The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nailed It! by Scott Alexander (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
randomdan
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of randomdan
Has anyone seen / read anything about "Nailed It!" yet? It's due to come out in a few days (I think), and claims to be an 100% safe Russian roulette with a spike type effect - basically the same as Alexander's Shattered effect but with a spike rather than a broken bottle.

Shattered always appealed to me, but the non-examinability at the end of the routine always put me off somewhat. If you can hammer the nail into a block of wood and give it away to your spectator as a souvenir as claimed in the ad copy - that would make this pretty much perfect for my taste. Especially if it is 100% safe as claimed - I heard that a (very experienced) magician managed to stick a genuine nail through his hand at the Magic Castle a few weeks ago, when performing a different version of the effect... That's always put me off other types of the Smash and Stab routines. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, it only takes a momentary lapse in concentration and you're putting yourself at risk. If this effect is as clever as Shattered, then you'll never actually be at risk at any point.

If I'm not mistaken, I also think a certain high-profile UK mentalist has been performing this version of the effect recently (I've yet to see a video of Scott's routine, but the props look the same as I saw on stage in London recently). If that was indeed Alexander's routine, then it's very deceptive indeed.

Cheers,
RD
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, randomdan wrote:
Has anyone seen / read anything about "Nailed It!" yet? It's due to come out in a few days (I think), and claims to be an 100% safe Russian roulette with a spike type effect - basically the same as Alexander's Shattered effect but with a spike rather than a broken bottle.

Shattered always appealed to me, but the non-examinability at the end of the routine always put me off somewhat. If you can hammer the nail into a block of wood and give it away to your spectator as a souvenir as claimed in the ad copy - that would make this pretty much perfect for my taste. Especially if it is 100% safe as claimed - I heard that a (very experienced) magician managed to stick a genuine nail through his hand at the Magic Castle a few weeks ago, when performing a different version of the effect... That's always put me off other types of the Smash and Stab routines. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, it only takes a momentary lapse in concentration and you're putting yourself at risk. If this effect is as clever as Shattered, then you'll never actually be at risk at any point.

If I'm not mistaken, I also think a certain high-profile UK mentalist has been performing this version of the effect recently (I've yet to see a video of Scott's routine, but the props look the same as I saw on stage in London recently). If that was indeed Alexander's routine, then it's very deceptive indeed.

Cheers,
RD

I saw the same show as you and I don't think he used Scott's method. However, there is a full performance on Scott's Penguin Live n 3 and prepare to be fooled! I bought it instantly after seeing that Smile
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:

Cheers,
RD

You are mistaken as it was not this version.

I'm very proud of the version he is using.....

:)
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Quote:
On Jan 2, 2016, Jon Allen wrote:
Quote:

Cheers,
RD

You are mistaken as it was not this version.

I'm very proud of the version he is using.....

:)

I thought that was the case Smile
Jeremybax
View Profile
New user
Lausanne, Switzerland
51 Posts

Profile of Jeremybax
I wait to see more reviews or to see this trick live before buying it.... too expensive to go blind on this one.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Isn't there an already "100% safe" roulette out there with a spike by Randi Rain? I wonder how these differ?
Official Thread Killer
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Seen the explanation. Super super safe, no worries of stabbing yourself whatsoever whatsoever. Resets in 2 minutes (unless you prepared the trick before, then it should only take 25 seconds). Very deceptive, cheap refills (and you will need quite a few refills though).

It's brilliant, best method I've seen.
Cole Gross
View Profile
Elite user
Fresno, CA
437 Posts

Profile of Cole Gross
We just added a live performance video of Scott performing Nailed It to the Hocus Pocus Website. Preorder your Nailed It here for Free Worldwide Shipping.

http://hocus-pocus.com/prod/32450/Nailed......lexander

Cole
Hocus Pocus Magic
Toll Free: 800-407-4040
www.hocus-pocus.com
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
593 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
I'm balancing between Scott's routine and Jon Allen's "Pain game".
How on earth can I make a choice without in depth information?
I wonder...
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
What the heck? this seems the best version I've ever seen... looks so direct and clean!!!

Congratulations Scott Alexander Smile

Is this on his recent Penguin Live Lecture so we can check before spending the total?
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Let me echo a sentiment from Penn Jillette. If you are doing a danger routine and you are in real danger, you are an idiot. Not sure of the exact phrasing but that's the gist.

Regardless of the method... if there is a real sharp thingy in your bags or cups or whatever...there is a chance....albiet a slim one...but a chance nonetheless....that you will eventually....some day...some how....stab your hand. We have seen this over and over again.

This version satisfies that criteria for me, and I hope others will like it too.

Be safe everyone!

-Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Alex R. Weinberg
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Alex R. Weinberg
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2016, Scott Alexander wrote:
Let me echo a sentiment from Penn Jillette. If you are doing a danger routine and you are in real danger, you are an idiot. Not sure of the exact phrasing but that's the gist.

Regardless of the method... if there is a real sharp thingy in your bags or cups or whatever...there is a chance....albiet a slim one...but a chance nonetheless....that you will eventually....some day...some how....stab your hand. We have seen this over and over again.

This version satisfies that criteria for me, and I hope others will like it too.

Be safe everyone!
-Scott

I could not agree more, I am tried of my magician and mentalist friends accidentally stabbing their hand and getting hurt.

-Alex
Themagicfox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Themagicfox
I do Spike the Sharpie Edition, and I know a lot of people don't consider it 100% safe, but I have never stabbed myself. I have also built in a safety in case it were to ever happen. I use 5 foam cups with a piece of aluminum stuck to the inside bottom of each cup. I spray painted them white, and I have never had anyone be able to tell that they are there. After smashing the cups, I simply remove the smashed cup with my "shield" immediately in a smash and scoop motion. Aluminum is light and does not affect the ability to perform the effect, the aluminum is reusable. and cheap. The only thing I caution you about the aluminum, is make sure it is thick enough for the speed you bring your hand down at through experiment (so don't use an aluminum can cut out...). If you go to a metal shop, they can measure your cup and get you several exact laser cut pieces fairly cheap.

Hope this helps! Alex tell your friends to try this out, magic should give the appearance of danger, but we should never actually be in harms way!

-David Fox
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I just love that routine, I'm getting one of these for myself, the rabbit idea is great.

We also have it listed here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/saturn-magi......ick.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, Themagicfox wrote:
I do Spike the Sharpie Edition, and I know a lot of people don't consider it 100% safe, but I have never stabbed myself. I have also built in a safety in case it were to ever happen. I use 5 foam cups with a piece of aluminum stuck to the inside bottom of each cup. I spray painted them white, and I have never had anyone be able to tell that they are there. After smashing the cups, I simply remove the smashed cup with my "shield" immediately in a smash and scoop motion. Aluminum is light and does not affect the ability to perform the effect, the aluminum is reusable. and cheap. The only thing I caution you about the aluminum, is make sure it is thick enough for the speed you bring your hand down at through experiment (so don't use an aluminum can cut out...). If you go to a metal shop, they can measure your cup and get you several exact laser cut pieces fairly cheap.

Hope this helps! Alex tell your friends to try this out, magic should give the appearance of danger, but we should never actually be in harms way!

-David Fox

I still think you risk hurting yourself here. A small round disk being slammed down onto a sharp point could easily cause the disk to slide down on either side and stabbing you. I hope you do not find out the hard way. I still can not understand why anyone would take this kind of chance. There are versions of this that are completely safe with no risk to you and that still play exactly the same as far as the audience is concerned.

But hey ... your hand.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
Does this come with everything needed to perform it? Any refills needed? Can paper bags be easily found in UK or are these sold as refills too?
There is no holy grail!
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Can you show all the bags empty to begin with and then place the block with the nail in one of them??
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, Daren wrote:
Can you show all the bags empty to begin with and then place the block with the nail in one of them??

Don't think so Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
You can put all the blocks in the bags if you like. I just show one because I think doing all five is tedious.

Refills cost just over a buck a show between bags and the "secret sauce." Small price to pay for safety.
I sell them on my site but, the training DVD tells you where to get them online yourself.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Choi Sin To
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
65 Posts

Profile of Choi Sin To
I know it's 100% safe , but what is the difference between this one and the "pain game" by Jon Allen. Both look alike a lot and with the same statement for safety. I m struggling for getting which one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nailed It! by Scott Alexander (35 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL