The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best modern day mentalism books? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Mysterious Mike
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
258 Posts

Profile of Mysterious Mike
What are some of the best modern day mentalism books? Times are a-changing. I have the classics (Anneman, etc), but what's some of the best reading for today's audiences?
The performance is what really makes it all worth while.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1249 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2: Fundamentals.

Don't worry about the "Vol 2" bit. He's just bad at titles. He's masterful at everything else.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1573 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Anything by Barrie Richardson.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2055 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties 1" is a must-read
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Mitox
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1053 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
1. Unreal 2. Bairn
Lakewood, Ohio
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3285 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
In addition to those mentioned

When in Rome - Pete Turner
A Piece of My Mind - Michael Murray
The Black Project - Looch
Olivia - Myke Phillips

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ricky Atkinson
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Ricky Atkinson
I can second Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties 1" and Michael Murray's "A Piece of My Mind". Both are fantastic.

I have looked very eagerly at Ken Dyne's "Bairn" but haven't had chance to read it yet. Also, everything I've seen from Bob Cassidy has been quality, so I have high hopes for "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2". Both are on my "hope to own soon" list.
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
424 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Chuck Hickok's "Mentalism Inc."
Ashton
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ashton
Reading Unreal by Bruce Bernstein, learning a lot and really enjoying it.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2016, mrmysticmike wrote:
Chuck Hickok's "Mentalism Inc."

I agree... both volumes are full of great ideas.
Karli
View Profile
New user
Estonia
71 Posts

Profile of Karli
Mark Elsdon - mentalism reveals. Hard to get, but I so often come back to that, it really changed the way I compose my act.

Richard Osterlind - principles of magic. Again no tricks, but I feel this is a must have book for many mentalists.

Phil Smith - mokele, mitox, yokai. Some good performance pieces in these, but the true value is the thinking behind the ideas and principles.

Michael Murray - a piece of my mind. Must be life's work from a genius. Highly recommended

Others to mention: Bob Cassidy books, Ken Webers maximum entertainment, Peter Turner books (if you can get hold of one!)
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I adore the work of Sean Waters.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9220 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2016, Mysterious Mike wrote:
What are some of the best modern day mentalism books? Times are a-changing. I have the classics (Anneman, etc), but what's some of the best reading for today's audiences?

What type/style of mentalism are you interested in?
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Elite user
In Your Thots
443 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
All of Richard Osterlind books,
A lifetime of Magic by Charles Gauci,
Unreal by Bruce Bernstein,
Works of Jack Kent Tillar,
And I feel Penguin Lectures are a good introduction to a magic creators works, before diving into their books.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
The Urban Entity
View Profile
New user
Itta Bena, MS
91 Posts

Profile of The Urban Entity
I wouldn't classify Anneman's stuff as old. Maybe to some, but not to me. Modern to me is stuff that's accessible within my time-frame.Until Anneman's stuff becomes very hard to come by, I wouldn't label it as old. Many modern performers use Anneman's stuff, even just with a few tweaks. But based on your definition of old and Modern I would say to me:

Old: Telepathy in Action by Orville Meyer

Modern: True Mysteries 1 and 2 by Fraser Parker
WATCH AWESOME HYPNOSIS VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/user/taylormade85/example?sub_confirmation=1

"Pushing The Boundaries of What is Possible With Hypnosis"
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3737 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Principals of Mentalism by Osterlind
Fundamentals 2 by Cassidy
Mentalism Inc by Hickok
Psychological Subtleties by Banachek
Divine by McLeod
Unreal by Bernstien
Practical Mental Effects by Annemann
Naked Mentalism by Thompson
Psychometry from A to Z by Webster
13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda
The Perfected Center Tear by Osterlind

The amazing thing is that the price of all these books combined -- which constitute a complete course in mentalism principals, concepts, presentations and routines -- cost less than any two of my university Journalism textbooks.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
mikelsc
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of mikelsc
Another vote for Cassidy and Osterlind books. And may I suggest Andy Nyman's work since I just love him so much.
Elliot Marx
View Profile
New user
Australia
70 Posts

Profile of Elliot Marx
I have to ask (and apologise for being facetious) but do you really want your audiences to be reading mentalism material, modern or otherwise? 😉
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1509 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Scryer and Friends which some are calling The new Practical Mental Effects (PME) for the 21st century myself included and I will add its better that PME as its more uptdate with its effects for a modern auence. (Some of you will know PME under the its newer title Practical Mental Magic).

The main reason this book is so great is in part to those who contributed to the book and who gave some of their best materiel to its creation. This single book contains masterpieces of mentalism and its related arts from working pro after working pro with a few contributions from some very talented armature performers as well who's thinking is simply brilliant.

Contains works from Jerome Finley, Ted Karmilovich, Mark Salem, Docc Hilford, Ron Chavis, Bob Casssidy (Dr. Crow), Paul Shirley, Paul Carnazzo, Esmeralda “Gypsy,” Joshua Quinn, Craig Filicetti, S.E. Rivkin, Doug Dyment, Misaki Gabrielli, Jonathan Stravinsky, Toni Iacoviello, Richard Mark, Aroldo Lattarulo, Clairaudio, EXP, Joseph Curcillo, Richard Webster, Father Anthony, Abha, Dan (Evil Dan) Terelmes, Prince Thebs, Colleen Terelmes, Rich Hennessey, Neal Rider, Roy Shubert, Sal Franchino, Rick Roth, Bob Killian, Nick Belleas, Allen Zingg, Mauricio Jaramillo, Bobby Torkova, Greg Edmonds, David Thiel, Witch Doctor, Charles Garner, Patrick Redford, Daniele Nigris, Anthony Jacquin, Kev Sheldrake, Ken Dyne, Luca Volpe, Walter Davis, Sebastian Black, Jon Stetson, Looch, Scott Grossberg, Raj Madhok, Alexander Thomas, Paul Romhany, TC Tahoe, Thomas Heine & Rainer Mees (ParaLabs), Alexandre, Mota, Nefesch, Meraux Dantes, Darrell Mac, Max Maven, Ross Johnson, Colin McLeod, Paul Voodini, Banachek, Alain Nu, Pablo Amira, W. M. Barclay, Alexander Nelson, Bill Montana, Christopher Taylor, John Riggs, Michael Weber, Tony Razzano, Rudy Hunter, Iain Dunford, Carlos Emesqua, Owen Darque, Juan David Arbelaez, Joe Zabel, Sibyl, H. Arcana.

And its over 600 pages.

Really a monumental work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best modern day mentalism books? (45 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL