The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Of General Interest, (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I wonder if this has been covered before. What do we all ware for these escapology performances. Glitter jackets,Tux,Track suits,3 piece or what ?
escapologist2001
View Profile
Regular user
Connah's Quay, Wales, UK
127 Posts

Profile of escapologist2001
Depends on the nature of the escape. Sometimes formal (shirt, smart trousers etc) if that's the most appropriate for the venue. Probably jeans & t-shirt for more informal events (eg outdoor performance) and if water is involved, just shorts!
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
I usually wear my black tux since I consider myself sort of "old school". Depending on the routine I'm doing, I sometimes wear a black T-shirt under my jacket instead of the traditional shirt and bow tie for a little more casual and more modern look.
Tony Parisi
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yes dress for the stunt is OK but I remember well the late Harold Taylor (He of cream outfit fame) Also Moretti and others who, where ever they are (Before the show and after) Gave the illusion through their own style of dress that they were that little bit special, their style was reflected on stage as well completing the illusion. So if magicians have their Top Hats and white scarves how would you conceive an escapologist to look. JC Diamond did many outside stunt shows in the UK, he wore a pure white boiler suit
with his initials embroidered on it in blue, for a change of escape he would come on with a different boiler suit equally as smart.He came across as smart but in keeping with what he was doing.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I'm normally in gray jeans & a black t-shirt (short or long-sleeved depending on the weather) ...

James.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Everything I wear on stage is red and black. Usually Tartan trousers and a black T-Shirt. Plus big black boots, bright red hair, and black nail varnish on the left hand to finish it all off. Punk rock style Smile

A costume like this suits my style of working, plus the colour scheme means I can wear an entirly different costume and it can still be recognised as 'my look'.

For some shows, for instance where I am doing acro stuff like diving through fire I just wear red and black leggings.

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Ah, good so you have your own style, great. Do you dress the same on the way to the venue ?
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
It depends. I try too, but it isn't always practical. All that black and red costs money Smile

I usually turn up at venues in my regular clothes. Which are really in a similar style to the stage stuff, but not quite as eye catching.

The hair is always bright red of course!
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I used to have a girlfriend who dressed in black all the time, she had red hair as well, it was like going out with a ginger beer shandy !
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I dress one of two ways when I perform. If I'm performing in a club atmosphere, I perform in either gold or red leather shorts with a black top. If I'm in a more formal setting, I perform in a long black velvet dress. The dress is what I'm wearing in my avatar (I was performing at a convention when this picture was taken).

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Another red and black fan Smile

Red and black is the new tuxedo...

My Website
Add me on facebook
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Hello all..
It's just my 2cents, but for what it's worth...If it's a water escape of any sort wear a wetsuit. A few resons for this; most important is water temp. Even if it's July, and 80 out, tap water can be as cold as 60 or below. At that temp a person can become moderately hyothermic very quickly. This produces shivering, clumsiness and a loss of manual dexterity. All very bad for the escape artist sealed underwater in a locked box. Even a short sleeve, short leg spring suitnwill help hold your core body temp. much longer.
T-shirts and shorts may not be the best bet in the water. They float up, bunch up and just get in the way. Besides, a lot of that stuff acts funny when it gets wet. You don't want the crowd to see more than they came for..do you? I think you understand what I mean.
One more good thing about wetsuits is that they look cool. And most people look good in them. A wetsuit tells the crowd you take what you do seriously, you're not messing around. It helps "sell" the escape.
Okay, that my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Ms.M
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I have a gold metallic suit. Seriously. I look like a disco ball.
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
May I suggest that you wear something durable incase you don't mind damaging your outfit. When I did my welded in a trunk escape I wore a pair of black jeans that I sewed a stripe down each outside seam. The heavier material helped protect my knees whille kneeling.
I don't use a T-shirt but an inexpensive long sleeve dress shirt with plenty of room to move around in, and that tucks in. I also roll uo each sleeve to just below the elbow. I make sure that the shirt tails get untucked and allow the sleeves to unroll down which helps add to the illusion of difficulty.

I used this style of dress for all my escapes. sometimes I wore a bow tie.
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
954 Posts

Profile of Riley
Amazing variety here, and if it works, stick with it!
Because I work mainly with old cuffs and props, I wear all black, including Victorian frock coat and, believe it or not, stiff Eton type collar and bow tie etc (and Tony Parisi thought HE was "old School" !!)
Come to think of it, maybe this is why I only get paid half a crown per show.

Riley
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Black slacks, white longsleeve shirt, black or conservative colored tie.

Be prepared to hear this a lot:

Waiter, waiter are you listening to me? oh your not our waiter never mind.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Dear Riley,
Be sure to keep an eye out for those pesky challengers climbing up over the gas lit footlights clutching a pair of Bean Giants! Regards, Steve Santini
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
954 Posts

Profile of Riley
Yeah
It's the guy from the Daily Mirror that worries me!

Regards

Riley

I just looked again at your post. Do you mean Maidenhead is going to get gas footlights ??????
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Don't worry Riley,

If the guy from the Mirror shows up just ask him to produce the inventor and constructor of the handcuffs before you will accept his challenge.

I am placing my bets that he will be utterly unable or unwilling to do so because the "master blacksmith" simply does not exist! Regards, Steve Santini

BTW Riley,
My mistake. I thought you were playing the Alhambra. Regards, Steve Santini
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
954 Posts

Profile of Riley
Smile

Riley
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Of General Interest, (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL