The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball Production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JDP
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of JDP
Good evening all. I'm trying to find the source for a billiard ball production that I've only seen once on TV that was performed by Brett Daniels years ago. It's basically having a single ball in between your index and middle finger, then after briefly covering the hand with the other, four billiard balls appear. Has anyone seen it performed or knows a source that explains it, The production looks absolutely beautiful, but I've never been able to find a source to explain the real technique. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This has been discussed extensively in this forum. It is the creation of Shimada, it is shown on the Greater Magic video Catalog from Stevens Magic. Shimada manipulation DVD.
It is explained a little more on the Shimada lecture 1998 video on video tape.

Brett Daniels was performing Shimada's method, and does require extensive practice.

It is more recently been explained by Born Manipulation DVD, lightly different, and executed very quickly.

The lecture video tape is no longer on the market, you might contact Denny at Denny Magic to see if he can get a copy or contact Diana Shimada directly to see if she can sell you a copy.

You can search this section to find more details on this discussion, or just get the Stevens Magic DVD, the explanation is not extensive on this, but may be enough for you being you have figured out the other moves.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Brett Daniels performance can be seen HERE.

The technique taught on the Shimada DVD is very similar although not exactly the same, the difference being that one of the two balls in the left hand is visible. It is a two to four and can be seen HERE.
JDP
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of JDP
Thank you both very much. It's very much appreciated. I'm going to look into those DVDs and see if I can get going with it. I've been practicing the method that I've imagined up in my head. All I'm really hoping for is the Steven's DVD and/or lecture will have some tips for executing the move. Thank you again!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Brad, check out the routine on the Greater Magic video. You have referenced the wrong move we are discussing.

It is Shimada's, or check out his video tape lecture.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

JDP, the Steven's DVD is not an instructional video, he shows his act, then the interviewer just ask Shimada to show some of his material. Shimada, has not mastered the English language, so he just shows it 2 or 3 times very quickly.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=10

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......07633#18
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Bill, at your suggestion I just watched the Greater Magic video and also the Shimada 1998 Lecture video. The exact technique used by Daniels is nowhere to be seen.

The closest thing to it is the sequence to which I referenced.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The technique used by Daniels is more like Shimada's 2 to 8, although he only does 4 in one hand and the fourth ball comes from a different location.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Shimada's 1 to 4 and consequently his 2 to 8 sequence is a double shell technique. The Brett Daniels 1 to 4 sequence uses a single shell.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Simada's handling was written up with full explanation in Genii Magazine (along with several of his other effects ) in a special issue.. Sometime in the 1980's.
Sorry, I can't narrow it down any more than that!
But someone else can probably help you here on the Forum.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2016, Brad Jeffers wrote:
Bill, at your suggestion I just watched the Greater Magic video and also the Shimada 1998 Lecture video. The exact technique used by Daniels is nowhere to be seen.

The closest thing to it is the sequence to which I referenced.

This was all discussed 6 years ago, I did extensive research at the time, and commented on it. I have listed the references I went back and found, I know there is at least another one that is even longer then the ones I posted above.

Shimada does this so fast, that if you blink you miss it, and that is why I said, "If you study the videos ...", of course everyone wants it handed to them on a silver platter, but I am not going to do that.

Also, it does not matter how many shells are involved, we are talking about loading 2 solid balls. The number of shells has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

I do believe back in 2010, I found that Brett Daniels' was doing Shimada's BB routine.

Brett Daniels also does Shimada's dove production behind a fan of cards in his award winning SAM convention act.

Just to clear things up, Shimada, does 1, 2, and 3 shell routines, way before any of this being done by anyone else, back in the 1950's.

As JNeal posted, Shimada's BB routine is published in Genii Magazine along with his Cane appearance from knotted silk.

Nothing Brett Daniels does is original to him, I seen him a couple times live at magic conventions. He is very good and works very hard to perfect his skill. Probably the best manipulator and dove magician around today.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2016, Brad Jeffers wrote:
Shimada's 1 to 4 and consequently his 2 to 8 sequence is a double shell technique. The Brett Daniels 1 to 4 sequence uses a single shell.

Sending you a PM.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
MagicalAlex
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of MagicalAlex
Wow this is strong!
Bodgit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Bodgit
Farrell Dillon performs the 1 to 4 extremely well in his routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJMoFd3nTv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgtVmkO3fco

He states "The Chavez Course" as source.

Obviously load location is different from Brett Daniels' version.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2016, Brad Jeffers wrote:
Brett Daniels performance can be seenHERE.

The technique taught on the Shimada DVD is very similar although not exactly the same, the difference being that one of the two balls in the left hand is visible. It is a two to four and can be seenHERE.

Brad, you are absolutely correct.

After thinking it over, I am totally incorrect.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SexETZ0rl5Y

Jordan Gomez does a 1-4 beginning at about 0:47. It happens very fast, almost too fast in my opinion. But, for all I can tell, he is using 4 solid balls.

More than one way to skin a cat...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am sure there are a lot of 1 to 4 ball productions today, because of all the information that has been provided in the last 6 years or so.

Shamada, Brett Daniels, was doing it back in the early 1980's and Shimada back in the 1950's.

Thanks to Bond Lee, it has come out of the "underground", and everyone interested can now work on it if they are willing to put the time and effort into it.

I agree, Jordon Gomez is very fast, that means he practices a lot to do it so well. That is his performance style though, he has La Grand video of his act on YouTube. When he mentioned his DVDs here on The Café, I did not know he was so talented.

I think he even offers his balls for sale on his French website. I don't believe he sells them with any shells. He suggest you make your own if you want shells.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Billiard Ball Production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL