The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz books (97 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Mullins
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bill Mullins
Jason -- once he does that, can you post here the best trick of the three of the five of the book?
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1657 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Bill,

I'm not going to enable your laziness. You'll just have to read the entire "3 Best Tricks" Post-It Note. I've done all I can already.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Bill Mullins
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bill Mullins
Like I've got that kind of time.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2017, Bill Mullins wrote:
Jason -- once he does that, can you post here the best trick of the three of the five of the book?

And be sure to include a video so
we know exactly what it should look like.
Ben Daggers
View Profile
Regular user
Osaka
134 Posts

Profile of Ben Daggers
I'll wait for the poorly-shot YouTube video of the official DVD of the list of the best of the top 5 tricks...
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
471 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2017, JasonEngland wrote:
Darwin,

Will you please include an addendum that lists the 5 best tricks in Cardshark this time? I know that not including it last time must've been some sort of oversight on your part. And while you're at it, if you could include a Post-it Note that enumerates the 3 best tricks from the "5 Best Tricks" sheet, that would be helpful too.

Jason

Jason,

I really think that Cardshark is a little too advanced for you. I can, however, recommend another card book that I think you would get a lot more out of:

http://www.mylovelyassistant.com/products/view/16180

For everyone else, the new printing of Cardshark is $55 plus shipping.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
dfinn
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of dfinn
Now that's funny. Not often I log in to make a post or offer a comment. I remember Frank from the 1970s........
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
My Dad purchased Cardshark for me when I was 13. I remember reading about the Pinky Count in it and coming up with my own technique. Years later my Dad bought Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table for me. That book included a detailed description of the Pinky Count. It was awesome to learn the real work after years of struggle and experimentation.

Thank you Darwin for writing these books: they have been lifelong good friends and have taught me a great deal. They were with me throughout high school, where I practiced top palms, faro shuffles, and false overhand shuffles during math and English classes. In addition to teaching sleights, your books also taught an impeccable attention to detail and an ethical focus on properly crediting a trick or sleight's originator.

Even more years later, I received The Annotated Erdnase. The level of academic rigor and sophistication that you applied in crafting that book absorbed me deeply. As a youth, you were clearly a hero of mine. I still remember the effort you inspired in me, to practice the mundane techniques, such as the pinky break, in addition to practicing more prestigious techniques such as the bottom deal or the pass.

To this day, the techniques that I learned from your books, and also the important lessons in character, have stuck with me as an adult. For instance, the risk that you took in choosing sleight-of-hand with cards over a career in law, modeled an authentic independence of thinking and being that may well have impacted important choices I have made as an adult.

Of course you're not perfect though the above hints at hagiography. Nor am I perfect nor have I come close to perfecting all that you taught. From one humble card handler to another, thank you for the gift these books have been to my experience of learning sleight-of-hand, attending carefully to detail, and living an authentic life of integrity as best we can.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
471 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Shaun, thanks for taking the time to write that. It means a lot to me, believe me.

For those of you who have pre-ordered Cardshark or are thinking of doing so, I just want to let you know that the book is still set to ship early-to-mid-May.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1657 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2017, shaunluttin wrote:
Of course you're not perfect....

I can confirm this. Let's begin with the fact that he's left-handed!

And don't get me started on his dislike of Tarantino movies.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
471 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2017, JasonEngland wrote:
...And don't get me started on his dislike of Tarantino movies.

Reservoir Dogs is a rip-off of Ringo Lam's City on Fire. That's just a fact.
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2017, JasonEngland wrote:
...And don't get me started on his dislike of Tarantino movies.

Reservoir Dogs is a rip-off of Ringo Lam's City on Fire. That's just a fact.

I prefer movies with less violence than Tarantino films have.

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
471 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Several people have asked me whether I have any plans to reprint Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table. I may consider the possibility after this new printing of Cardshark sells out, but not before.

Meanwhile, anyone who wants to pre-order Cardshark can email me at the address below.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1657 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
As much as I enjoy teasing Darwin about being left-handed, etc, let's get serious for a second here.

If you're interested in great card magic and/or gambling routines you need Cardshark. If you missed out when it was available before, now's your chance. Buy it. You'll thank me later.

Jason

PS: And the quote on p. 49 is perhaps the funniest thing I've read in a long time.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5837 Posts

Profile of motown
Who was it who said:

Anyone who hates small dogs and Tarantino movies can't be all bad.

:-)
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2017, motown wrote:
Anyone who hates small dogs and Tarantino movies can't be all bad.

I think that was Leo Rosten talking about W.C. Fields at a dinner in his honor.

Now I'm having fun thinking about the character analogy:

* Leo Rosten : Jason England
* W.C. Fields: Darwin Ortiz
* Byron Darnton: S.W. Erdnase

And me, I am one of the unnamed proles who read about the dinner in Time magazine.

:-)

Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
471 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
I spoke to the printer yesterday and a problem with the dust jacket has set things back about a week. But the ship date should still be close to that originally predicted and hopefully there will be no more glitches.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
47 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
I spoke to the printer yesterday and a problem with the dust jacket has set things back about a week. But the ship date should still be close to that originally predicted and hopefully there will be no more glitches.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

Dust jackets? Since when do your books gather dust? Smile

Lefty's rule!
Brian
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
47 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
[quote]On May 1, 2017, B. Edwards wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, Darwin Ortiz wrote:

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

Dust jackets? Since when do your books gather dust? Smile

Brian
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
47 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
Sorry for the double post. An edited post somehow became a post of it's own. lol

That's what I get for "Lefty" promoting. Smile

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Darwin Ortiz books (97 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL