The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dream of ACES by Gary Oullette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
How does everybody get the gaffs in- Switch decks, or just intros the gaffs i.e. palm, or cards in box, "I'll do one more..." Cards out of box with the now acquired gaffs.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1134 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
The laydown for the gaffs is brilliant in the "dream of aces" routine. This definitely does not require patter and may just clutter/distract from the effect . . .
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
What I meant was how do you get the gaffs into the deck. I.E. you are doing your card routine and you get to the end and you want to go into Dream... switch decks, palm them in...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I think Johnny Thompson did it best, has the gaffs in his jacket side pocket. Pulls out four aces and puts the deck in his pocket, gaffs go on the bottom, after the four-ace trick (pick your favorite), go to your pocket and bring out the deck with the gaffs.

No palming, no funny moves. Clean

Doug
seraph127
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of seraph127
Dougini, thanks for sharing that nice Thompson method. I'll take that as payment for tipping you to Camirand Academy as a source for gaffs, haha.

If you're seated at a table, you could also have the gaffs lapped, and "ring them in" as you draw the deck to the edge of the table with one hand. A MacDonald's routine is strong enough for a closer, so you could do the addition as you stand, which not only helps cover the action, it broadcasts that you are about to do something really spectacular.
There are many tricks, and many effects, but rarely a Grand Effect. There are many entertainers, but few real magicians. Many technicians, but few artists who use their art to explore their vision. - Derren Brown, Absolute Magic
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Wow, I like the Johnny Thomson method. I for one like to use patter when doing this trick since I like to make the aces vanish one at a time like in McDonald's Aces. The patter isn't complicated, just sort of "we'll take this ace and it vanishes (in this manner and what not)". Music sort of isn't my thing when performing.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Another great way is Switch-A-Roo.

If any of you have this utility, you know exactly what I mean...The video (a must have) shows MacDonald's Aces being performed with a slight variation. Real nice...

Doug
SamChak
View Profile
Veteran user
367 Posts

Profile of SamChak
The handling of Dream of Aces by Gary Oullette is beautiful that basically you will only need a background music to perform in a harmony atmosphere.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science."

~ Albert Einstein ~
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I've been working with this for a few days

one issue is that the dvd has problems, there are lots of little production issues -- no chapters to skip the dialog, the dialog is on a second sound track that might or might not work with your dvd player, and the menu system could be better, also the editing.

the book that comes with this is really great, however. this is near perfect taking you through the moves. the booklet has obviously been polished and perfected, for starters I am trying to learn it exactly as presented.

one issue is that the routine works better silently because much of the handling makes no actual sense. so I'm not doing close up to music, and I've got to think up patter. why are there four stacks of three cards? why am I holding the aces while I make the stacks? why do I also have three cards with the ace of spades? I'll let you know if I figure that one out...

but all in all this is a really beautiful classic trick that is going to have great impact, and this handling seems like a very nice treatment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Dream of ACES by Gary Oullette (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL