The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Bling Bling Jam? Or other convention? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I’ve been twisting for almost a year. I'm not a professional; I mainly do volunteer work for little kids, and I have a regular day job.

I was thinking of attending a balloon convention, possibly Bling Bling Jam in Las Vegas in July. I noticed that there may be magic classes as well. I've been doing magic far longer than I’ve been twisting, so this is appealing to me. I'd be flying out from NY, but I don't really mind (and I like Las Vegas anyway).

Here are my questions:

Does anyone have an opinion of this convention?

Considering that I'm an amateur twister, would you suggest a different convention instead? I have no idea what would be right for me.

It runs from Sunday-Thursday. Should I plan on being there the whole time, or does it get boring to twist for 5 straight days?

Being away from my wife for that long doesn't really appeal to me. Considering that she's a non-twister, do you think she'd still have a good time if she came to Vegas for part of the time? In other words, is there a lot of down time when the two of us could hang out on the strip? (I know the hotel isn't on the strip. In fact, it doesn’t seem to resemble the hotels on the strip at all!)

Thanks for any advice you all can give.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I've never been but from what I've gleaned from various threads they tend to be intensive and immersive, so maybe not bringing the wife might be best.
I guess you should weigh what you hope to get vs what it will cost.

Considering you do volunteer work -mad respect for even considering the investment.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
I've never been but from what I've gleaned from various threads they tend to be intensive and immersive, so maybe not bringing the wife might be best.
I guess you should weigh what you hope to get vs what it will cost.

Thanks for the advice. In terms of what it will cost, I guess the time cost is a bigger deal than the monetary cost. The convention organizers have really kept costs down for this. (And those hotel rates are super low.) I'm willing to take five days in July to attend this; I guess I'm just wondering if this is the best one to attend.

Quote:
Considering you do volunteer work -mad respect for even considering the investment.

Thanks, but it's really a hobby that I enjoy. Since you probably do this for a living, it might be hard to imagine.

But if I reversed things and did ballooning for a living, I'd probably do number crunching for fun as a hobby. Smile
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Since it has magic also it sounds like a good one.
If you go solo you might want to factor iqn a mini vacation for you and the missus.
Happy wife..and like that.

I donate my time to various school fundraisers, but it's primarily my livelihood, so for me it's not just the time/cost it's also about the gigs I'd lose.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2016, NYCTwister wrote:
I donate my time to various school fundraisers, but it's primarily my livelihood, so for me it's not just the time/cost it's also about the gigs I'd lose.

Aha good point. I'm only volunteering when the office is closed. Smile

Ok any opinions out there as to which is the best balloon convention? (I'm sure a fair number of the readers of this forum have some experience with this. )
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Bling Bling Jam? Or other convention? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.38 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL