The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup designs (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1721 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I'm looking at cups. (Not ready to buy, just window shopping.). The ones that have the most aesthetic appeal to me are the Monte and the Johnny Paul designs. Both of these are tapered designs. Is there a disadvantage to them? What about the load?
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
It all depends on what you want to do with them. JP cups are designed for a specific type of handling and a different ball. Monti cups are very nice and possibly the most copied cup style out there. aesthetics are one thing, thinking about the routine you want to do, what you want from the cups and handling is another aspect you might want to consider.

The advantage of a tapered cup is that it displays the final load better (higher and exaggerates the size.) The disadvantage is that it can limit some of the moves you may want to perform (or at the least make them a little more work to do.) Again, it depends what you personally want from the cups.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1721 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2016, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
It all depends on what you want to do with them. JP cups are designed for a specific type of handling and a different ball. Monti cups are very nice and possibly the most copied cup style out there. aesthetics are one thing, thinking about the routine you want to do, what you want from the cups and handling is another aspect you might want to consider.

The advantage of a tapered cup is that it displays the final load better (higher and exaggerates the size.) The disadvantage is that it can limit some of the moves you may want to perform (or at the least make them a little more work to do.) Again, it depends what you personally want from the cups.

The fact is that I don't really know what I want to do with them. In my mind they are a very flexible piece of magic equipment that adapts themselves to all kinds of routines, all kinds of situations.
Unfortunately, I don't know the right questions to ask that would lead to a rational conclusion on my part. I can't even figure out why I'm suddenly so interested in them, except that I made a list of the magic that fascinated me from the time t first saw it performed, (mostly on the Ed Sullivan Show), along with some other things that have played with my mind, and I would like to learn those that are within my reach. Darned bucket list again.
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
Jake,
Please take this with a grain of salt because I too am an amateur. Here is what I would do in retrospect. Buy a good set of videos first. I would recommend Ammar's cups and balls volumes 1 and 2. You can start out with plastic cups and Ammar even has a routine with tea cups to get you started. Play around with some different glasses or cups around your house and see what size of cup makes the moves easiest. There are a couple of moves that you will do a lot. When you find a set that makes the moves easiest then go to RNT2 website and find a set of cups that closely match the dimensions. Donnie has all of the dimensions of the cups on his website. Please let us know how it works out for you even if you don't take my amateur advise:)
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

^ Harry talks a great deal of sense Jake Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1721 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thank you guys for the advise. I do have a very old set of cups to work with. A magician passed away about 50 years ago, and this along with other things was given to me. The cups will be fine to learn on. They don't have much weight, but by the time I learn to use them, I should know what direction I want to go.
There really aren't many pieces of equipment that we use that are as personal as the cups. It's like owning a fine musical instrument.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1453 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I second Ammars videos
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

You should also peruse the cups and balls museum, that will help greatly. Mr Palmer will arrange a password if you're not already sorted. Be warned though... you'll have to set aside a few days!
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
888 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
As someone who got the cups and balls bug and did lots of blind exploring, I'll echo that you've been given the best advice in the posts above. If you already have a set of cups, even better -- don't worry about weight, choice of metal, etc. at first. Just play with the moves. Whichever style of cup you have (JP or PF) you can find a cheap set of the other design on eBay if you want to do some hands-on comparison. Have a good time. David
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jake:

The Monti cups are not a tapered cup. They are a rounded top cup. It's a subtle rounding, similar to a Paul Fox cup. The Johnny Paul cup is a tapered cup. Check the cups and balls museum.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1454 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Jake, another learning tool is the Stevens Teach-In on cps and balls.
Johnny Paul is on there performing and teaching his routine.
"But there isn't a door"
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2103 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Bill,
if you get a chance could you call me? I have a question for you.

Thanks,
Mad Jake Sr.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I always loved the Paul Fox cups and I bought 2 sets from Danny Dew around 1965. But the set I have used for the last decade are imitation Fox cups in heavy, very aged copper. I have always kept in mind that the Fox shape in shiny, polished chrome looks, to the lay public, like a cheap thermos bottle cap. The age and material can off-set that thought. I wish I had a set of Bertram cups, but I missed out back when they were inexpensive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup designs (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL