We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Your choice of cards for a Ten card poker deal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagieByAntony
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of MagieByAntony
What cards do you choose for this effect? High or low? Do you have a prefered Jonah card? Do you think that a certain combination of cards arouses more/less suspicion than another?

I personally use 3 kings, 3 queens, 3 Tens and a black jack for the extra card. Thoughts?

Cheers!
".... He has become a past master in his profession. He can laugh at luck and defy the law of chance. His fortune is literally at his finger ends....."
~S.W. Erdnase
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
I use to do the Blessed Poker by Woody Aragon, which is a three-phase routine starting with 20 cards, and the final phase is with 10 cards.

My patter is related to "I will select high cards for the demo/effect in order to guarantee eye-catching combinations".

FYI, the final Jonah card is AS
So much to do, so little time . . .
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Alicauchy, where is Blessed Poker published?
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Woody's book, "A Book In English"
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I use the same cards as suggested by Harry Lorayne and later Darwin Ortiz.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2016, magicthree wrote:
Woody's book, "A Book In English"

Sorry for disappearing. Now back from an intense week of work and almost no magic.

Yes, and also in some of his other books in spanish (just in case).
So much to do, so little time . . .
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
724 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
3 kings, 3 deuces, 3 tens and. Queen of clubs
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Bob Farmer's book has a nice dissertation on this.
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
Michael Weber's "TEN" is phenomenal, it has 10 completely different effects...
valiquid
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of valiquid
I'll make it a variety of high value cards depending on what I'm feeling, and the spades, hearts, and diamonds for optimal visual appeal. Then I use an ace as the Jonah card, which makes them much more likely to take it when I allow them to peek before taking. This makes it slightly more likely that they'll realize what happens to whoever ends up with that card since the ace stands out more, but after countless goes this has never happened, and they take the ace about 95% of the time on peeking as long as it's the first or second round. If they don't I just mix up the cards and have them choose blindly.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Because I use a half stack a lot I use a set from the second half (the mixed half) of the Tamariz stack so I use the three tens from this half H, S, D the three Jacks D, S, C the three Aces H, C, D and the King of Spades as the Johna because he blends in well with the Jacks.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
I started using the three phase one from Woody "Blessed Poker" (thanks magicthree and alicauchy). I uses 18 cards (not 20)... and you have some control on the three sets on the first two phases, but not the stranger (pretty much random due to some shuffling)... and in the third phase the Ace of Space is the stranger. It is a very nice routine where the spectator gets more and more choices as it advances, so each phase seems more fair than the previous one, but he still looses every time.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
What is the thinking behind the cards chosen? Visual appeal? Contrast? Am I missing something in just going for a mix of court and number, black and red?
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
In Woody Aragon routine the first phase is a normal face down deal of 10 cards (2 hands of 5), but in the second part the spectator is given the chance of changing cards (first face down, then face up), in the third phase (last) the spectator chooses the cards he wants... so a little of psychology is used to ensure they get the stranger every time.
NotThatLarson
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of NotThatLarson
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, marc_carrion wrote:
In Woody Aragon routine the first phase is a normal face down deal of 10 cards (2 hands of 5), but in the second part the spectator is given the chance of changing cards (first face down, then face up), in the third phase (last) the spectator chooses the cards he wants... so a little of psychology is used to ensure they get the stranger every time.

He's such a clever guy. I'm not surprised.
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
Ben Blau has another version where the cards are selected 'randomly' by the spectator and the magician from a full deck. I have not performed it yet, but it seems an interesting idea. It makes it look more fair than separating 10 cards from the beginning.
supertoad12
View Profile
New user
Choose a number between 1 and
88 Posts

Profile of supertoad12
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2016, Vlad_77 wrote:
I use the same cards as suggested by Harry Lorayne and later Darwin Ortiz.

Same as Vlad for me.
Steph

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it"...J.M. Barrie
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, Terrible Wizard wrote:
What is the thinking behind the cards chosen? Visual appeal? Contrast? Am I missing something in just going for a mix of court and number, black and red?

Landmark answered this question before it was even asked Smile

Quote:
On Mar 7, 2016, landmark wrote:
Bob Farmer's book has a nice dissertation on this.

The Bammo Ten Card Deal Dossier by Bob Farmer had a section starting on pg 19 (I believe) that dealt with several variations ie the Lorayne set (also used by Hartman, Ortiz and many others) He then goes into the thinking behind every card in the set (Or not in) and why. Then there are some scientific statistics as to what cards are commonly picked first when asked to name a card, visualize a card, remember a card even cards people "like better". He also explores 2 other stacks (science 1 and science 2) based on the research. I found this to be one of the most interesting chapters of the book.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Your choice of cards for a Ten card poker deal? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL