The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cords And Coins by Alan Wakeling (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Oslund just mentioned a trick he does by Alan Wakeling from the book, The Magic Of Alan Wakeling.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=4

This brought to mind one of the 1st tricks I was sold by the magic dealer at the local magic shop. The trick was called, Zip-Zip by Royal Magic, a Fun Inc. company. It is a good close-up trick and as a youngster, I did it for many of my classmates and teachers.

Now all these many years later, Alan Wakeling has taken this beginner trick to a professional level. Utilizing interesting props to draw attention and a story line to explain every prop and move needed, involving the spectators even more into the experience.

Note: Beginner magic is not considered an insult, it is a term used by magic dealers who sell magic to those not knowing about magic, being interested in learning magic. These beginner tricks have in them many principles in magic that will be used throughout a magicians work in the art of magic.

The trick comes as most printed instructions use to come, it give you the routine and method and a short explanation on how to do the secret moves.

This is a lesson in working on the handling and routine with such a trick. Alan Wakeling changed the dice to for coins, and the wand to a chop stick, put a story line to the effect and some interesting added handling for the hand positions, and made this little trick into a presentation piece.

The trick is also in Tarbell Volume 4, page 357, under the name Cords of Phantasia. Do to Ottokar Fischer's ability to transform the original Grandmother's Necklace into totally different penetration effect.

Alan's handling eliminates the part that me and other magicians worry about in the initial and subsequent tying and displaying of the cords.

If you have the book, I strongly suggest you look into this handling. Just a coincidence is that I have all the exact props Alan Wakeling mentions. Brown lacquered Chop Stick, 4 half dollar Chinese coins, and two laces. All his moves has motivation behind each phase.

Funny what you can find in a book, and the detail to discover new advanced handlings.

Click here to view attached image.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks for the minder; I had a sticky note on that exact page of my copy of Wakeling's book.

Apparently Wakeling's story line is not so fictional. A Chinese friend said that at the time of those coins, Chinese would string their money/coins on a cord/belt, and I think she said wear it around their waste, and that it was at least in part, intended as a security matter. This initially caught my attention for a story line for the Charming Chinese Challenge effect - someone was trying to steal my coins (and succeeded!).
Of course you have to be sure that you have real Chinese coins for this to work. Mine are marked "made in China", so I guess I'm okay Smile

An issue for me, practicing Wakeling's routine is a bit awkward to do on my own. Certainly the moves aren't hard, but it helps to have someone else hold the props, or do the tying (and variation in how tightly a spectator ties the one knot may make the release harder).

Oslund apparently did this for children; any experience in performing this for adults?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Aren't we all children in a larger body. This kind of magic is for all ages. It is not kids trick, after all, do little children know of a county called China. It is a fairy tale story for kids. For adults is it a little history, true or not, it can be captivating.

John, don't be such a realist, this can be done with metal washers brass or steel. It does not matter.

I of course have Chinese coins, but they are not really necessary, it is called, being an actor using stage props. That what a magician is, an actor.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I can second the realism of the coins. I've used the coins sold by Paul diamond for as long as I can remember. These look less "Chinese" and more washer than many of the coin sets sold these days. People just accept that they are what you say they because they want to believe it so they can enjoy the magic I guess. I would recommend a set of Beggers Coins for anyone wanting nice coins despite the lack of details.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I posted a comment in the buskers' forum, today. The OP was talking about a stick wrapped in tape, and someone mentioned a Chopstick.

I was immediately reminded of the Wakeling routine, and Alan's chopstick, which led to my purchase, in a Chinese food store in New Orleans of A chopstick! Of course chopsticks come in pairs! Old joke: How do you put a Chinese person on a diet? --Give him ONE chopstick!!

The store had some very fancy, lacquered sticks (relatively expensive) and some simple bamboo sticks (cheap) Since they were both functional, and, I was experimenting with the trick, I bought the cheap one. Then, I noticed the five Chinese characters printed on the handle end of each stick.

I was immediately reminded of Jay Marshall's gag with Chinese characters on his Laundry Ticket. Jay would point out the FIVE characters, and would "translate" them for the spectators: "GOOD MAGIC SHOW HERE TODAY".

Yes, Bill, when I have an adult audience who would enjoy a relatively long routine, out comes the chopstick the Chinese coins, and, the two velvet cords. BTW, the chopstick doubles in the ring on stick. One cord is involved in the ring on stick, and the other cord in several knot tricks. The coins can be used in a coin trick. Also, BTW, the coins are produced with the old Jack CHANIN "PERPETUAL COIN PRODUCTION"! (coins produced from a silk) and the chopstick also works in the old Seymour Wand Thru Silk. (I get "use" out of my props!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Dick: I love that joke about putting them on a diet

JUST FOR THE RECORD; I know that the trick can be done simply, or with props that dress up the story. I like props that match the demeanor of the presentation (organic/impromptu, or exotic/mysterious), and match the story line...; BUT, my comment about knowing that my coins were authentic because they were marked "Made in China", was just meant to be a joke. That I have to explain that it was a joke, means it didn't come across that way.. I will just have to work on my delivery.

Regardless, I'm glad I was reminded of this embellishment to Cords of Fantasia.

Dick: is Chanin's Perpetual Coin Production the same as in Wilson's CCIM, Continuous Coins?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi John!

Yes! --I had to go check my copy of CCIM!

I found Walter Gibson's handling most interesting! When I first started doing this, I think it was called, "Chanin's TV Production". I used it to produce a couple of coins for Bobo's "Silver/Copper Extraction" (I think that's the right title--I got the silver/copper bit from J. B.'s lecture in about 1951~!) Later, when the Sudbury Big Penny was available, I adapted my routine, which segued into "Expansion of Texture".

I only produced two coins, as I used the Chanin idea just to introduce the coins for the Silver/Copper routine.

I think Gibson's idea is interesting, but, perhaps Walter was being a trifle "greedy with a principle". If I remember, Jack Chanin only did a few coins, and, IIRC, he finished with a book of matches or something else.

I liked Jay's line, too. He had another "filler" line, if a gag didn't get the usual laugh. He would, apparently, ad-lib: "Hold your cards! --There may be another winner!

I thought your "Made in China" line was FUNNY! It's "kind of a" throwaway line, subtle, but adds a bit of humor. All jokes don't need to be belly laughs!

I do a similar type of line when I do my PomPom Stick routine. I use a "spin off" of an old ROY KISSELL line from his "NOTHING GRINDER" bit. I call the PomPom Stick my "Nothing Machine". --It does "nothing", like my brother-in-law. --Not a belly laugh, it just gets a smile and chuckle, but, it "keeps the routine moving"!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks Dick

FWIW:

Bobo includes Chanin's "Coins from Silk", producing 4 coins

Tarbell 7 has a TV Surprise by Chanin, produces 2 coins, 2 balls, 2 cigarettes, and a book of matches. What's so greedy about that? Smile

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi John~

I only met Walter Gibson once, at Jay Marshall's. We had a delightful visit. He autographed my copy of a "Shadow Annual" that had the "Shadow" involved in a mystery full of magicians. He signed it, Maxwell Grant/Walter Gibson. Maxwell was Holden's first name, and Grant was U.F. Grant's last name. I really enjoyed the opportunity to get acquainted. I had read and much enjoyed his series in the "Conjurers" magazine in the '40s ("Along With Blackstone") Of course, the books he had ghosted for Thurston, and Blackstone, etc. had been not just read, but studied!

Re: The "Chanin inspired 'Misers Dream'" in CCIM, my comment about "greedy with a principle" may have been a bit strong. --It's so easy, when you learn a good principle, to earn the "Chinese" billing: ONN TU LONG.

I've never done the TV Surprise (Tarbell #7) I just use the "principle" as noted in my earlier post, to produce the coins for a copper/silver penetration, and Expansion of Texture routine. I have just always liked Jack Chanin's "ideas".

We were both members of THE SECRET SIX. Other members were Dick Jarrow ("founder")Duke Stern, Karrell Fox, Dr. Mossey, and Jay Marshall. I tell the story of the SECRET SIX, and, how I became member #7, in my book.

Jack and I had spent several hours in 'the green room' at an MAES convention in Norfolk, in 1954. He shared some great stuff with C&R Rope which I have used ever since. I wrote up his concepts with rope in my book, also. I don't think that they were ever in print, before.

At an Abbott GTG, in, I think, the '80s, Jack was on a night show, and had a booth in the dealers'room. He had taken off one afternoon to do a show at a Jewish Children's Summer Camp. He returned late in the afternoon, carrying a large painting of a Shamus with a Chofar. (I'm not sure of the spelling.) I greeted Jack, and remarked: "A Shamus with a Chofar?" Jack looked surprised, and responded: "You're a "Heeb" too?" (his exact words) I said, "No, old friend! --Just a Shagitz Goy!" We both laughed! I still miss him.

Dick
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For those interested I just posted for sale my copy of The Magic Of Alan Wakeling in Hardbound with photo.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=78
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cords And Coins by Alan Wakeling (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL