The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best modern day mentalism books? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
iramayami
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of iramayami
OSTERLIND any thing from him
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2184 Posts

Profile of dmoses
First of all, like Rainer I love potatoes.

Secondly, the best "modern" general introduction to mentalism can be found in "The Magic Digest" by George Anderson (circa 1978) and is available at Lybrary.com
Half of you who buy it will love me, half of you who buy it will love me even more.

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2016, dmoses wrote:
First of all, like Rainer I love potatoes.

Secondly, the best "modern" general introduction to mentalism can be found in "The Magic Digest" by George Anderson (circa 1978) and is available at Lybrary.com
Half of you who buy it will love me, half of you who buy it will love me even more.

d


This should help:

http://magicref.tripod.com/books/anderso......gest.htm

I'm in the love you even more category!
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2184 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Backatcha Sean!

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
59 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
I believe that understanding the power of suggestion (verbal and non-verbal), is an important part of mentalism performance. One of the books I really like on that subject is: Monsters and Magical Sticks.
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
Clinical/Sports Hypnosis - Golf, Other Sports, Performing Arts, Chronic Pain
Interests - Magic, Mentalism and the Bizarre
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Djin
As a newbie, I've been getting a lot out of anything and everything I can read from Banachek.

"Secrets of The Amazing Kreskin" was my first book about mentalism and I think it's an excellent beginners book and I'm looking forward to re reading it when I have put more time in and have some experience. "Beginners" books are probably probably even better when one isn't just beginning.
Mobius
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Mobius
I think Joshua Quinn is an excellent writer and I was truly inspired by his thinking in Paralies. I've had it for a few years and can re-read it endlessly. I have also recently picked up a job lot of Phill Smith's books and am slowly making my way through them. I enjoy his writing style, sense of humour and wonderful thinking. His work is in the same vein and I would also rate it as some of the best I've read but Paralies was the book that changed the way I approached mentalism.
January
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of January
Quote:
As a newbie, I've been getting a lot out of anything and everything I can read from Banachek.

x2. So many versatile principles in his volumes.
Escamoteur
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2016, January wrote:
Quote:
As a newbie, I've been getting a lot out of anything and everything I can read from Banachek.

x2. So many versatile principles in his volumes.



Indeed. His "doodle" recently got me out of a jam with flying colours when I was beset with a chronic case of Murphy's law. Never had the necessity to use it until now - invaluable.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1704 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Dmoses, I love that book! I bought a beat up copy used off of Amazon. The real bonus is that a previous owner was apparently a magician. He had made notes and sketches in the margins and it just adds so much to the real value of Magic Digest.

I'd like to see a little more about why people think something is great. I'm too prone to buying new things and trying to tone that down a bit. I want my money to go further, if possible.

With that in mind, here are my top picks and what I think is of value for me in each.

For a beginner's book, if he is willing to invest a bit of effort, Magic Digest offers several tricks that I have not seen elsewhere. For example, dowsing to find the owners of items in pseudo-psychometry was a real lightbulb for me the first time I read it. This is not a treatise on the esoteric and unknown in mentalism, but there's real material that could be used for a real show, as well as material that works impromptu. Very well worth getting this one. (Also has some magic tricks I've not seen elsewhere, including an almost-too-simple coin through glass.)

For stimulating thought, Mind, Myth, and Magick is loaded with ideas that range from the bizarre to the mundane and most of it will result in thinking differently. Not for new folks, really, but there is a lot of gold in this book and I will never sell mine.

Bob Cassidy's Artful Mentalism 1 and 2 contain what amounts to full acts, as well as good material on how to be a performer. There are lots of reviews of these books and I can't say any has been hype.

-Patrick
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1641 Posts

Profile of 252life
Hey folls,

A bit off topic..

Bob Cassidy is apparently in the hospital.
Another Café thread has more info.
(I'm on line at the bank, sorry for not being more specific)

I'd like to see him flooded with well wishes, love and "good thoughts".
He deserves it.

Thanks
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Mobius
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Mobius
Back on topic (sort of), but keeping Bob Cassidy firmly in our thoughts, check out "For Bob Cassidy".

http://forbobcassidy.blogspot.co.uk/
https://www.mindfx.co.uk/pages/support-for-bob-cassidy/

There are some brilliant effects in the book from the likes of Peter Turner, Manos, Luca Volpe, Ben Cardall, RedDevil, Pablo Amira, Michael Murray, Marc Salem, Alain Nu, Jan Forster, Greg Arce, Stuart Palm and Ken Dyne. A lot of these guys have been mentioned in this thread as some of the best authors of modern day mentalism.
At £24/$30 it's a bloody bargain. But here's the best bit: all proceeds go directly to Bob to help him during this difficult time.

I have no connection with any of this but I think it is such a wonderful gesture on the part of the mentalism community (especially Pablo Amira, who I believe put it together) that it deserves all the support it can get.

Thanks.

p.s I have just checked my email and found that there have been additional contributions since I received the first edition and these have been emailed out to me for free. I'm feeling the love!
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1641 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2016, Mobius wrote:
Back on topic (sort of), but keeping Bob Cassidy firmly in our thoughts, check out "For Bob Cassidy".

http://forbobcassidy.blogspot.co.uk/
https://www.mindfx.co.uk/pages/support-for-bob-cassidy/

There are some brilliant effects in the book from the likes of Peter Turner, Manos, Luca Volpe, Ben Cardall, RedDevil, Pablo Amira, Michael Murray, Marc Salem, Alain Nu, Jan Forster, Greg Arce, Stuart Palm and Ken Dyne. A lot of these guys have been mentioned in this thread as some of the best authors of modern day mentalism.
At £24/$30 it's a bloody bargain. But here's the best bit: all proceeds go directly to Bob to help him during this difficult time.

I have no connection with any of this but I think it is such a wonderful gesture on the part of the mentalism community (especially Pablo Amira, who I believe put it together) that it deserves all the support it can get.

Thanks.

p.s I have just checked my email and found that there have been additional contributions since I received the first edition and these have been emailed out to me for free. I'm feeling the love!


Good stuff, thx
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Are there not other threads on this?

I like many of those recommended but for something quite recent, might I draw attention to "Psychology for the Mentalist" by Andy Luttrell. I posted this on another thread as well. Apologies if this is duplication.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18256 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You're replying the last comment made on this thread that's two years old...
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
My apologies. Ran a search and this was the first one to come up.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3752 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Since the thread HAS been reopened...I have four books that I consider to be textbooks for the modern mentalist.

1) The Principals of Mentalism by Osterlind. Great pure thinking about mentalism and how modern audiences 'see' it and proven ways to present it. It's a little book. Read it four times.

2) The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2. Brilliant. Practical...covers a TON of ground. Read it at least three times. I really miss him.

3) Mentalism Incorporated by Chuck Hickok. While the effects are good, what is VERY good is his thinking about how to put a show together...how to order it...why mentalism is so very different from magic. This book -- and it's ideas -- blew away the magic think I retained and taught me a whole new way to see how I was presenting my work.

4) Unreal by Bruce Bernstien. This is my university text. I am constantly challenged by the material and essays presented in this book. It constantly hurts my brain in a good way.

Honorable mentions have to go to Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber, Psychological Subtlties by Banachek and Psychometry from A to Z by Webster.

When you've really studied these books, the works of Anneman and Corinda will make much more sense.

I hope this is helpful.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
I'll add Scott Creasy's Minimalistic, Metaphysical, Mentalism to the fray. It's great and I use it parts of it a lot.
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2018, David Thiel wrote:
Since the thread HAS been reopened...I have four books that I consider to be textbooks for the modern mentalist.

1) The Principals of Mentalism by Osterlind. Great pure thinking about mentalism and how modern audiences 'see' it and proven ways to present it. It's a little book. Read it four times.

2) The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Volume 2. Brilliant. Practical...covers a TON of ground. Read it at least three times. I really miss him.

3) Mentalism Incorporated by Chuck Hickok. While the effects are good, what is VERY good is his thinking about how to put a show together...how to order it...why mentalism is so very different from magic. This book -- and it's ideas -- blew away the magic think I retained and taught me a whole new way to see how I was presenting my work.

4) Unreal by Bruce Bernstien. This is my university text. I am constantly challenged by the material and essays presented in this book. It constantly hurts my brain in a good way.

Honorable mentions have to go to Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber, Psychological Subtlties by Banachek and Psychometry from A to Z by Webster.

When you've really studied these books, the works of Anneman and Corinda will make much more sense.

I hope this is helpful.

David


Hey,

I don't know why, but this post is the one in the thread that resonated with me the most. I have taken a very, very long break from magic/mentalism and I had only started looking into mentalism when I stopped. I have a number of books I have read in the distant past that I intend to re-read as I start getting back into mentalism. Do you recommend I re-read the following before I read the above 4 books or those first? The books I am considering re-reading are:


Introduction to Mentalism - Browning (eBook)
Fundamentals by Cassidy (eBook)
Maximum Effect by Weber
Pure Effect by Brown
Absolute Magic by Brown
Alchemical Tools by Brook
Strong Magic 1 and 2 by Ortiz

I want re-start with a strong foundation in theory, character development, and effect presentationa. What do you think? Thanks for you help!

*Engali*
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2292 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2018, Engali wrote:
The books I am considering re-reading are:


Introduction to Mentalism - Browning (eBook)
Fundamentals by Cassidy (eBook)
Maximum Effect by Weber
Pure Effect by Brown
Absolute Magic by Brown
Alchemical Tools by Brook
Strong Magic 1 and 2 by Ortiz

I want re-start with a strong foundation in theory, character development, and effect presentationa. What do you think? Thanks for you help!

*Engali*


Based on your last statement, I'd recommend revisiting the Ortiz books (Strong Magic and Designing Miracles I'm guessing?) as a pretext for developing thoughts regarding theory and construction of effects.

Pure Effect and Alchemical Tools are more, in my opinion, places to develop your character (obviously, there is overlap, please don't use these generalizations as specifics). I'd read those a bit more carefully, with a focus on "who you want to be." For example, the section in AT discussing psychological approaches to cold reading techniques is very interesting if you are going to to take the psychological/influence angle.

First off though, to be completely clear, before you even finish reading this post, go through Maximum Effect. That will guide you into understanding what you want to do, how to plan it out, execute it, etc. While I've known my personal performance character for a long time, Maximum Effect offers great reminders (plus things I just straight up missed or couldn't appreciate until I had more experience) that feed back and forth into routine design, character development, and effect construction.

For me, I'd do ME, then reassess what I feel I need to work on based on that.

It's a hairy question for sure, with different areas of focus from technical effect design to character development to actual routining to actual performance nuances. Every thing you listed that I have read has a slightly different focus, even the 2 Ortiz books.

If you clearly understand where you want to complete your journey and where you are starting from, making a map becomes much easier.

Good luck!

-Lem
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best modern day mentalism books? (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL