The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini golf ball through silk? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jamesmwood
View Profile
New user
El Paso, Texas
97 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Bill Hegbli,

Thanks so much for your advice. I was knew you would provide useful guidance. First, it is very helpful to learn that neither the Fakini nor the JIELI balls work well with Ball in Silk. I won't search any further in that direction.

Second, I much appreciate your advice to use the soft rubber Billiard Balls that can be purchased on Ebay. I found a set there for $10.23 that is described as "Multiplying Billiard Balls 50mm (Soft Rubber) Yellow Magic" and ordered it, because it seems to be the closest to what you describe. At present, I couldn't find the red or white sets -- only yellow -- but yellow will serve my purpose, because I'm looking for a color that contrasts with a red or dark blue silk.

I will report back later on my experience with these balls. Thanks again for saving me weeks of useless experimentation and pointing me in the right direction.

Jim
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
210 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi Jim, I hope I’m not derailing the thread. In addition to searching for a set that will allow you to do the ball thru silk and hold the silk by the ends, you got me thinking of whether there could be alternative handlings for sets that don’t cooperate? Here’s some handling I came up with. I’m using the JIELI set that I purchased after Bill Hegbli made me aware of it a few years back. The silks I purchased years ago from Duane Laflin. There is a gag in there about the fake rabbit that I got from Duane’s great routine with the silks but I adapted and changed the gag a bit. While trying to put something together I was influenced by thoughts concerning the multiplying balls that Dick Oslund expressed and has shared in his great book “Road Scholar.” I was also influenced by Fred Kaps’ performance of the Homing Card when I was thinking of this! Anyway, it’s a rough idea that needs some work but I wanted to share it in case it could be of interest to others: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=odrkhBtlNEw
John
jamesmwood
View Profile
New user
El Paso, Texas
97 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Hi John,

Thank you for sharing your very charming routine. I particularly liked the ending, which was a complete surprise -- and funny! I also thought that your method of tugging the ball through the silk, with great effort, was very effective. And it was clever how you managed to do the Ball Through Silk with a ball that won't stick firmly into the shell. I hope Dick Oslund sees this routine because it borrows some of his good ideas and adds much that is creative.

Jim
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5269 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
John, another very nice, fun, and magical routine! Your creative juices are flowing for sure!! I really enjoy your work.

I've nothing to add to the main topic. I am still using the metal (and grip tight) gaffs/gimmicks (Dick which is proper?) of the old Ireland set. I am down to only six original Ireland balls left and several of those are starting to either harden or split. I just paint them and carry on. At some point they will be gone and I'll just have the gaffus things. I keep buying any set in decent shape that comes up for sale. I pretty much use the Billy McComb and Dick Oslund handlings. I agree with John (Kanawati) that Dick's book is a treasure. Good philosophy, tips, and routines therein.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8180 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks, Harry, for your kind words! Jon Racherbaumer twisted my arm until I agreed to write "the" book! It's selling all over the world. (I never dreamed, when I was 16, that someday I would write q book that would be of interest to so many magicians!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini golf ball through silk? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL