The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Are some Betallatex colors bad/fragile? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Ok, so jewel tones from Qualatex suck. They pop very easily. I now completely avoid them.

What about Betallatex? Are all their colors ok or are some of them very easily popped (similar to Qualatex jewel tones)?

Also, I need some clear 260's. I'm a little afraid to get Qualatex clear 260's since it seems that anything translucent from Qualatex is bad. Are the Betallatex clear 260's better?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Funny you should mention that. I *just* ordered a couple bags of jewel tone 5" rounds, even though I know they pop like crazy. Why? To use as jewels in crowns. No twisting requires, therefore popping shouldn't be much of an issue.

I use Qualatex clears quite often and I don't have much trouble with them. I don't know if they're as thin as jewel tones. They do have a definite creamy yellow look to them when they're uninflated, and the jewel tones don't, which makes me wonder if the clears are maybe a little thicker.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Aha, good to know. I'll go ahead and get the Qualatex clear 260's.

Are there any *Betallatex* colors I should avoid that you know of?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
I haven't bought a bag of Betallatex balloons in many years, and I'm really totally ignorant about them. I was just considering investing in a bag or two of their blue 360s since I know the Betallatex are true 360s while the Qualatex are only 350s, and I've been making a lot of Cody's big Minions lately. I could use the extra 10"! (That's what HE said!)
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Yep, Cody's minions are great. I'm using one of his minion recipes that only uses 260s (and a 5" round).
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I've found that generally the "jewel tones" are weaker regardless of the manufacturer.

The only one I use is onyx black.

I tried black pearlized to get a stronger balloon but they just don't look or feel the same.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
The jewel tones are weaker regardless of brand because they are thinner (less dye). The only solution is to go a little and be a little more careful.

The only jewel tones I use are onyx black (because Q doesn't make an opaque black) and diamond clear.

My one suggestion about brands is to stick with one brand for each color. For example, if you decide you want the extra length for purple, so you buy purple 360s Betallic, then get Betallic purple for all the sizes. That way if you are purple animal that requires several sizes of purple, all of the purples match.

I personally use Qualatex for everything, but I know several people who use Q for everything except 1-2 colors where they prefer B.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Thanks NYCTwister and Karen.

Karen, good advice about sticking to one brand per color.

It sounds like clear 260s might be weaker than opaque 260s simply because of the (lack of) dye. In that case, there may be little difference between Q and B.

Still, if anyone has done a comparison, I'd love to hear about it.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Betallatex is slightly thicker overall, but since Qualatex is as thick as necessary it's not a big issue, to me at least.

I order both for a greater variety of colors.
Can't have to many pinks. Smile

As Josho said the extra ten inches in the 360's comes in handy. Also you can see the extra thickness as they appear slightly thinner.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Sorry I meant the clear 260s ("diamond clear") in particular.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Ok, in case anyone digs up this thread months or years later and is wondering what the OP's final decision was:

I ended up ordering "260B crystal clear (Betallatex)" and they are really great. No issues with popping.

I also switched to Betallatex for black 260s. Much better. And I love B's neon pink 260's.
lpmorgens
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of lpmorgens
The Betallatex pink pearl POPS very loudly... My daughter hurt her ear when it popped, and my husband also heard an extremely loud pop from another room. Across the room, my ear was also ringing. We are checking to see if this happens with the other pearl colors...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Are some Betallatex colors bad/fragile? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL