The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Metal TT's? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Why did magicians transfer to plastic TT's? Is it still possible to buy a metal TT? I could not imagine that it is because plastic is more realistic. TT's are not SUPPOSED to be realistic, they are gimmicks! A gimmick is not supposed to be seen. This is mostly out of curiosity...
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
I was shown this from an Australian Magician called Sean Taylor when I was first learning it, wonderful guy. He pointed this out to me while using a brightly coloured BLUE TT. he pointed out how his T...b never enters the hand from above. I believe it is the Darwin steal?? I have done it that way ever since.
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, ColtonRaelund wrote:
Why did magicians transfer to plastic TT's?

Id guess a lot would have to do with cost and being able to mass produce them for low prices.
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2016, Austen wrote:
Quote:
Why did magicians transfer to plastic TT's?

Id guess a lot would have to do with cost and being able to mass produce them for low prices.

That makes sense. Everything seems to revolve around the almighty dollar anymore... Smile pardon the pun Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I would first ask "Why do you want / need a metal TT?" If it is a weight issue for sleeving, several magicians use "lead tape?" (adds weight, looks like duct tape a little) I believe it is called.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Its also surprising how well a good plastic one holds up to cigarette burns. though nothing, nothing at all seems to remove remove the smell...being a non smoker I hate it
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I would first ask "Why do you want / need a metal TT?" If it is a weight issue for sleeving, several magicians use "lead tape?" (adds weight, looks like duct tape a little) I believe it is called.

I do not really have in interest in one. As I said in my first post, it is out of curiosity. I understand the Poof-Daddy wisdom though; I have been enlightened by it before. Smile
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
A plastic TT can survive a cigarette burn? I would have never thought it! I guess it is because I have never shoved a cigarette into my TT, plus the fact that I am a coffee drinker, not a smoker. Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, Austen wrote:
I was shown this from an Australian Magician called Sean Taylor when I was first learning it, wonderful guy. He pointed this out to me while using a brightly coloured BLUE TT. he pointed out how his T...b never enters the hand from above. I believe it is the Darwin steal?? I have done it that way ever since.

I have told this story before but it relates well to yours

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
A great example I have told before - A long time ago, early in my career. I did not like the skin tone difference from my hands to my thumb-tip. I walked into Chuck's House of Magic in Chicago and told him of my woes and that I would gladly pay a premium if I could find the right tone. He told me that he knew "EXACTLY" what I needed. He went under the counter and dug a small silk out of a box. He then proceeded to do the everyday run of the mill vanish and appearance of said silk. I told him that looked wonderful...Did he have one that would match my skin tone? and held out my hand. He then turned his hand over to expose the chrome plated thumb-tip he had just fooled me badly with and asked if I had any more silly questions. I was dumbfounded, but thankfully he spent the next half hour teaching me how to "properly" use a thumb-tip and how to present it so angles are never a factor. I bought an extra new thumb-tip (off color and all plus a new silk as mine was getting quite worn).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:
A plastic TT can survive a cigarette burn? I would have never thought it! I guess it is because I have never shoved a cigarette into my TT, plus the fact that I am a coffee drinker, not a smoker. Smile

Buy a decent one like Vernet and it will survive for years, also check out Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic video. shows some great routines, correct handling and a bit of a history at the end showing lots of different types of TT. I got a lot out these videos.
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, Austen wrote:

I have told this story before but it relates well to yours

Quote:
On Jan 12, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
A great example I have told before - A long time ago, early in my career. I did not like the skin tone difference from my hands to my thumb-tip. I walked into Chuck's House of Magic in Chicago and told him of my woes and that I would gladly pay a premium if I could find the right tone. He told me that he knew "EXACTLY" what I needed. He went under the counter and dug a small silk out of a box. He then proceeded to do the everyday run of the mill vanish and appearance of said silk. I told him that looked wonderful...Did he have one that would match my skin tone? and held out my hand. He then turned his hand over to expose the chrome plated thumb-tip he had just fooled me badly with and asked if I had any more silly questions. I was dumbfounded, but thankfully he spent the next half hour teaching me how to "properly" use a thumb-tip and how to present it so angles are never a factor. I bought an extra new thumb-tip (off color and all plus a new silk as mine was getting quite worn).
that was very similar to my experience Smile lol but yes ill never forget that lesson from sean, all for free and all I bought was a tt
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
Why did magicians transfer to plastic TT's? Is it still possible to buy a metal TT? I could not imagine that it is because plastic is more realistic. TT's are not SUPPOSED to be realistic, they are gimmicks! A gimmick is not supposed to be seen. This is mostly out of curiosity...

Darn curious kids! --Always asking complicated and difficult questions for us old wise guys to answer! (hee hee)

The 'inventor' of the TT (I've forgotten his name, may he rest in peace.) had his first one made by a jeweler. I think it was of silver, 'cuz nobody had invented plastic yet. Those guys, back then, didn't know very much about science and stuff!

I'll ask Jon Racherbaumer, for the prestidigitator's name. Jon knows how to "Ask Alexander"! I'm too old to learn stuff like that!

I would imagine that "they" switched to plastic, 'cuz it's cheaper. Imagine going to see a manufacturing jeweler to ask him to make you a silver TT! He would probably charge a hundred $! THAT, alone, would reduce the magician population by a gezillion!

That "blacksmith" jeweler, back then, probably spent a whole day, hammering out that first TT! Now, with plastic, it's a simple "blow molding" process. TTs can be made by the hundreds (or thousands) per day, or maybe, even, per hour! --And, no fl*sh colored (?) paint needs to be applied!!!!!!!!

My first (metal) TT, purchased about 1947 from Percy Abbott for $.25 (Yes!!!) served me quite well! It "disappeared" a thousand or so, lit cigarette BUTTS in 'them' days. (It was only about 3 centimeters long, so a whole cigarette couldn't be "disappeared".)

I own a rare item. It's a double ended Vernet TT!!! If we ever meet in person, I MAY even be coaxed into allowing you to see it!

btw...Henry Hay couldn't "decide" whether a TT was a gimmick or a feke! It's still a matter for debate among knowledgeable prestidigitaters, when no other topic, like "how long should the *l*st*c for a pull be"? is worth discussing.

This has been a condensed version of my 90 minute lecture on TTs, which is available for I BOTHER MAGICIANS, or SOME ARE MAGICIANS club,assembly, or ring meetings.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.:
I will check my gimmick (or feke) box. I think there are a few metal TTs left over from the days of my youth. Perhaps, if I were to sell them as collector's items, I could retire to an island in the Carribean.
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:

Darn curious kids! --Always asking complicated and difficult questions for us old wise guys to answer! (hee hee)

The 'inventor' of the TT (I've forgotten his name, may he rest in peace.) had his first one made by a jeweler. I think it was of silver, 'cuz nobody had invented plastic yet. Those guys, back then, didn't know very much about science and stuff!

I'll ask Jon Racherbaumer, for the prestidigitator's name. Jon knows how to "Ask Alexander"! I'm too old to learn stuff like that!

I would imagine that "they" switched to plastic, 'cuz it's cheaper. Imagine going to see a manufacturing jeweler to ask him to make you a silver TT! He would probably charge a hundred $! THAT, alone, would reduce the magician population by a gezillion!

That "blacksmith" jeweler, back then, probably spent a whole day, hammering out that first TT! Now, with plastic, it's a simple "blow molding" process. TTs can be made by the hundreds (or thousands) per day, or maybe, even, per hour! --And, no fl*sh colored (?) paint needs to be applied!!!!!!!!

My first (metal) TT, purchased about 1947 from Percy Abbott for $.25 (Yes!!!) served me quite well! It "disappeared" a thousand or so, lit cigarette BUTTS in 'them' days. (It was only about 3 centimeters long, so a whole cigarette couldn't be "disappeared".)

I own a rare item. It's a double ended Vernet TT!!! If we ever meet in person, I MAY even be coaxed into allowing you to see it!

btw...Henry Hay couldn't "decide" whether a TT was a gimmick or a feke! It's still a matter for debate among knowledgeable prestidigitaters, when no other topic, like "how long should the *l*st*c for a pull be"? is worth discussing.
This has been a condensed version of my 90 minute lecture on TTs, which is available for I BOTHER MAGICIANS, or SOME ARE MAGICIANS club,assembly, or ring meetings.

1947 from Percy Abbott for $.25 :O wow... the man responsible was Professor Herwin of Bristol so says Google...err I mean Alexander
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Austen!

Egad! 30+ posts in a week! Youse musta been saving them up since "forever"!

Thanks for the name of the guy to blame for the invention of the TT!

Jon R. and I had discussed the TT at some length after I had done the "standard" vanishing silk at an I Bother Magicians Ring meeting one night in New Orleans.

Jon was "impressed" because I didn't say, "Here I have a red silk which I will shove into my fist, and it will disappear before your very eyes!"

In 1975, old friend, J.B. Bobo and I were visiting, and, J.B. showed me his routine with a TT and silk. I had been on the road with my school show, and, hadn't seen the new Vernets. I developed a 'handling' for it, and used it all the following season. It played well, and, I 'blame' J.B.!

O
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Quote:
P.S.:
I will check my gimmick (or feke) box. I think there are a few metal TTs left over from the days of my youth. Perhaps, if I were to sell them as collector's items, I could retire to an island in the Carribean.

Hmm... Maybe I should collect some like this. If robbers ever ransacked my house, I do not think they would go for the fake digits. It would be thousands of dollars in disguise! Smile
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Quote:
Quote:

At least the "old wise guys" do not go unappreciated! This block of text is an answer to my curiosity. Its no wonder it has appeared three times in the thread so far!
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:
Hey Austen!

Egad! 30+ posts in a week! Youse musta been saving them up since "forever"!

Thanks for the name of the guy to blame for the invention of the TT!

Jon R. and I had discussed the TT at some length after I had done the "standard" vanishing silk at an I Bother Magicians Ring meeting one night in New Orleans.

Jon was "impressed" because I didn't say, "Here I have a red silk which I will shove into my fist, and it will disappear before your very eyes!"

In 1975, old friend, J.B. Bobo and I were visiting, and, J.B. showed me his routine with a TT and silk. I had been on the road with my school show, and, hadn't seen the new Vernets. I developed a 'handling' for it, and used it all the following season. It played well, and, I 'blame' J.B.!

O
haha yeah, ive been forced into an early retirement, but I need to keep my mind active and magic is a big outlet for me. Even though I'm no pro, just a humble hobbyist, I love it, I mean REALLY love it Smile I also love history not just magic history, but all history, the old ways shouldnt be forgotten.

Yes sometimes the best magic is the magic that happens when your not expecting it. Catch them unaware and blow their mind. Im enjoying your posts, thanks Smile
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
It is hard not to enjoy Dick Oslunds posts!
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:

If you were going to do a cigarette vanish (and I guess that's about the only kind of cig effect a person could do nowadays), maybe a bit of wet sponge jammed way down into the end of a plastic tip would help?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Metal TT's? (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL