The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Induction DVD by Spidey,review? (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S20297
New DVD on stage hypnosis.
I've studied hypnosis for many years.
I've got Anthony Jacquin's all DVD and his ebook.
Ormond Mcgill's encyclopedia book also. And many other book and video on hypnosis.
Does any one got his DVD?
I am considering to buy this,
I would like to know fellow hypnotist's opinion,thanks.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sounds like you have plenty of information.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I would run as far away from this as you can. Anyone that refers to himself as having "superpowers" with such an egotistical approach would not be anywhere close to what I recommend to a beginner seriously interested in learning stage hypnosis. The first 15 seconds of the demo clearly states this. Any hypnotist that used the "I" word so much is not someone I'd ever recommend as either a good performing hypnotist or trainer/educator. You wanted an honest opinion from someone with with experience (and trained by many including Ormond himself), there you go.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Looks pretty unsafe to me. And I seriously doubt he is working 365 days a year.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Maybe as a barman
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of nonprofitmagic
I think Mindopro and Dannydoyle are looking at this DVD as the "real thing". Keep in mind that this is for entertainment purposes.

Kevin
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
He has done big shows (its in the clips) so he knows a thing about stage hypnosis. And he didn't really refer to himself as having super powers he said hypnosis was the nearest thing to a super power. Which I guess is fair enough.

If I were learning or collecting info I think it would be worth a go. Its not expensive... And the horse has already bolted out of the stable. It can't be any worse than some of the crap out there and might even have some good stuff in it.

What I don't understand is if he is doing so well why would he reveal his personal show for under $50? To me that makes no sense something I have never understood with these types of products.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
He seems a lot like the more of the recent trend of magician-turned-"mentalist"-turned-"hypnotist." As far as nonprofitmagic's comment on seeing this as the real thing that is what a proper hypnosis performer should be, not a pretend or fake hypnotist (magician). Also trust me, the audience also cares about this perspective even more than we do. Don't fool yourself to believing otherwise.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2015, nonprofitmagic wrote:
I think Mindopro and Dannydoyle are looking at this DVD as the "real thing". Keep in mind that this is for entertainment purposes.

Kevin

I have no idea what this even means.

My comments were simple and direct. But let me simplify.

It is unsafe to have peole like that. Noises hit knees way too easily. It only takes one to ruin a market for you permanently. It is dumb.

Then I said there is little of any chance of him working 365 days a year. He may very well be busy I have no idea but the 365 claim is just stupid to make.

I agree with mindpunisher in that releasing it for so low a price is suspect in my mind.

I will also say that a hypnotiist that has to inject himself into the skits is making a mistake in my view. Let them be the show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I agree about a hypnotist who has to be the sstar of the show. As for writing new skits? There really isn't much writing to do to create new skits. Its more about engineering situations on stage to bring out the biggest reactions for those on stage. The more elaborate the skit the less funny it is. Even in his clips all the "skits" were older than me! that's not a bad thing though.

Danny is right about potential harm to the market. A lot of amatuers hobbyists think professionals are being mean on here. But the reality is these types of products cause all sorts of problems.
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Hey guys!

SOOOO just thought I would chime in here. I'll just give me two cents and at the end of it if some of you still want to think this project is wrong, at least I will have spoken my peace.

First of all let's talk about the superpower thing. I VERY clearly have stated my whole career that hypnosis is NOT a super power. I just said in the trailer that in my opinion the organic nature of hypnosis, ie: no gimmicks or tricks, makes it the closest thing to a super power

second of all, my level of education: I am a certified hypnotist, but since anyone can get that nowadays with a weekend of online courses, I guess the more pertinent degree is my Bachelors in Social psychology. Also I firmly do believe that a lot of our knowledge on hypnosis nowadays come from actual hard experience. I've met some "certified" hypnotists that were just nonesense!

third, pricing: The DVD is produced and distributed by Murphys, as such they made all decisions on pricing.

fourth, how busy I actually am: No I don't perform 365 nights a year? does anyone? Is that really required to be considered a busy performer? I perform 120 hypnosis shows a year on average for the last 4 years it was less before that for a total of a 10 year career. I am one of the busiest hypnotists in the American/Canadian college market and I think that number is decent enough for me to consider myself a busy performer.

fifth: Me participating in the skits. We can debate this and you might have some good points and I might have some good points at the end of the day I don't believe either is correct or incorrect. I just choose to do it one way because I see certain results in my own performances that I like. If this is the only reason you have for thinking I'm not qualified.... ok!

Oh and I am NOT a magician turned mentalist/hypnotist. I've studied hypnosis separately and is a very different obsession than magic

Look, overall I am proud of this project, I go into much detail about the psychology of performing hypnosis on stage. I don't take any shortcuts or give away scripts without explaining why they work, and at the end I talk about troubleshooting and dealing with issues. In retrospect I COULD have spent a little more time talking about safety at the end of the DVD, probably didn't as much as I should have. But I believe I cover almost everything in enough detail to get someone along the way safely and intelligently. Truth is, someone looking to learn hypnosis is going to go online and purchase one of many sources, some of them are good some of them are crap. I DEFINITELY don't think this is anywhere near crap. Hope those of you who have watched it feel the same way.

I look forward to meeting you all someday and discussing stage hypnosis Smile
Spidey
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the safety thing glossed right over. Dropping them into their laps is really not the safest thing in the world. I have seen more than one nose bleeding after hitting a knee.

"It's a SUPER POWER I have built over the last 15 years". That is YOU and a direct word for word quote.

From the web page "You are about to learn Spidey's full tailored & time-tested hypnotism show that keeps him booked a full 365 days out of every year all over the western hemisphere. You will also learn everything you need to know to build your very own show from scratch."

The production of this trailer seems to indicate the program is FAR LESS than crap. It is probably well worth the 50 bucks. It would certainly be worth the $50 gamble to be sure if you were starting.

As for "certified" I could not possibly agree more.

I am more just put off by the extravagant claims made. The 365 thing is really disturbing. Sorry but it comes off as a lie. I am not saying you are not busy, but really that is an inflated claim and it us bunk as you have indicated. What exactly is a "globally touring show?"

I don't think this is crap. I think it is probably far less crap than most things put out there. (Not a high bar mind you LOL.) But the real question is are there any new offerings in this?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There are many misnomers and misleading elements to this, many of which send up immediate red flags and are off-putting. First, the demo isn't helping you at all. Yes, the working 365 days a year is both incorrect while being some unwarranted chest pounding. Misleading in the fact that it is wrong. Then there is the whole perception that this will take anyone from even no experience to performing stage hypnosis and everything related in this one DVD set. That's what the uninformed will hear.

Next, you are a magician turned hypnotist (which is obvious from your performance on the demo) which is much different foundationally from someone solely coming from hypnosis or even the mental arts. Please don't deny this, again misleading and misrepresenting.

There seems to be a lot of skating around the truth while boasting unnecessarily. As any skilled hypnosis performer know humble will get further, more respect and progress you much farther than being obnoxious. And don't tell me it's the markets you work. I know many college performers that are quite humble and far more successful, both immediate and long-term.

All they "keys to your success" are included on this DVD? The science of hypnosis, covering how to be an entertainer fist and foremost before ever adding the hypnosis, how to create a show, how to deal with problems, how to market, how to book and conduct business to be working 365 days a year....really ALL the keys to your success? All the fundamentals through "master techniques" all in this one DVD set?

The safety, in this day and age should have been paramount to this project as well as the proper insurance coverage.

Then as Danny asked, what is really new on this DVD? You say original routines, that may be but of course wasn't seen in the demo. Perhaps your best bet would have been to have this release reviewed by a credible and established member of this forum or the community before it's release.

I agree it may not be crap, but I also don't for a minute believe it is what it is perceived to be. As you should well know credibility and respect are the first pillars of hypnosis, and the promotional hype seems to not be aware of this.

Understand no one here is trying to tear you or your project down, but simply responding to the information we've been given based on our decades of professional performing experience and awareness of the current and recent trends.
BSpideyA
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of BSpideyA
Thanks for expressing your opinion in a respectful and intelligent way Smile I am aware that sometime advertising overhypes things and I don't feel too much guilt in that regard. I do feel that this project can take someone who knows nothing of hypnosis and give them enough knowledge to put together a decent show. I also do believe that the information is presented in a very clear and concise way.

There may not be anything new here but I have never claimed that this is a new revolutionary system. This is just my work on hypnosis explained in a comprehensive way for those interested in taking on the craft. Nothing more or less. And I hope that as such , you guys might find it a worth while project .

Furthermore my credits and career information are all over the Internet. It is up to the customer to decide if they think I am a credible source to instruct them on hypnosis. For example if I wanted to learn how to cook and I saw A cook book from Donald trump, I certainly would not go for that as I've seen no accomplishments in that department . If the customer decided that he would like to learn the basics of stage hypnotism by a guy who's done enough shows and educated himself enough to be very comfortable with the subject they can buy my product, if my accolades are insufficient they can buy someone else's . At the end I recommend the Ormond McGill book and other ways to further their education.

I do, again, appreciate your tact and grace in your approach Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wish I had seen clips that didn't involve college or high school kids. With all due respect anyone can do those shows. (And the participating in the skits makes even less sense.)

Strange that people using your name to make bogus claims does not bother you in the least. It would bother me tremendously, regardless of the justification for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Im not sure I agree that anyone can do shows that involve college audiences Danny. I would agree that they are probably one of the most responsive therefore best markets to go after. No one gets extra points or paid extra for picking difficult audiences and maybe even be good advice to focus on such markets. I don't think this project was created to please seasoned pro's and that is not necessary a bad thing as the dvd isn't aimed at pro's. My only concern is "why"? It can't be for the money surely if someone is that busy? Yet another product being banged out very cheaply over the internet. It cannot be a good thing for stage hypnosis in general. And no magic company would ever dictate the price of such a project to the public if I ever did one.

Im just left asking "why?".But then again I realize not many share my point of view about keeping Stage hypnosis "special" a point of view that has long gone now. There are lots of threads on the trivalization of mentalism over in Penny that go into long winded ideas on how we might stop it. Its much simpler than that. We CAN'T stop it because every man and his dog want to sell methods and secrets to make quick buck internet sold products or get attention doing so.

This is just another one of those mindless products.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My only point about not using kids is it takes more to do it. And yes working an audience of a few hundred college kids is playing tennis with the net down.

The why question is really interesting. I happen to agree. I mean there is nothing wrong with it, but it is an interesting question.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I think you probably underestimate your ability and experience Danny. It maybe simple for you and most seasoned pro's but not everybody will have the ability to do a real pro job.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I probably do that. I think I should say that they are the easiest show you will Rib into. That probably is more accurate.

Still the why offer this if it has nothing new in it is an interesting question.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
solarzar
View Profile
Regular user
Solarzar
109 Posts

Profile of solarzar
I've been doing hypnosis for 5 years. I was trained by Geoff Ronning from the Stage Hypnosis Center. Like many I've played with hypnosis for many years before receiving this training. I've studied Ormand McGill, read the work of Milton Erickson, as well as the words and work of many others. While I understand the concerns expressed here, I found Induction by Spidey to be an excellent introduction to the art of Stage Hypnosis.

He is thorough and detailed in his explanations from his Pre-Talk, Induction, pre-Tests, Convincers, Show Construction and Audience Management. I do feel that he has added to the available material on Stage Hypnosis by this DVD set.

Regardless of the marketing, he does not come across as arrogant, but he is confident. He has a thorough grasp of his material, his show and demonstrates excellent charisma in his performance.

I don't believe this set would hurt anyone's study of art of Stage Hypnosis. Is it all you need? Well, I believe you never stop studying hypnosis.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Solarzar
The Magic is within us!
www.Magic4Life.com
www.Solarzar.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Induction DVD by Spidey,review? (33 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL