The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Looking for decent torn and restored bill effect (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
I need a little help. I am adding to my close up routine and I want to include some dollar bill effects.
I know there are a lot of dollar bill effects out there, but my memory isn't what it once was so I could use some help with the names of torn and restored dollar bill tricks including the inventors.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Mike the Magician
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Patrick Snowden is the only Torn and Restored Bill that was ever any good, long off the market. Came with nice fake gimmicks.

There was another, no creator given, somewhat like Snowden's, was out before Snowden's. Again, have not seen it on the market for years.

Jim Ryan had a good one, did not care for it that much. Was in one of his books. Long off the market.

Just checked, looks like they put a few of his Ryan's tricks in a new booklet, but being the author Philip R. Willmarth is no longer with us, there will not be a any further volumes. The Bill Tear is in Vol. 1, get it here: http://www.magicinc.net/jimryanclose-ups......rth.aspx

All the above was out about 40 years ago. Have not heard of any more recently.

I have not heard of any T&R Bill tricks more recently, maybe someone will post something more recent.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have this.
Berland's
IMPROVED TORN & RESTORED BILL

EFFECT: A bill is borrowed and marked by the owner in any way he wishes. Magician takes the bill and proceeds to tear it into small pieces. The tearing is done slowly and unmistakedly. No quick and make believe and the pieces are shown separately. Now slowly and magically the pieces are opened out and the bill is found to be completely restored. The hands are perfectly empty and it is the same marked bill.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Also I have this,
VINTAGE SAM BERLAND'S CUTTING BORROWED BILL IN HALF

Berland's biltrix. Series no. 2.

A Dollar bill is borrowed and marked. An envelope is shown perfectly empty, and the four corners are cut away. The bill is placed in the envelope exposing the four corners of the bill.
Taking a scissors magician cuts both the dollar and the envelope completely in half. Halves are separated proving the bill is really cut....not an optical illusion. The severed halves are brought together and the bill removed "WHOLE"...none the worse for the experience !!
Works with any bill.
This is a manuscript only everything needed is explained how to make.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I contributed a torn and restored bill effect to Harry Lorayne’s Apocalypse and it appears in the August 1990 issue on page 1817.
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Thank you for the responses.
Much appreciated gentlemen.

It appears Sam Berland's stuff is a bit hard to find these days.

I will look into Patrick Snowden as Bill mentioned
Mike the Magician
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2016, virtualwizard wrote:
Thank you for the responses.
Much appreciated gentlemen.

It appears Sam Berland's stuff is a bit hard to find these days.

I will look into Patrick Snowden as Bill mentioned

What do you mean hard to find, I have the two I mentioned.
Rennie
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Rennie,

You may have it, but for me to purchase it--Sam Berland's booklets are pretty rare.
Patrick Snowden's bill tear is nearly impossible to find.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, are you offering them to me?
Mike the Magician
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Yes I am at a very good price if you want them. Both for $10.00 including shipping in the U.S.
Rennie
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wizard, I found the ones I mentioned. About the only thing I can do for you is supply one sample gimmick and you can try to print them or take them to a print store, and see if you can get some printed and cut.

I am sorry, I got the one reference wrong, it was manufactured and sold by Patrick Martin. It was called "RRIPPED-UP!"

The other on is called "Seeing Is Believing" Bill Tear. I purchased this one from Guaranteed Magic, the owner is Bob Little. Don't know if he made them or just was a dealer that hand them.

I suggest you call Bob at: 215-672-3344 to see if he still has any "Seeing Is Believing" tricks available. He does not do email the last time I looked.

Both these tricks are from the 1970's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I just found "Seeing I Believing" is published in Jerry Mentzer book Close Up Cavalcade Finale. That is probably why the sold separately version had no credit on it.

http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/wp/wpc......mentzer/

Comments: Another great book in Jerry's Close-Up Cavalcade series. This one is still in print (as of Sep 2007) and available from Magic Methods. Includes some good salt & coin routines, a couple of Single Cup & Ball routines, and more. You're likely to find several items you'll use!

Contents:

1 Introduction

3 Chapter 1: Salt and Shakers
5 Salt Routine: Salt vanishes and appears inside a pen (TT)
8 Salt and Sugar: sugar packet and salt shaker vanish from the hands (impromptu)
12 Ring Into Salt Shaker (Jerry Mentzer): borrowed finger ring vanishes and appears in a sealed salt shaker. Originally a commercial item.
16 Impromptu Ring Into Salt Shaker (Mentzer): another version using an ungimmicked salt shaker

21 Chapter 2: Coins
23 Elbow Swindle (Roger Klause): during a stunt of catching coins from the elbow, they vanish
30 Copper Silver Transposition (Steve Dusheck): forerunner of Steve's Slippery Sam
36 An Illusive Coin Switch (A. Berkeley Davis): switch while transferring a coin from one hand to another.
40 The Vanishing Chinatown (A. Berkeley Davis): a routine for the Chinatown set and using a mat
42 Jumbo Cards and Coins (Ray Mertz): a sort of "cups and balls" routine using Jumbo playing cards and coins
50 You Caught Me: 21 cents turns into 21 pennies (requires 21 cent gimmick)
54 Jumbo Coin Routine (Dan Tong): A US penny changes into a silver dollar, and the dollar the spectator was holding turns into a dollar sized penny. Then the penny grows to jumbo size, and then reverts back to normal.
58 Harry Milliken's Transposition: Two quarters are placed in one hand, and two halves in the other. With one squeeze, one quarter and half transpose. With a 2nd squeeze, the other quarter and half transpose (originally published in Wonderful Routines of Magic by Ellison Poland).

65 Chapter 3: Mental and Psychic
67 Psychic Power: ball of foil in a sealed bottle moves mysteriously
70 Double Mental Test (Jerry Mentzer): One of four coins is chosen and a number selected by choosing two playing cards is predicted by the contents of a wallet that has been in view for the entire effect (originally from Feb 71 Linking Ring)
76 Wrapped in Foil: performer determines which symbols are at the face of small packets of cards wrapped in foil

81 Chapter 4: Misc
83 Matchless (Warren Stephens): an empty matchbook is shown and matches suddenly appear
89 Dice Trick (Warren Stephens): The number rolled on a small die matches a large die covered with the hand, then the large die vanishes
93 Credit Cards: a variation of Bert Allerton's Crazy Cards performed with gimmicked credit cards
97 Paper Strip Restores (Jerry Mentzer): torn and restored paper strip with flash paper
103 Impromptu Three Ball Routine (Jerry Mentzer): done with three small paper balls, can be performed anywhere
110 Coin and Cord (Steve Dusheck): a Chinese coin "melts" off a velvet cord (you can make the gimmick)

119 Chapter 5: Cups, Cans, Containers
121 Cup and Ball Trio (Barry Govan): a one cup and balls routine using a dice cup (ungimmicked)
131 Three Shell Game (John Murray): a basic three shell routine with explanation of how to make the shells, and a recommendation for Jack Chanin's Hello Sucker book.
139 Beer Can Routine: another one cup and ball routine using a beer can, rolled up dollar bills, and features large load climax

145 Chapter 6: Paper Money
147 Borrowed Bill and Pen (Warren Stephens): a borrowed bill is accidentally burned and is found inside a pen held by the spectator
156 A Simple Copper-Silver Routine: a simple coin transposition trick in order to use a dollar bill for the above effect
158 Seeing is Believing Bill Tear: a convincing torn and restored borrowed bill. The spectator gets to unfold the torn bill and finds it whole. Several alternative approaches are suggested.
169 No Gaff Bill Tear: impromptu torn and restored bill with a single bill
173 The Seven Dollar Trick (Duke Stern): a five and two ones turns into three ones that are shown on both sides
181 Bill Antics (Dan Tong): two bills are folded in various manners and both bills are shown in one hand, suddenly one bill vanishes and there is one bill in each hand
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Seeing is Believing was made and sold by Don Wilson. Bob Little was a dealer. Only problem is the bills are old style. I currently have quite a few brand new $1.00 for Seeing. Ripped up by Patrick Martin is very similar.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is another Torn and Restored Bill effect in an old book by Lewis Ganson called, "A Magician Explains", published by Harry Stanley Unique Magic Studio in London. The book is a second publication of material left out of Routined Manipulation books. This booklet only has 3 tricks in it, but the T&R is very good. It is Cy Endfield's "Torn and Restored Treasury Note".

It is so good, Daryl was doing it in his lecture tour.

Supreme Magic took over the Harry Stanley books when they went out of business. I am sure you could find this booklet on the 2nd hand book market.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2016, Rennie wrote:
Seeing is Believing was made and sold by Don Wilson. Bob Little was a dealer. Only problem is the bills are old style. I currently have quite a few brand new $1.00 for Seeing. Ripped up by Patrick Martin is very similar.

I don't understand by your comment, "the bills are old style". The bills match the back of a one dollar bill exactly. I have new bills I just got from the bank. I see no difference. If your gimmicks are not one dollar bills, then you do not have the correct gimmicks.
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Thanks Bill and thank you Rennie

Rennie I sent you a pm.

I will be busy looking into all of this!
Mike the Magician
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2016, Rennie wrote:

I don't understand by your comment, "the bills are old style". The bills match the back of a one dollar bill exactly. I have new bills I just got from the bank. I see no difference. If your gimmicks are not one dollar bills, then you do not have the correct gimmicks.

Bill,
I do have the correct gimmicks, but I was under the impression the new one dollar bills were different, maybe not.
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Rennie,

I received the pamphlets and have been reading through them

Thank you for your kindness.

Mike
(Wizard)
Mike the Magician
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Just to update everyone ..I came across the book Switch by Jon Lovick and I have it on order.
Although my request was around T & R bill effects --it appears that this book covers a lot of bill switches and torn and restored effects.

FYI here is ad copy
SWITCH includes:

The original handling of the $100 Bill Switch - as performed by the inventor - described for the very first time.
More than twenty variations - some use a thumbtip and others don't, some use fewer folds, and one uses no folds at all!
Instantaneous changes, multiple switches, palm-up handlings, a one-handed change, bill productions & vanishes, visual transformations, and more.
Sleights, subtleties, utility moves, performance theory, presentation ideas, etc.
More than 60 close-up and stand-up routines, each described in meticulous detail with over 700 illustrations. The routines include Transpositions, Bill-to-Impossible-Location plots, Torn & Restored effects, and several routines that don't even involve money.
CONTRIBUTORS INCLUDE:
David Acer -- Jon Allen -- Michael Ammar
Danny Archer -- Gaetan Bloom -- Marc DeSouza
Dan Garrett -- Bill Goldman -- Dave Gripenwaldt
David Harkey -- Richard Hatch -- Roger Klause
Mike Kozlowski -- Gary Kurtz -- Bill Malone
Jay Marshall -- Max Maven -- Steve Mayhew
Robert E. Neale -- Andrew J. Pinard -- David Regal
Marvyn Roy -- Richard Sanders -- Jay Sankey
Jim Sisti -- Jamy Ian Swiss -- Vladimir Vladimirov
Michael Weber -- Gregory Wilson -- Scotty York
Mike the Magician
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Switch is a marvelous book with tons of good material. It is much more than just a book on bill switches. You chose wisely.
My personal contribution is an offbeat torn and restored bill routine called "Torn and Quartered." Enjoy. -- Dan Garrett
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
virtualwizard
View Profile
Regular user
Bailey Island, Maine
167 Posts

Profile of virtualwizard
Thanks Dan

I have been reading the book, what a work of art!
I will certainly take a look at your contribution.
Mike the Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Looking for decent torn and restored bill effect (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL