We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ECSII Early Review ! (106 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1479 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Vlad did you do notes on character? I would buy that.
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1320 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Maybe by next year I will, I have thought about it (but I do better speaking, as I have a tendency to keep going back and editing the written word)
but thank you for asking
Vlad
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1001 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Professor BC, You made me double over with laughter with the brief review of my performance.

For those of you that weren't there,
it's kind of an inside joke amongst the convention goers.

SB
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1320 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Next year I know one of the talks will be on Local ghost stories/legends and building the story
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I echo the same sentiments as the previous posters. The overall #1 highlight for me was simply being among so many of my fellow bizarre brethren. The laughs, conversations, brainstorming sessions, and socializing with those who love the same thing that I do was simply fantastic. I looked forward to this ever since last year and I am already eagerly awaiting next year's conference. It was truly a special time.

A few personal highlights off the top of my head:
1. Walking in and immediately seeing Dan Baines with this booth across the room and meeting him face to face for the first time. Surreal.
2. Daniel Greenwolf's performance during the final evening - absolutely enthralling story that captivated the imagination.
3. Sitting at a table eating with Paul Voodini, Dan Baines, Professor BC, E.R. Perkins, Vic Nadata, Aiden Sinclair, and TH1.
4. Being a Blues Brother.
5. Being onstage with Jim Magus.
6. Combination briefcases... Lol!

Oh, and did I mention just hanging out with all these folks who love all things bizarre.

I could keep going but I have some kids who are about done with naptime...so I'll leave it there for now - and I haven't even gotten to all the great performances over the course of the weekend.

Chad
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17684 Posts

Profile of Slim King
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
That was, COOL !!!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of Perkins
I fell compelled to testify. I hope you don’t mind.

Bizarre brothers and sisters, ECSS is calling you home. Make the trip.

When you really sit back and think about it, how many folks are there in the world that share your preoccupation with bizarre magic and performance? I don’t know exactly what that true number would be, but I wager it’s south of 500. What if you could stand around with a hundred of them for a weekend? What happens when we step out from behind our keyboards and take a chance at meeting some of these people? What happens when we spend a strange, sleep-deprived weekend in a cavalcade of performances, lectures, tutorials, demos and dealer tables — all of these moments surrounded by very real opportunities to meet the very real people behind these ideas and creations? It’s called a Mountaintop Experience. It’s the kind of thing that can inspire and reinvigorate you. It can send you back down the mountain with renewed interest and energy.

There are lots of message board clichés:

a masterclass in…
inspired thinking…
worth it’s weight in gold…
fortunate enough to receive an advanced copy from the creator…

Cliches are cliches because they are true and easy to say (type). But I submit that until you sit in on an *actual* masterclass in say, gimmickless seance by Paul Voodini, or Presentation vs. Representation by Prof BC, until then those cliches are just place-holders. Go get the real thing. Find the truth behind these boilerplates. When you’re standing around, face to face with performers, artists, creators, writers and enthusiasts that ALL suffer from your own fascination with the shadows, this is where you’ll find the most inspiration and gold.

See a fella’s show. Have a beer with him later that night. Swap ideas. Ask questions. Make contact. ECSS is something rather special right now. I hope it will remain that way for many more.

I’m not just talking through my hat. I’m only a couple of years down the River Styx with bizarre magic, or magic of any kind for that matter. This year, however, marks my 20 year anniversary as a professional performer. I tell you this, not in an attempt to anonymously wow you on a message board (many of those years are painfully void of glamour), but to qualify that I have been going to performance festivals and conferences, of all sorts, for two decades: sketch comedy festivals, fringe theater fests, musical fests, writing workshops and actor conferences. Hell, I’ve even started a few myself. There are two points to this: First, I have come to trust these ‘sleepaway camps’ as well-springs of creativity and inspiration that feed me throughout the year. Secondly, out of all of them, every one, ECSS is my favorite.

No sacred cows or VIP access. No bloated egos. Just gracious, genuine people sharing their art and perspectives, openly. Living legends and rising stars right there alongside the initiates and wide-eyed newbies, and everybody’s getting along famously.

My highlights this year:

- Paul Voodini’s workshop. The JTR Seance was a gateway drug for me, so to see him in action, to participate as he illustrated these works was nothing short of mind expanding. In person he is giving and generous with his time to all, bubbling with enthusiasm and a flat out riot.

- Meeting Dan Baines after years of electronic Hail Marys and long distance collaboration was a real treat. We stood around for hours swapping stories about fairy folklore, dark bowers, Bigfoot and questionable naming conventions of British food products. He is hilarious and inspired.

- Prof BC’s lecture was (once again!) a moment of clarity for performers of any stage or station. His personal views on character, audience interaction, misdirection and presentation are nothing short of a bizarre mandate for a guy like myself. I was torn between taking copious notes and sitting agog.

- Aiden Sinclair’s powerful lecture and approach to Theatrical Exorcism. This is a man who understands the trope of “With great power, comes great responsibility”. The darker you go, the more your audience needs you. His lecture was epic. His performance was riveting.

- Vlad, again shows himself to be one of the great keepers of the flame. His dedication to character is yet another of those masterclasses. His approach to “Erasing Red Flags” was taken to heart.

- Friday night performances by Jim Magus and Chad C., followed by TH1 were fantastic. There is a point of pride when you see a friend perform, but when you forget that this is your pal up there onstage, and just drop into the narrative of the show, that’s when you know it’s good.

- Joseph Daniels’ lecture and performance where both absolutely on point. He is a very talented gent. His tasseomancy routine on Saturday night was priceless. He will sit at the High Table of Bizarre Magic.

- But I think my favorite part is always piercing the digital veil and connecting, or re-connecting, with so many amazing people. Some of the best things you take home with you are those groggy, “hallway conversations”. Deals are struck. Ideas are traded ‘round. So many great folks. Too many to name here.

I charge you now, Spooky, get yourself to ECSS III. Find out that "You've Always Been There".

My thanks, as well, to Steve, Vlad, Rich, Nobody, and all the rest of those who worked so tirelessly to bring this labour of love to so many kindred spirits.

Call again. We will return.

Perkins
Dr SH
View Profile
Elite user
French Spirit in Sydney
420 Posts

Profile of Dr SH
All these great reviews, luckily all your positive energy and new inspirations will spread amount all of us through the year. Perkins, congratulation for your 20 years anniversary, I wish at least another 20 year of success.
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Just a quick line to thank everyone involved with ECSS for making my visit so much fun! Connecting with people who I'd only ever communicated with online, or who I've been aware of but had up to that point never talked to, was the highlight of the trip for me. Finally meeting guys like Perkins and Sebastian Black and feeling as though I've known them all my life, instantly connecting with them, is a rare delight.

Thanks to Vlad, Steve Gibson, and Rich Lavengood for making it happen, all the other guys who worked tirelessly to make the event run smoothly, and to everyone who attended and made me feel so welcome. Finally, thanks to Dan Baines, my fellow Brit who travelled with me, for making me cry with laughter more often than I can remember, and the entire crew of the Sunday Night Filthy Joke competition, and impromptu affair that is set to become a tradition.

All things being equal, I will be back next year.

Finally, some of the guys who attended my lecture asked me to list the PDFs that covered all the aspects I talked about in my lecture. They were: Midnight Side of the Mind, Paranormal Entertainer, Psychic Phenomena, Multi-Dimensional Out of this World, Magician's Guide to Palm Reading, and the Cold Reading Lecture. I *think* that about covers it! Don't forget the convention discount still applies for everyone who attended, and the bundle offer on *all* my works for those amongst you who had never come across my work until that point. You can email me sheffieldmagic@hotmail.co.uk

Until next year, brothers and sisters...
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Jimmy Ledbetter
View Profile
Regular user
the Dirty South
127 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Ledbetter
I just want to thank everyone that was a part of making ECSS II happen! I had a great time and everybody that was there was SO welcoming and willing to share thoughts and ideas. I have never been to anything, with magicians, where every attendee, to a person, was SO friendly! It made the 2100 mile (round trip) drive worth every mile. I WILL be there next year!!!

Jimmy
Jimmy Ledbetter
www.houstonmentalism.com
ECSS II Alumni
ECSS III Alumni
"Do not seek the truth, for the truth will find you"
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1320 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Thaddeus glad you had a good time, and thanks for being part of it
Vlad ^0^
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Jimmy Ledbetter
View Profile
Regular user
the Dirty South
127 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Ledbetter
Thanks Vlad...it was great getting to meet you AND everyone else.

Jimmy
Jimmy Ledbetter
www.houstonmentalism.com
ECSS II Alumni
ECSS III Alumni
"Do not seek the truth, for the truth will find you"
revenantproductions
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of revenantproductions
Thank you to Rich, Vlad, Steve and everyone who worked so hard to make this happen. It was truly brilliant to meet so many creative souls and exchange ideas. It makes me even more sorry for missing it last year and I can't wait to return again.

A.S.
Daisydog
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
Sounds fantastic. Is there a registration link at all anywhere advertising next year's do?
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1320 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Daisy we don't have one up yet as we haven't decided/finalized whether we are shifting to a different venue or not yet, once the ink is dry we will start let people in on what we have in store
Vlad ^0^
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Daisydog
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
Thanks Vlad.
Taveren001
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
174 Posts

Profile of Taveren001
Yes, thanks for keeping us informed, but mostly thanks for organizing this with the other great people that made ECSS I & II a great success for all of us attendees!
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1320 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Thank you all for supporting it, we took a shot when everyone told us we would only get about 30 the first year and we got around 90 , so the success has to do in part with everyone pulling together and making this sort of a family event
Vlad ^0^
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
ECSS II was a total blast. Thanks to all the coordinators for making such a wonderful event!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » ECSII Early Review ! (106 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL