The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Types of IT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Kevlar, Elastic, etc. There seem to be so many to choose from. Any thoughts of the advantages, disadvantages of each?

Also, has anyone worked with the new Kevlar Pen Reel 2002? Opinions?

Thanks. E-mail welcome if you think you'd be revealing something publicly by discussing this.
Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I use the regular brand of I.T. that you can buy in any store. I admit that it's not as flashy as some other types, but it works well. It is very difficult to handle and organize. I would like to know where mine comes from though, and more about other types of thread. I do know this though, it really isn't invisible. With light, or a white backround its totally visible. I've heard that kevlaar and elastic are much more easily seen than the regular type. Smile
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
Regular I.T. that you purchase from your local magic dealer is usually from Woolly Nylon (available at Joanne Fabrics outlets, and other fabric shops) I am unsure about the other types...
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
For you americans, where do you go to obtain elastic I.T. *aka lycra spandex thread*?

I've heard it's available from some craft/hobby and maybe some yarn/sewing stores, but it would be nice to know exactly what stores some people have found it at....
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Magicmanr, just so you know, you just gave away a secret which many people sell on websites for 12.95. Smile
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-07-01 12:26, mithrandir wrote:
Magicmanr, just so you know, you just gave away a secret which many people sell on websites for 12.95. Smile

I guess "giving away secrets" covers a lot of ground and is subject to a lot of differing interpretations. As a magician, I'd not reveal a secret with respect to method to the uninitiated. However, if the method is known (here, IT), I'm not sure that telling someone the best material to use for it is really giving away a secret.

For example, if someone tells me they want to use a magnet to do a particular effect, am I giving away a secret if I tell them where to buy earth magnets for a fraction of the cost the same item is sold for in a magic store?

It's a touchy subject for some people, so I wonder if this will open a discussion that should be in a different forum. (By the way, I already have LeClaire's book in which he discusses sources of I.T. that do not require you to buy it from a magic dealer...)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Gee, it's been known for many years that there are various sources for IT and elastic IT. A simple google search will turn them all up.

Asking for sources to get good quality/price isn't a big deal.

Most layman could care less and don't really understand how IT and Elastic IT are really used anyways...

If someone wants to pay $12.95 simply to find out that they can harvest IT from pantyhose or buy elastic IT as "Lycra Spandex thread" then they are welcome to do so.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Wert,

I tend to agree with you in general, and certainly agree with respect to IT.

I've seen a few times, though, with respect to commercially available products, when revealing the source of the material to make them seemed inappropriate. These, however, were products that represented human creativity... a substance was changed, an effect created. Thread is simply thread. Sometimes, though, I guess it's hard to know where to draw the line.
Cozener

Monkey
View Profile
New user
Canada
12 Posts

Profile of Monkey
Go to any sewing supply store and get wooly nylon or Serger thread (they'll know what I'm talkin' about). You can get the nylon, Elastic, and kevlar in serger thread. A spool of like 500 yards is dirt cheap. So pick one up and you'll have a life time supply. My aunt owns a clothing company so I learned about this from her and got a spool for free Smile
TiendaMagia
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
134 Posts

Profile of TiendaMagia
Completely agree , to say that elastic I.T. comes from Spandex Lycra and to say that a spool of it is very cheap, is not wrong or unethical.

And even if you knew how to get them, you will probably still buy the I.T. from a magic shop, not for the secret but for the effort of doing it and for your time!

Also a simple google search will give you this information.
Cordially

Mariano Sosa

Magic Store in Europe

http://www.tiendamagia.com

Foro de magia en Castellano!

www.magiapotagia.com
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2128 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I particularly like using John Kennedy's Z threads because it has a quick reload. I have tried sitting down with a bright light, a pin, and a set of my wife's ********* but it's too frustrating for me. Check out Ammar's video series on various IT sources. Very helpful! Smile
idav5d
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of idav5d
Which type is best for a thread reel, I'm having a heck of a time with wolly in mine, I can't seem to get the tension right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Types of IT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL