The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Why do many performers ask the audience to stand back when beginning the cups and ball?
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
So that everybody can see.
At least that's why I do it.
Also since I perform for kids only and mostly to kids I know very well, I am avoiding that any of them tries to grab something
or such like.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
890 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I'm conscious of protecting my angles. The sides can be a problem, but you don't want the audience positioned too low.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1077 Posts

Profile of BCS
Nor too close and high when performing close-up when performing at at table... I use my lap for loads.

Take care,
Bruce
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27073 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2016, Charles Gaff wrote:
Why do many performers ask the audience to stand back when beginning the cups and ball?

Perhaps because it's so easy for folks to reach in and grab the props - especially when they are rolling forward.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I thought it was about the grabby instincts people have towards magic, and rolling objects makes for allot of grabby, flinchy reactions. Also the top down angle makes allot of sense. The farther back, the flatter the angle. This makes many things easier at the end.
Even surrounded, if far enough back, the audience doesn't have the "down" angle.
Thanks for the help.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
890 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Surrounded, there is a side angle which can allow a spec to see a flash of a palmed ball. I'd want to keep everyone in front and respectfully back. A low rim around your mat stops balls from rolling off and creates a special "stage" area that is less likely to be violated. I'd want specs to be looking at an angle somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees.

But it depends on the routine you have in mind. What we think of as an elementary routine can be bomb proof while still extremely effective with an engaging presentation.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I've just taken my "Gazzo" styled (copied routine) to the brain trust! I do the first three sections, no hat yet. Gonna need it for the summer tho! Do have a pouch. Got some interest, then BAM! The final loads killed! The looks were awesome, then the nonchalance, then the acknowledgement! Again, my brain trust. Soon, I'll be off to the laymen!
Also, thanks for the advice on moving people back so everyone can see, very practical, killing many birds with the stone.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Get Gazzo's book on crowd control.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I'm looking into krowd kontrol now! Thanks!
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
992 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I love doing the cups as well. What I've found though with kids, is that sometimes if their eye level is close to the top of the table, there is not a lot of wriggle room when lifting a cup and loading the small manip balls underneath. I've flashed then a few times, and the younger ones are not too shy about letting on if they've seen anything. Mostly I just keep going as I know when I get to the final loads part they'll be totally floored.

Last week I did a show for a bunch of 9 to 13 year olds who were rather sceptical that I would be able to entertain them. (I had just finished up a show for the younger 5 to 8 year olds.) They thought they were going to get a kiddy show. When they walked in, I just started talking to them while they stood there, and after a brief intro I went into my cups routine. I had them stand up to give ME a good angle cover and they were totally floored with the final loads. (I have a Frank Starsini buskers pouch with Sherwood engraved brass set, with blue manip balls, and 4 different coloured sherwood load balls. I don't do a 6 ball fruit final load.)

This discussion on viewing angles for the cups is something that I've been getting quite conscious about for a while now. One thing I've seen is some doing the cups for kids while they sit on the floor, which in my opinion makes it hard for kids to see the top of the table and seems to lessen the effect as they can't seem to follow it very well, and if it's not a simple routine, well I think it's a bit of a waste for kids. My opinion.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On Jan 14, 2016, Malakim wrote:
So that everybody can see.
At least that's why I do it.
Also since I perform for kids only and mostly to kids I know very well, I am avoiding that any of them tries to grab something
or such like.

Correct!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL