The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best modern day mentalism books? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Dr. JK
View Profile
Special user
Greenville, South Carolina
911 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Quote:
On May 28, 2016, mtgoldstein wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2016, Ben Blau wrote:
Check out the brilliant work of Sean Waters. His material is fantastic, and I consider him to be the best writer in the genre.

So Ben. It's hard to,tell - where a good starting point would be with Waters works?

You could always check out his contribution to Switchcraft, which is one of the best values around. It's a decent primer of his work, I believe.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.psychiccpa.com
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
"Tres" ;-)

-Vlad
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On May 28, 2016, mtgoldstein wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2016, Ben Blau wrote:
Check out the brilliant work of Sean Waters. His material is fantastic, and I consider him to be the best writer in the genre.

So Ben. It's hard to,tell - where a good starting point would be with Waters works?

I have read "CANVAS" and "PONDERINGS: A COLLECTION OF MENTAL IDEAS"

Both wonderful works. I highly recommend them.

Best,
Ever
I shall see you on the other side.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2479 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Switchcraft. Best $ you'll ever spend.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Quote:
On May 30, 2016, Jerskin wrote:
Switchcraft. Best $ you'll ever spend.

And you won't spend much...

Elliott is very generous offering his extensive work at such a low price.
I shall see you on the other side.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
318 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
I've had Switchcraft for so long I've not realized Waters contributions. I agree the best $ ever spent. I can't believe Mr Bressler can keep track of us all in his Continously updated supplements.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
318 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Bresler - sorry
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of backinblack
ParaLies by Joshua Quinn
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Thanks for the kind mention of my work, gentlemen. I am glad you enjoyed them.

And I agree with the comments about Switchcraft and ParaLies. Both are excellent works!!!

Best Regards,
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
dgcoates
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of dgcoates
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2016, Ricky Atkinson wrote:
So many good suggestions in this topic, I'd some how missed Scryer and Friends (I've been "out of the game" for a few years). After that write up by MentalistCreationLab and Mr Redford's post (Who also shouldn't go unmentioned when talking about modern mentalism! His work is in among my favorites) I'm very eager to find a copy of this book! There is ONE available close to me but I doubt I'll have the money together before it's gone Smile. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I agree that Patrick Redford is a great modern mentalist...however to simply call him a mentalist is not doing him justice....he is a theatrical mentalist. Simply calling him a mentalist is like calling Julia Child, Emeril and Gordon Ramsey a "cook"
Dennis George Coates
dgcoates
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of dgcoates
I would have to say that "Applesauce" by Patrick Redford is one of the best....his thinking is beyond brilliant. Of course, anything by Kenton Knepper and Steve Shaw
Dennis George Coates
SamNJ
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of SamNJ
Scryer's Black and White books. I believe they're now available in a combined edition.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17441 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Mind Myth and Magic is the best book hands down .. It's the New Testament of Mentalism .. 13 Steps is the Old.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Rainer - ParaLabs
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Rainer - ParaLabs
What does it mean "The best..."

You buy a book and the content makes you a millionaire?

Or does it mean that each routine provides you a orgasm?

I don't understand this question.

May be I'm a stupid potato eating German....but the superlative "best" is nothing than marketing!
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
I agree with Rainer. It would be helpful if OPs contained a definition of 'best'. It often seems to be the case that 'best' is highly subjective; what works for one may not work for others.
John
pancho247
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of pancho247
Just finished Paul brooks alchemist tools. Absolutely fantastic. Really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it.

Just about finished maximum entertainment by Ken Weber. Again, it was brilliant. Highly recommend both books.
Craig Logan
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
537 Posts

Profile of Craig Logan
If you're the kind of mentalist that enjoys the use of playing cards, two recommendations are at the top of my list. The first is another vote for "Applesauce" by Patrick Redford. It contains amazing effects, and I love performing them. The second book is "Asymptotes" by Ben Blau. His meticulous thinking behind each effect is refreshing, and the effects are hard hitting.

Oh, not sure if this counts, but anything by Barrie Richardson is also at the top of my list.

Cheers,
Craig
"A wizard is not to be made in a day." -Professor Hoffmann (Modern Magic)
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1641 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2016, Rainer - ParaLabs wrote:
What does it mean "The best..."

You buy a book and the content makes you a millionaire?

Or does it mean that each routine provides you a orgasm?

I don't understand this question.

May be I'm a stupid potato eating German....but the superlative "best" is nothing than marketing!

I read "best" as being a personal reccomendation.
No one here is marketing imo, just sharing works they found/find above and beyond.
And because of that, I have a few books to check out that, otherwise, I may have missed.

Either way, good thread Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2820 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I interpreted "best" as "favorite." With that out of the way, I had the pleasure of sampling some Applesauce prepared by the chef himself a couple of weeks ago. Patrick is indeed a genius and I was suitably schooled.

I haven't felt this well fooled in a long time. More than that, seeing these effects performed by Patrick was exceedingly entertaining and what he can achieve seemingly "off the cuff" surpasses many formal performances I've witnessed over the years. One of these days I'll have to read the book though I almost don't want to know the secrets of the miracles I witnessed.
casco1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of casco1
I can really suggest "A piece of my mind" by Michael Murray. I have recently bought this book and I can definitely say that is is strong modern material. I consider it a more solid version of Peter Turner works which is another perform that I really admire. Indeed, I would also suggest his own material, not only for the effects, which don't suit everybody, but especially for the thinking process behind them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best modern day mentalism books? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL