The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Obscure trivia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Lets start a thread of trivia, so obscure that it cannot be simply googled for the answer. That by itself is not easy, but I have one to start.

Why did Scotty say... "I sure hope he sneezes."
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
OK, so no one knows the answer. That is fine. I did say obscure.

I was kind of hoping for other pieces of obscurity to join in.

If no one joins in or tries to answer this one, I will agree there was no interest, and let the topic go.

Question 2: Who was the first person to make a computer sing?
Much easier follow up: What was the song?
Magic is like Science,
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
What was the answer to the first one?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:

Question 2: Who was the first person to make a computer sing?
Much easier follow up: What was the song?

Are you thinking of the song Daisy Bell? I think that is the popular answer. Not sure it is really correct.

If you are, then I think the answer to the first part of your question would be one or more of John Larry Kelly, Carol Lockbaum, Max Mathews, and Louis Gerstman. It seems to me they all played a part.

You can buy various versions of their work on itunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/bh/app/daisy-da......124?mt=8

The reason I say Daisy Bell may not really be the first song is because I assume similar work was going on elsewhere in the world, and it would not surprise me in the least if someone somewhere else might have done this first without the rest of the world knowing about it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Good call Balducci. Pat yourself on the back. for that one. Not sure how you fond that (correct) list of names, but analyzing my screen name (cliffg37) reveals that my first name is indeed Cliff. Given that my last name is Gerstman I think we have a strong clue as to how I come by the info. Indeed I was a little one when he came home all excited one day and brought out an old fashioned reel to reel tape recorder. He played the Daisy song that was used a year or so later in the movie 2001.

I got to stay home from school a day to watch him on TV. He was interviewed on a PBS news show.

Was other work being done elsewhere? No idea. Probably so, but history records the team you listed as having gotten the job done.
Magic is like Science,
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Wow, very cool!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Still looking for the answer to the question; Why did Scotty say; "I sure hope he sneezes."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
For those still searching, I am about to answer it, so close this box up unless you want to read it.

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler Alert

The question was good magic in that it contains some fine misdirection. When most people think of something Scotty said, they think of Star Trek. This is misdirection, since Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery Scott never said that to the best of my knowledge.

The Scotty in this case refers to a minor character who appeared in the "Our Gang" comedies. (The Little Rascals) This Scotty did not appear for long as friend and second banana to Spanky; he was soon replaced with Alfalfa.

This Scotty was speaking of an uptight chauffeur who suffered from allergies, and was in the presence of a mule who hated when people sneezed, and would chase them for it.

We never find out what the mule would do if he caught up to anyone, as he never did. The Chauffeur provided comedy not so much for sneezing, not so much for being chased, but for being a proper gentleman placed in a ridiculous situation.

OK... there is your answer.

Anyone else have some interesting obscure trivia?
Magic is like Science,
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
The only obscure thing I have was the bit about the Lone Ranger/Green Hornet and I've told that one already.

I won a t-shirt for knowing what Bruce Banner's middle name was. Would that count?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Everything counts Ed! Thanks for joining in.

Bruce Banner's middle name?

That is a trick question isn't it?
Magic is like Science,
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:
The only obscure thing I have was the bit about the Lone Ranger/Green Hornet and I've told that one already.

Both were created on Detroit radio and were related. The Lone Ranger came first.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2016, motown wrote:
Quote:

Both were created on Detroit radio and were related. The Lone Ranger came first.

Yeah, but Kato could luck all their asses at the same time.

Wasn't it Bruce David Banner?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

I won a t-shirt for knowing what Bruce Banner's middle name was. Would that count?

I have not googled this, but I think his middle name might be Bruce.

As in David Bruce Banner.

Or perhaps his full name is Bruce David Banner and I am a little mixed up?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Clearly David is likely in there somewhere, unless NYCTwister is my secret identity!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
David was the name given by the TV network when Hulk was on TV 1978-1982 or so. They did not like the name "Bruce" as in Bruce Wayne or Bruce Jenner. Marvel Comics gives him a different take on it.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The show's Wikipedia page provides a couple of possible reasons for the switch:

Johnson changed the name of the Hulk's comic book alter ego, Dr. Bruce Banner, to Dr. David Banner for the TV series. This change was made, according to Johnson, because he did not want the series to be perceived as a comic book series, so he wanted to change what he felt was a staple of comic books, and Stan Lee's comics in particular, that major characters frequently had alliterative names.[9] According to Lou Ferrigno, it was also changed because CBS thought the name Bruce sounded "too gay-ish," a rationale that Ferrigno thought was "the most absurd, ridiculous thing I'd ever heard."[10] On the DVD commentary of the pilot, Johnson says that it was a way to honor his son David.
Magic is like Science,
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2016, balducci wrote:
Clearly David is likely in there somewhere, unless NYCTwister is my secret identity!

I hope not, for your sake!
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
See the Stan Lee interview on the subject here:

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions......-tv-show

Stan Lee says it had to do with the network's perception of the gayness of 'Bruce'.

Also, there is a picture there of Banner's headstone:

So looks like my first answer was correct: "Bruce" is the middle name.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
Everything counts Ed! Thanks for joining in.

Bruce Banner's middle name?

That is a trick question isn't it?

Yep.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2016, balducci wrote:
See the Stan Lee interview on the subject here:

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions......-tv-show

Stan Lee says it had to do with the network's perception of the gayness of 'Bruce'.

Also, there is a picture there of Banner's headstone:

So looks like my first answer was correct: "Bruce" is the middle name.

It is, but "Bruce" is his middle name in the comic book too. So, I guess the obscure trivia question would be; If Banner's first name in the show was "David," what is his first name in the comic book?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Obscure trivia (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL