,
And between a sip and a puff,
Looks you right dead in the eye, and
Perfectly pronounces your first name.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

? you can do the die box and produce a dove.

not sure about a talking iguana. Maybe a puppet?
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2124 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Here is a performance clip showing my take: www.taylorimaginering.com/shop/schrodinger-ploy

Christopher

NOTE: * No cats were harmed in the making of this effect
** One physicist was lightly bruised, but he deserved it
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15737 Posts

Profile of tommy
It seems to me it is like magic itself in that that it does not exist until it is seen to be. If the magician performs alone he is like the cat in the box. If a cat put a magician in a box then what would the cat know of the magician’s condition before it looked?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3214 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
It is important to remember that the cat thing is a metaphor. I am not that familiar with quantum theory, but in my understanding in the quantum world they are talking about isolated conditions.

In the macro world, there are thousands of other conditions that would be involved, beyond the binary of whether the gas went off or not. The cat could have a heart attack even though the gas didn't kill it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Schrodinger's Magic (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL