The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Balloon Performer (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mikey-
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Mikey-
Hello, my name is Mikey, and I'm a balloon performer. I'm not a magician by any means, but I'm booked along side magicians very often. I'm a variety act: Balloons, dancing, miming are my primary ticket. I got started dancing in '96, balloons in '02 and miming in '07. Like a lot of us, I'm sure, performing for me is a part-time gig. I'm rarely a head-liner, I usually fill-in a last minute space left open by a no-show act (you know what I'm talking about!) since I can show up on call and have a fairly self contained routine. A few times I've assumed the name of the no-show-act since no one knew what was going on Smile

Anyway, I'm here hoping I can help others get started with balloons and performing. I'm noticing local groups are falling away, and online is becoming a big part of education as well as community involvement. In brief, I'm here to teach.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Welcome Mikey!

I like your thinking!

I started with balloons in the late '50s. I used them in the magic act, and also developed a Safety Program for schools, using balloon animals for visuals.

I finally quit "ballooning" when so many Shrine clowns got into the "business".

May I suggest one minor "change" in your final sentence? I have always stressed with those I've mentored: "I can't TEACH you anything! --Because LEARNING is an ACTIVE PROCESS! I CAN HELP YOU LEARN!" (SOPHOCLES said it well, a few millenia ago: "One learns by DOING the thing.

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebank! --and, soon to be certified as a quacksalver!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Mikey-,

I like your attitude.

I would feel better if you were at least interested in becoming a Magician.

It never hurts to know a little Magic and some is done with balloons.

-Mary Mowder
Mikey-
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Mikey-
Dick: Yeah, I can relate to diversifying a performance, as I've seen folks butcher balloon performing making it necessary for me to highlight other strengths. You're right that I can't force anyone to learn, or teach in all reality, due to the limitations of using a forum. I'll do what I can to provide ideas, perspectives, experiences and any other advice to help others with their use of the art.

Mary: Like a lot of performers, I dabbled in magic at a younger age and learned a routine for friends at school. It didn't really fit my personality very well, and once I found balloons I was sold. I know a couple rope tricks I do with balloons, but by and large I use them as a gag.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Balloon Performer (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL