The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » ARRRRGH! The PM system just doesn't work! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
I'm sorry, I would PM my problems, but the ***ed thing wont let me! Whenever I try to send a PM I just get a Value Input Error.

Please, contact the coder!

C. Vernon Bitter
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
Heres the Code error:
Could not insert to PM MESSAGES table.
Error code pm_reply5
INSERT INTO pm_messages VALUES ('', '706', 1078386203, 6485, '205.188.209.14', 0, 8395, 0, '[message here, taken out for privacy reasons]', 0)
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Darck,

Please send me the full error code by email so I can view exactly what you're posting. There may be some characters in the message that is messing up the works, and in that case I'll need to take care of that. This never showed up during testing, but I have to think there's something in the text of your message doing it. The number of fields is correct. Don't worry, your message is unimportant to me, and will only be used to determine what the problem may be and how to correct it.

gene@gmbwebworks.com

Thanks!
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
Why was the PM system changed in the first place? I can't quite figure out how the new one works . . . and how many of us have enough time to study the lengthy FAQ about it, when we were all used to the old PM system, which seemed to be working fine!!

I just attempted to send a PM to someone and got a message asking whether I wanted to "save" or "Trash" it. I don't even know what that's about.

Steve Hoffman
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Steve, without going through the entire FAQ sections for you, I'll say that one of the biggest problems with the old system was that once you sent a PM, you couldn't view it later. If someone responded to your message, you may not remember what your message actually send unless they quoted it. The new system has features that are very useful to a great many of the members but may not be something you chose to use.

They system is basically quite simple.

To send a PM, click on send new pm. Type in the members name, a subject and then your message. Click on add message and that's it. A copy of your message is in the sent box where it will remain unless you want to save it or trash it.

If you get reply to your PM, the system will take your message, attach the reply and put it in the inbox where it will be marked "NEW". The tabs give you complete control over what you want to do with your messages.

Two nice features are: if you want to send your message to more than one person, after sending the first, click on the tab to send a copy. Now you only have to type the user name without doing a copy paste or retyping your message. The other is that you can't accidently delete PM's you may want to keep. You move your message to the trash folder where it remains. If you click on delete from that folder, you'll be asked basically "are you sure".

Hope that helps you.
Where the magic begins
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
WOOO-HOOO! *Shakes hips in coup de' grace for helping Gene Solve the problem*

God Bless,

C. Vernon Bitter
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
Dave,
Thank you. Your explanation makes sense. I'm sure it was all there within the voluminous FAQs, but your 'short & sweet' explanation was very useful to me. Also, I see what you mean about the advantage of having a copy of PMs that I've sent.

Steve Hoffman
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yes, the ability to save your own posts in a PM thread is something I've asked for, for a while. Thanks for implementing this! So far, so good.

Jack Shalom
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I like the new system,
There was times I wanted an older post to send to someelse and this system allowed me to do that.
Dennis Michael
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1483 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
This new PM system is GREAT. Thanks a lot to all the people who contributed to achieve it (amongst them, Gene is not the last one, I think...)
Jonathan.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I LOVE the new system! No more tangled balls of yarn. Everything neatly compartmentalized! It's SOOOO much better than the old system. Like the proverbial night and day!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » ARRRRGH! The PM system just doesn't work! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL