The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chinese copy loops question (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dustboy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dustboy
Just seen some chinese copy loops on amazon. £2.64 (3-4 bucks?) for 5. Supposedly as good as. Has anyone tried them and are they any good?

Cheers.

DB
king_amongthepigs
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of king_amongthepigs
I've seen it marketed and it seems the quality is really low. I think you can get it even cheaper by just tying them yourself, with no need to sacrifice quality.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2016, king_amongthepigs wrote:
I've seen it marketed and it seems the quality is really low. I think you can get it even cheaper by just tying them yourself, with no need to sacrifice quality.

Add this to the fact that you will not be supporting piracy, and "we have a winner"! Any time you purchase a knock-off, you are pretty much stealing from the creator. Every knock-off bought is one less purchased directly from the creator or one less legit shop order from the creator. Eventually, less and less people will share their creations with the community just to have it "ripped off".
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2016, dustboy wrote:
Just seen some chinese copy loops on amazon. £2.64 (3-4 bucks?) for 5. Supposedly as good as. Has anyone tried them and are they any good?

Cheers.

DB

Where do you think the current rubber bands and loops are being made. Everything sold in the U.S. is made by China.

That is why, or stock market took a dump the other day, because China is in financial trouble right now. If they go, so does America.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I tried loops from China about a year ago.
Pure garbage. Stay away.
I think the dealer was Kings Magic.
Ihor
MagicalAlex
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MagicalAlex
BUY IT FROM THE REAL SOURCE ITS CHEAP ANYWAY!
konstant
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of konstant
I tried loops from china and were terrible (aliexpress). Nowadays I prefer to do it my own. Cheaper , it is not dificult and you can do it with the size you need.
David_MacFarlane
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of David_MacFarlane
I've had mixed experiences. Some of what I bought from China on eBay was close to useless or useless. Loops were too small, near breaking just to get them onto my manly wrists, and the knots were sloppily tied, adding an extra point of exposure. On the other hand, some I bought were serviceable... and at a price that makes wearing them all the time affordable for me. I plan to, but haven't yet, string up one of the brand name vs one of the off brand and look at them in different light, etc.

As to the ethics, I'm not sure what logic there is in saying that tying your own is OK, but hiring some Chinese kid to tie them for you is ripping off the creator.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, David_MacFarlane wrote:
As to the ethics, I'm not sure what logic there is in saying that tying your own is OK, but hiring some Chinese kid to tie them for you is ripping off the creator.

Because when I tie my own, I am using bulk elastic purchased from a reputable magic dealer. The elastics I use are from Steve Fearson, Subdivided Studios (and I have tried Mesika's). All of who have and still create for the magic community.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
David_MacFarlane
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of David_MacFarlane
So, if I use thread that I find in a sewing store, then it's a rip off, too?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You bet ah! But I don't believe the elastic necklace thread is thin enough. I have never seen sewing machine elastic thread without thread wrapped around it. If you find a way to get the thread off, then sell your idea and retire.

Some people will spend hours working on saving a dollar or two, instead of spending a few more dollars and get out and entertain and make 10 times the amount they would have saved by doing it the hard way.

There was a magician who showed a great trick, he would end the trick, by asking, was it worth a dollar to see that miracle. The spectator said yes. He would then put the borrowed dollar bill he made float in the air, into his pocket, and move to the next table. No one ever asked for their dollar back.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
My personal theory on the question of “Is “X” an ethical practice”? - If you have to ask, you probably already know the answer.

Smile Smile
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
While I do agree on purchasing that cheap loops from China is immoral. (For several reasons more than the 'knock of problem'. I have to strongly disagree with the idea that obtaining thread from DIY sources would be immoral. Then Cardsplitting for making double backers would fall into the same category since they are also available from magic dealers.
Now of course we can argue, if it's worth going through the trouble of making your own but I'd rather leave that to everyone's self.
Then, for a fact, several of those DIY methods are taught and marketed. So what's to think about them?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Chinese copy loops question (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL