The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Luohanquian Chinese Coins (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I just received this set of coins from Approach China. (http://www.approachchina.com/luohanqian-chinese-coin-sets-morgan-size-p-1354.html)

These are the nicest Chinese coins I've owned. I got these in Morgan dollar size. As per Curtis Kam, and Chris Kenner on 3 Fly, I want to use the largest coins possible. The set includes 5 coins, 2 gimmicks, a jumbo coin, and an embroidered bag, plus an instructional DVD.

The coins are solid, engraved, and attractive. The gimmicks fit well.

The DVD covers the French drop, a vanish, a transformation, a coins across into the spectator's hands, and a visual coin onto ribbon. If you're looking to do 3 Fly, here you have everything needed for an ungimmicked or gimmicked handling. If you look at some of the gaffed 3 Fly sets out there, this is a bargain at $37.

All in all, I think this is a great package at a very reasonable price that will enable you to do a lot of coin magic with visually appealing coins.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
They look pretty good. I just wonder why the Jumbo coin has a square hole while the dollar size coins have round holes.... I don't get it ?
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
You just cost me $37.00 plus shipping. Haha. Thanks for the review. I've been looking for some more chinese coins. I like them a lot!
Invisticone
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Invisticone
They are also on ebay. Nice coins. I use them for my shadow coins.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
I use these coins for charming Chinese challenge as well as any spellbound/wild coin routines. I use half dollar sized and they handle just like a half dollar in terms of weight. A great set.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Anyone who has the Morgan size... Does the shell fit over a regular Morgan and does a Morgan Exp shell fit over the Chinese coin properly?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
And for the half dollar size, do the Chinese shells fit over U.S. half dollars? Or would an expanded half dollar shell fit over the regular Chinese coins?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Same set seems to by sold on yunmagic.com for $10 less, but don't know about shipping
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2016, funsway wrote:
Same set seems to by sold on yunmagic.com for $10 less, but don't know about shipping

The banner on top says they are a "wholesale magic" dealer (but I am sure they will sell to anyone) but there is a $10.00 fee for orders under $100.00. (but you can save $10.00 on your first order using the code provided)

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Poof Daddy,

The Chinese shell fits over a Morgan dollar loosely. The Chinese coins are slightly larger in diameter than a Morgan dollar.

Scott,

The jumbo coin does have a square hole, but it's a beautiful coin.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Thanks, now I know it won't work for what I was looking to do. Smile

Smile Smile
Invisticone
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Invisticone
Half dollar and dollar size shells fit loosely over eisenhower dollars and kennedy halves. Of course, they have a hole in them, so you can see silver through said hole.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, Invisticone wrote:
Half dollar and dollar size shells fit loosely over eisenhower dollars and kennedy halves. Of course, they have a hole in them, so you can see silver through said hole.

Moleskin solves that.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
fishfishfish87
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of fishfishfish87
Super cheap. Thanks for sharing.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, Invisticone wrote:

What about an exp half shell fitting over the chinese coin? (that is the more important info for me). The hole is easily hidden with tape behind or even your thumb over it if using over a half, but I would use the "Half shell" over the Chinese Coin more for certain effects I do. Right now I am using very cheap Joker Brand Chinese coins. Am hoping to find a better Chinese coin that fits (dollar size too, but I got my answer on that one above).

Smile Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good questions, Poof. I could see a good Chinese set replacing copper/silver for many effects.

IS there a mid-Eastern coin the size of a half dollar? Then we can be fortune tellers as well Smile

The point is that a good Chinese coin can create a different level of interest than an English Penny or Centavo, and the hole defers suspicion.

trouble is that so many Chinese coins available just look like props including those with my CSB sets.

Plse, being able to combine ring on string effects with coin effects.

DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Just a caution...it can be a little hit and miss on the quality of the Luohanquian coins. I got a set on ebay and I am vary happy with them for the same reason as the other post-ers. However, one of the two shells in my set does not nest as neatly as I'd like over the solid coins - as though it was very slightly buckled. The other fits just fine. I have read in other forums about similar issues, so perhaps you role the dice a bit on getting a set that is perfect. That said, I would still recommend them - just be aware. Also, some sets seem to include the jumbo coin while other sets advertised don't. Just be sure it is clear what you are ordering.

By the way, other gaffs matching the set seem to be sold separately. I have seen a bite coin and a slippery shell for the half dollar size.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:

By the way, other gaffs matching the set seem to be sold separately. I have seen a bite coin and a slippery shell for the half dollar size.

I think a flipper coin too, and extra matching solids. Wish they had a Kennedy/Chinese coin available - hole to be filled as desired and not flat metal.

Maybe that is whythtere are two shells -- so that I can make one.

gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Just got Morgan ones. Yes, slightly loose. Gorgeous coins though.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Luohanquian Chinese Coins (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL