The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need misdirection for card tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
I've been doing magic for just under two years. Today, I did some table hopping with cards tricks.

I managed to pull the card tricks off for most people. However, there were a few people who wouldn't look at me, but kept their eyes on the deck.

Thus, I couldn't perform the trick.

How do I misdirect the people who want to keep looking at the cards in my hands?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Don't do those kinds of tricks in restaurant work until you are more capable. In the meantime, there are many card tricks that people can stare at to their hearts' content and see nothing. Those are the ones you should start with.

If you are seriously requesting an answer to your question, you'll need to at least mention which trick you were performing when you ran into the problem.
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2016, abbeylane wrote:
How do I misdirect the people who want to keep looking at the cards in my hands?

A simple way is to instruct the spectator to place the Jokers (on a table) back into the box, or request the spectator to inspect the box to make sure it is "clean."
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
Jimgerfish: I was doing the " Slop" card trick. What other card tricks would you suggest?

SamChak: The jokers were already cleared from the deck. I like the idea of inspecting the box for misdirection as I did the move.

Thanks for your help.
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2016, abbeylane wrote:
I was doing the " Slop" card trick. What other card tricks would you suggest?

Hi Abbey,

Which phase of the Slop Card Trick does your performance warrant a misdirection?

(1) The Selection phase
(2) The Sloppy phase
(3) The Restoration phase
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
Where I place the card back in the deck.
abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
Upon review one of the people kept looking at the deck the entire time.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
A deck of cards is a tool. If YOU focus on THE DECK then your audience will. The premise of your card work is very important.

For example: One of my premises is to have a spectator think of a card that isn't very popular. A card they think no one would ever pick.
I would have them remove the card, sign it and then place it back in the deck.
They have no clue what you are going to do, their focus is on their thought of card and why you asked them to pick it.

There is no heat, or at least there shouldn't be and then you can produce it from an impossible location.

Sure there are those that will stare at the deck no matter what you say or do. When I experience this I will sometimes say, " Boy you have your eyes glued to the deck, why don't you hold onto it. It's at that exact moment I use the opportunity to either T*P P&^%M or Steal the card away in the midst of a CTW routine.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:

In the Slop Card Trick, there are only two essential moves. The first one is executed secretly when you show the selection is lost in the deck, and the second one is executed on a subconscious level when you display the face up/down cards to the spectator.

In order to have a magical impact, in my presentation, it is necessary for the spectator to have the retention visual of her selection returned to the deck and lost tracking in the deck. Since the first move is to control the selection to a certain location when the signed card is replaced on the deck, there are many ways to accomplish that and never worry if anyone saw your move. This is why sleights are invented in the first place. One surefire way is to do the Marlo Tilt and then followed by a series of Overhand Shuffle Controls. Keep in mind that the Marlo Tilt is angle-vulnerable to the spectators on your right side.

The second move is more tricky because it is executed on the spectator's subconscious level. However, it can be done under her nose with the uniformity of rapid action by picking the top packet of cards at the outer left corner and inner right corner using the right middle finger and thumb, and then turnover to display the face-up and face-down cards in both packets.

Hope this helps! Smile

~ Albert Einstein ~
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
939 Posts

Profile of Aus
To me I find it hard to see where misdirection is really needed in this trick. The card being replaced and controlled shouldn't come under any scrutiny if your control is well performed,even a finger break followed by a double under cut would do the trick. Everything really comes down to attitude, done frivolously without a focus on any intent and people will treat what your doing with the same general attitude and attention.

The only sensitive point in the trick is the reassembling of the piles after the face up and down display which handled in the way I said above should work just fine for most people.

What I do feel that you came across was someone trying to bust your chops, and I feel have a strategy for that. Assemble the two half's after the display in neck tie position with the deck facing face out towards the spectator, this will help hide the discrepancy of the top cards not being rotated the correct way around that they would otherwise be. When bringing the piles together, do so with rapid action and uniformity as SamChak has suggested because the bigger action masks the smaller one of the other pile being in a different rotation as it was before. Keep holding the deck in neck tie position well you request the spectator to place a hand out palm up. Take the neck tied deck and place the deck face up on his palm and put his other hand on top then build towards a climax.

Follow that handling and any hawk eyed spectator will have little hope in seeing the discrepancy, this all needs to be done in a frivolous off hand manner as I described earlier.

Here is another tip that I'll throw in with this trick that will help with the impact. When you do the reveal do it from a face-up deck not a face down one because it allows you to capitalise and dramatize two distinct effects the trick has. The first being the cards mysteriously sorting themselves out of their face up and down mixed state, then the reversed chosen card.

Because the reversed card is face down the game hasn't been given away and you now have the opportunity to build tension and better highlight the two distinct effects that have taken place.

Magically

Aus
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:

how about putting it on top and doing a false swing cut then a simple overhand shuffle controling it to the bottom
abbeylane
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of abbeylane
Thanks guys.
Karli
View Profile
New user
Estonia
71 Posts

Profile of Karli
Tommy Wonder was the master at this. He said you must not miss direct but rather offer something interesting at its place. So if you want to make them not look at your hands or the deck, you must give them something else to look at or concentrate at that seems logical. Read Wonder words volume I and look at the man in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfWI9_RVCWs
Karli
View Profile
New user
Estonia
71 Posts

Profile of Karli
Its The Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need misdirection for card tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL