The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Producing Macaws (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I need new ideas to produce my macaws. I don't want to use harnesses because I feel uncomfortable doing so. I prefer to place them in production boxes. Previously, I've been using the Jack Hughes Spacious Production Box. I can fit two macaws in it.
I also produce a macaw from my cape. He just hangs on his beak behind my belt strap.
Macaws have long tail feathers as compared to cockatoos which can fit in production boxes where ducks, rabbits or small dogs can fit in.
Can anyone give me other ideas how to produce these larger birds as an opening effect? Thanks.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Just hangs on his beak until production time? WOW! There's a good handler and lover of birds. You know I grew up with parrots (mom's hobby) and it's amazing, once given a task to do, how they do it so well.

Why do you shy away from a well made custom harness? It's a very safe and comfortable way to keep them until production.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
For an opening? I've seen it done before, but it sends me the message of the act seeming unbalanced. When you're doing your act you want a nice strong opener and producing a large macaw would be totally strong, but as long as you can build from there to a stronger ending I'd say go for it. If you're wearing a cape in the beginning that's an excellent place to hide out your bird so you don't have to go back to a table or assistant to steal the bird. Maybe think of some flashy silk opener with a stremer going out, coling it back in or something. With the movement of your arm pulling the streamer back in you're in the perfect position to steal the parrot off your back. So basically like this:
Throw out streamer with right hand and pull it back using your left hand as a guide. We'll say its a 12ft. streamer. You're pulling it back and gathering it with your right hand so your right hand has to go back and forth from your hip to your left hand and back to your hip to gather and pull the streamer. Once you get to the end of the streamer and your hand is back at your hip you're in perfect position to steal the bird off your back belt. Just have some other misdirection to cover the steal, say one more 24-26 in. silk production from your left hand as a kicker with some confetti. Turn to the right slightly to hide your hand going for the parrot, and there's your steal. -Just an idea of course, nothing too major, but an opening that's quick and visual. If I didn't explain it well enough PM me or email or I'll just reply on here and try to be more specific. Good luck!

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Dan

Great to see you again! Hows yr performance at the castle, I am sure it rocks them Smile

Hi Macaw Magic

The best parrot steal I have seen is the Candle act as performed by Greg Frewin's on his One Hour TV special 'Magic At Sea'

He produced a couple of white streamer from rose, thin air..very fast, follows by the stealing the parrot from the table...Very FAST, SMOOTH ELEGANT!
on Par with Brett Dianel..they both are the best! you many like to check out their video!

U may also like to check out Jason Byrne's video where he now produced a parrot at the end aka his duck act..Ice Mcdonald & Hammer...you many watch to get some idea too...not forgetting Joseph Gabriel Smile

btw Greg is releasing his 3 DVD dove video out on First April...reservation is on the way...perhaps he teaches some dove stuffs that can be apply to parrots...u may like to order & remember to ask for his 3 autograph!

I can't wait to see his method for his sleeveLESS dove toss gimmick build at the back plam on the hand...hope this helps Smile

Hi Dan

btw, do you have the World Magic Award Show feature Tommy Wonder going his amazing Orage, Lemon & egg routine...I would like to see this....please advise Smile
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2225 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Randy and Dove-boy,
I have made every conceivable harness I could think of for my macaws (and cockatoos). Yes, I've seen the Hamners, Joseph Gabriel, Brett Daniels, Alpha, Paul Fiddler and other parrot acts worldwide. Most use the harness. Though, I haven't seen Frewin's production. One thing I hate to see is a parrot screaming in pain when they are produced or sometimes grasping for air when produced. I really hate to see this.
I would rather use my doves, ducks, chickens or rabbits for a harness production BUT I feel so uncomfortable using my parrots. I feel sad when I do it. They are so SMART and deserve more comfort. That's why I prefer box tricks because they just rest or sleep while they are in it.
Aside from that, my 3 macaws (Blue& Gold, GreenWing and Hyacinth) are free flighted. They can fly in tightspots and just a signal from me, and they return to my waiting hand. They also have their own individual acts during my show.
It's just me, I'm still not convinced using a harness.

Dan,
Thanks for your idea. You are right when you say that producing a macaw is spectacular to the audience. Funny thing is I produce a macaw first before my doves. Audience are all looking at my macaw, while I produce the doves next. He has already stolen the show.

Thanks to you all for sharing. Hope to hear more ideas.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Producing Macaws (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL