The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Flex 5 (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hypnosis is a numbers game. A statement containing more truth has yet to be written.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
I believe hypnosis is a real and natural thing. No one hypnotizes anyone, they do it themselves. A "hypnotist" just leads them down the path. That being said, when a stage hypnotist asks people up on stage to be a part of the show they have willing people (mostly) who want to cluck like a dog and bark like a chicken. The more of a "trance" they go into, the more willing they are to do what they are being asked to do. That is why it is many times easier for them than a magician to get volunteers. People know what is going to happen, with a magician, not so much.

The thing I like about the Flex5 is that even if they don't believe they were under, and maybe they were not, the trick part of the routine can be a good convencer that hypnosis is real when their friends tell them what they saw.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why would you want to convince people of such a thing? The "trick" aspect of it will diminish other work.

Boron line is it is a trick and pretending it is hypnosis does not make it hypnosis.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Actually I do have people go into hypnosis using this system.
The system is a basic version of most hypnosis systems.
Tell me how, what they teach in this system, is not hypnosis?
So why does the trick diminish hypnosis?
They are not really milking a cow or driving a car etc. it's an illusion.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How much experience do you have in hypnosis? And define for me what exactly is meant by "go into hypnosis".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Actually not much performance experience. But that is my real name.
I have studied it for years, seen hundreds of shows by a multitude of hypnotist.
Spoken to and asked them questions about things I've read or seen in their shows.
I have just never wanted to do it.

OK maybe I should say into a trance. But you know it isn't a trance like one sees on
TV with Dracula.
Getting people to a point where they will do what the hypnotist suggest that they do.
Relax, focus, agree to do what I say, do it.
Of course a person will not do anything they already don't want to do or that they can't do.
This is all based on stage hypnosis by the way. But even hypnotherapist can only suggest that a person
do something that they want to do. People who go to them may just need a push or secret pill that
"makes" them stop smoking or eating so much. It can work and does, for those who want to.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2016, Kent Messmer wrote:
Actually I do have people go into hypnosis using this system.
The system is a basic version of most hypnosis systems.
Tell me how, what they teach in this system, is not hypnosis?
So why does the trick diminish hypnosis?
They are not really milking a cow or driving a car etc. it's an illusion.

Spoken like a true magician.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2016, Kent Messmer wrote:
Actually not much performance experience. But that is my real name.
I have studied it for years, seen hundreds of shows by a multitude of hypnotist.
Spoken to and asked them questions about things I've read or seen in their shows.
I have just never wanted to do it.

OK maybe I should say into a trance. But you know it isn't a trance like one sees on
TV with Dracula.
Getting people to a point where they will do what the hypnotist suggest that they do.
Relax, focus, agree to do what I say, do it.
Of course a person will not do anything they already don't want to do or that they can't do.
This is all based on stage hypnosis by the way. But even hypnotherapist can only suggest that a person
do something that they want to do. People who go to them may just need a push or secret pill that
"makes" them stop smoking or eating so much. It can work and does, for those who want to.

Yes thanks for the clarification.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Based on the idea that anything that assumes trance causes trance, I don't think it is that far off in its thinking. No need to shut Messmer down here guys, he is asking valid questions. Also, saying "spoken like a true magician" as a put down on a site called "the magic Café" is just comical.
"Tell me how, what they teach in this system, is not hypnosis?" What they teach in the system is standard stuff involved in creating an induction, and not bad. However, there is so so so much more to learn. On one side I enjoyed it because I enjoy getting someone else's take on stage hypnosis and seeing how others think on the subject. I didn't expect much, and actually I was surprised there was as much solid work on performing stage hypnosis as they had in the DVDs. I played with the cards because it's a fun card trick and a way I have not seen the principle of the card trick work.
"So why does the trick diminish hypnosis?" It could, but it doesn't have to. If you have a large enough audience there is absolutely no reason to use the card effect in a hypnosis display. I have be searching for ways to work with smaller groups to create a presentation of hypnosis. As they were only brining up three people I was interested to see what this was, and I was very happy it wasn't an electronic device. If they have the experience of seeing one card and then you show the audience that they are all jokers that does create an odd experience for them, and if you follow that into a trance state with some, the others are going to wonder if it was real or fake, and for the audience it's just forgettable. They want to watch the people who are hypnotised, they don't care that the card trick worked. In contrast if you have someone who can only see or say the card you suggested to them, then you have something amazing. and as you show everyone real cards there is no question of the truth of the matter. So, like I said before, as part of a mentalism program it is a strong card effect. As part of a hypnosis program it's just not necessary.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Thanks Stuart.
Only being a magician I believe the card effect actually solidifies that the people are actually succumbing to the power of suggestion to the audience,along with the people in trance. I have also incorporated 100th monkey into the routine.

Just performed for an adult group last night and had a great reaction.

Like it or not, it's working for me.

Some day I may do a full hypnosis show. This system, as intended, is giving me the confidence and the chance to practice my induction to move toward doing so.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hundreds of hypnosis shows goop through your town? That is fortunate.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Fortunate? How?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I doubt there have been hundreds of hypnosis shows that cane through Chicago.

Getting to see hundreds of them would be fortunate.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Oh, I see, you are questioning my honesty.
I have performed at county fairs for years.
3 shows a day for a week or so, many times,
plus post prom and graduation parties
and any other time I have been to a show with a
hypnotist = 100's of shows.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dude get over yourself. Stop being defensive. (I see where your kid gets it.)

I said you were fortunate. I MEANT you were fortunate. Get a grip. Nowhere in that phrase is anyone questioning your honesty. It is an acknowledgement that many on here wanting to learn live hundred mile trips to see ONE show and you have send hundreds. This makes you fortunate.

So back off.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
I'll accept that. Just hard to "hear" inflection and understand intent with the typed word.

Please accept my humble apology.

I am fortunate in many ways.
Tristan14
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Tristan14
Come to Australia. Im lucky if one hypnosis show pops up once a year in my city. When they do its normally a quit smoking seminar one day, weight loss the next and a stage show friday night. Bang up cash and on to the next town.
~Cicero
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of ~Cicero
I feel this is a fine product and does exactly what it says it does in the description. Not everyone wants to be a stage hypnotist or has access to/resources for/interest in personal training.

Let's say you are a mentalist and one of your alleged "powers" is the ability to influence others. This effect would be exactly in your wheelhouse. Does it make you a "hypnotist"? Not in my opinion. Does it provide an entertaining segment that incorporates elements of what the public perceives as "hypnosis" and add some cool variety to your mentalism show? Yes, in my opinion and it is an ingenious way to add these elements to your show.

I like it as, for me, it is far more workable and entertaining than other "hypnotism" products I have purchased. I'm not sure why a professionally trained stage hypnotist would even purchase this product based on the description, much like a mentalist would not likely buy the latest coin gimmick for any other reason than pure curiosity.
Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Flex 5 (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL