We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Too proud to ask for help, humbled by another (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Hey everyone...

I'm in tears right now. Humbled by a small showing of generosity from a fellow performer.

Just last night while traveling I had everything I use to perform stolen. Right out of my car.

My insurance won't cover any of it - and I'm now crippled performance wise. My work is my families sole income.

It took 10 years and thousands of dollars to attain my props, clothes, sound equipment etc.

My family sacrificed a great deal to assemble those items, they're now gone and won't soon be replaced.

A friend has set up this generous campaign.

I was too proud to ask for help. Mark has shown me that help is out there when we need it.

I need you guys Smile

https://www.gofundme.com/d7k9sdqs
xxx
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Terrible news, and terrible thing to have happen to you.

You'll get thru this.

What items need to be replaced? Perhaps some of us have an extra.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of nonprofitmagic
Sorry to hear this...are you still doing psychic readings for $60? I would love to pay you $100 for this...let me know. Best to you.

kevin
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Knowing it's not covered by insurance and that I can't afford to replace it hurts my soul. It literally brings tears to my eyes. Here is a list of the other things that were stolen. If you have these and are open to selling at a reasonable price I would appreciate a pm...
Black box
MOABT
Final flashback -
Multi dimensional-
2 Parapad -
Colour match-
Finders keepers
Cicada board x 3
Brown hornet
Boris wild deck
Spot on bags
xxx
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17542 Posts

Profile of Slim King
This is horrible!!!!! Just before I went to the East Coast Spirit Sessions I was going to load my car early the night before. My wife made me stop and do it right before I left. Times are getting really bad. Let's do a fund raiser!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
I feel for you. Bit unsure why a lot of fellow performers are failing to have adequate insurance : let that be a lesson - check your policies and get it sorted.

However, there does seem to be a lot of asking for charity of strangers these days. Is this how things are now?
There is no holy grail!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Yes....at the very least please get business insurance. It could literally save your livlihood.

As for asking strangers for help. The page was started for me by a virtual stranger. That moment made me reach out to my community. I have always believed that asking for help is a sign of strength - not weakness.

J
xxx
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
I'm quite shocked by this.
The props for my current show are insured for £10,000 in the UK & Europe (including theft from vehicle) through http://www.hencilla.co.uk/unions/equity/ it's only about £150 a year.
I also have tour insurance when on tour on top.

Why wouldn't any professional insure the tools of their trade?
Mechanics do it, musicians do it, dentists do it.

Like I say, I'm shocked.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I actually have insurance.

BUT - the policy I have isn't covering anything because I was parked at a friends home.

Had the "wrong insurance" I suppose....

But thanks for the comments guys. I fully intend to do what I can with what I have. But my program has been fine tuned and crafted with these items over 10 years.

I really don't know what to say.
xxx
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Sorry to hear about your situation, it sucks.

Let's not kick a guy when he's down.
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Both Flashback and MOAB sold recently on the KT Kenna auction site. Both buyers got excellent deals. If those buyers read this, it would be quite appropriate for them to consider selling these props to Jay at a reasonable price. I would recommend contacting Craig F. regarding CM and Parapad replacements.
John
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sorry something bad has happened...however, you are a full time working pro, give readings and have a popular radio show, so hopefully you'll be able to save sooner than later...good luck 🍀
I've asked to be banned
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
The only thing I don't get is why the fundraiser is for $10,000? First, as someone else said, do you really need all of those electronic gizmos? I own exactly two electronic items which are about as high end as you can get and even then they only cost $2,000 combined... Ten grand seems like it would cover WAY more than listed on the GoFundMe page and in any case isn't it kind of greedy to expect strangers to replace ALL of your gear? Helping you get back up and running, sure. But replacing all of your electronics? Learn how to work without them, folks! As I've said elsewhere, know classic methods that require zero expensive props and you'll never regret it!
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Thanks Iain. All true. Your well wishes mean a lot.
xxx
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I know he lost all his sound equipment, computer equipment, and clothing in addition to the material listed here.
And some of this material is expensive, especially the first item...

I agree with the low tech advice, but he isn't me. He does what works for him, who am I to say anything about that?

Tony
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
And I am a working pro....with 3 kids....a 4th on the way.....radio isn't a very lucrative gig. We all need help sometimes Smile
xxx
nonprofitmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of nonprofitmagic
Jay Are, do you perform psychic readings as indicated on your website? If I pay you $100, which is $40 above your market rate (think of it as a donation), can you do it on me?

Kevin
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2016, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I know he lost all his sound equipment, computer equipment, and clothing in addition to the material listed here.
And some of this material is expensive, especially the first item...

I agree with the low tech advice, but he isn't me. He does what works for him, who am I to say anything about that?

Tony

Oh, I see. Yeah, that makes sense. Well, best of luck Jay.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Thanks Tom! Your thoughts and vouching are enough 😌
xxx
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I don't know if it means anything, but I also vouch for Jay.
We have corresponded for more than 10 years and in that time he has never mislead me, even when we were not on the best of terms.

He is honest, and that is one of the reasons he is in the situation he is in. He would not lie to the insurance company. I respect that!

Tony Iacoviello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Too proud to ask for help, humbled by another (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL