The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Ashrah in stevens (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Anyone purchased the ashrah from stevens?
Seems that the price is very good.
Is the back scene included(the one in the photo)?
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Back scene not included. Illusion is worth it, but this thing can't be performed "just anywhere." You need a backdrop or curtain or wing close by.

I had two complaints.

1) A belt gaff is included to allow "no hands on" floating. This worked much more poorly for me in real-life than it did in the (short) included instruction video. The you-know-what's handles started bending way out of shape when I tried to use the illusion this way.

2) To get into correct position with absolutely no "wobbling" of the you-know-what you have to take a firm grasp of the covering cloth and underlying you-know-what with your teeth. Audience can't see this, but grabbing a mouthful of cloth and wires is unappetizing, to say the least.

These problems and reservations nothwithstanding I'd say you get your money's worth with this thing.
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Thanks for your review!
Any more thoughts about this illusion from anyone else?
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
Hmmm.
I got the portable asrah (I'm assuming that this is the one you're talking about) from Stevens. It was aroung $800 at the time.

I agree with santleconjuror about the belt gaff assessment. Then again, I'm a tall, fat guy and usually these gaffs are made for small, skinny folk. I never have used the belt gaff.

But, I have no idea what this teeth stuff is all about.

I had no problem with this asrah and have used it a number of times. My only beef was with the locking mechanism of the "you-know-what". The metal was very thin and the post off center enough that it broke very quickly. I had to take this to a metal expert friend who fashioned me a new locking mechanism with a curved slit for the locking post. His design is far superior to the poor job that was done originally here.

As for the rest of the effect, I felt that the supplied foulard was way too small. I ended up going to my fabric store and buying several different sparkly lamees (lamays?) - well glittery, light, non-see through cloth that was just heavy enough for the effect. I increased the size of the foulard by about 1/3. This works great.

Another really cool feature is that when you are controlling the asrah with both hands, you can also make the feet move. Boy does this strengthen the illusion. It looks like your assistant is flexing their feet under the foulard.

I start on stage with a floating card box. I mention that this is cool, but the effect would be way cooler if it was done with something larger. I then pull my wife (or daughter) out of the audience and bring them up to the stage. I hypnotize her and put the foulard over her. She begins to float up, and I float her down from the stage right into the audience. She floats all over the place, and at one point wiggles her feet. Then as the music crescendo's, poof, the foulard collapses and my hands are empty. I then build a box from separate panels down in the audiences midst. I bring the box to the stage, throw another foulard over it, pick fire from the air and throw the fireballs into the box. At the final crescendo of my music, the foulard suddenly starts to rise, I pull it away and there she is - completely restored.

This is my closer effect.

I recommend the Stevens portable asrah highly.

-Dave

(P.S. First time I did this, my mother-in-law was there to make sure I brought my wife back after vanishing her!)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
How can anything be worth the price if it bends and breaks. Then you have to find a tool and die maker to repair and improve the mechanism.

Selling something that is not usable apon receipt is not a good product.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Anyway,thanks.I think at the end I will save my money...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Ashrah in stevens (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL