The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » If you're AT ALL interested in mem-deck work YOU'RE GOING TO WANT TO READ THIS! (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Looks like "Requiem" is now LIVE on Penguin.

I sincerely hope those who pick this up are pleased with their purchase.

PLEASE don't hesitate to reach out to me with any questions - I'd love to help in any way that I can.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
Afal
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Afal
Dang, I should have waited! Got this off Lybrary a few weeks ago and was surprised the other day when I got an email saying that more had been added to the PDF. I really like how comprehensive it is.

Currently getting to grips with it via the 5th method, hopefully I could "upgrade" to one that suits me once I get the basics down. Great work!
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Thanks so much Afal for supporting "Requiem"!

I wasn't completely sure if this was going to make it to a Cool Box so I do apologize that you didn't experience the discount...

Let me know if there's any way that I can make it up to you!

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
I love simplicity and to that effect, I use, and I just never see this mentioned so thought it should be, the Boris Wild stack.
Learn it and use it in 15 minutes. Yes it does have one drawback, but has never bothered me. Position of any card, any cards position, easy.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Philippe wrote:
I love simplicity and to that effect, I use, and I just never see this mentioned so thought it should be, the Boris Wild stack.
Learn it and use it in 15 minutes. Yes it does have one drawback, but has never bothered me. Position of any card, any cards position, easy.

Does it look mixed? I know a stack you can learn in 1 minute but it doesn't look mixed!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
You mean NDO? Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Anything I add concerning the simplicity of the stacks explained in "Requiem" will of course be filtered through my bias Smile

That said - since developing the "Panacea Stack" and the "Base Stack" I've become familiar with quite a few other systems. Each has their advantages and drawbacks.

Phillipe, my hat is off to you for picking up Boris' system so quickly! If you're comfortable with that stack than it would be ABSOLUTELY pointless to encourage you to switch - it does the job you need!

I will say this though, if you like Boris' approach but would like a stack to appear more mixed (with runs of suits and colors) I believe that you will LOVE the "Base Stack". It's still a math based approach but users will likely find the mental process a bit more streamlined than the BW Instant Memorized Deck.

If math isn't your thing, the "Panacea Stack" leverages an existing mnemonic framework in a new way and doesn't require ANY math - merely an understanding of relationships. Contrary to an algorithmic approach (where, for example, A+B/C=D) the "Panacea Stack" is as quick as A(consider relationship)=D.

It's likely apparent that I'm quite passionate about these stacks - my motivation is to help others acquire a tool that they may have felt outside their reach in the past.

Thanks for everyone's support of "Requiem" thus far!

Best,

Drew

Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Drew, I'm going to follow your advice. Is the Base Stack part of Requiem?
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2016, Nicolino wrote:
You mean NDO? Smile

Almost. A-K of the 4 suits!
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Yes Phillipe - "Requiem" contains both the "Base Stack" and the "Panacea Stack".

I included both systems in hopes of offering readers with at a least one stack that fit the way they are "hardwired". "One size fits all" solutions sometimes don't account for individual strengths but hopefully more people find a "fit" in these VERY different approaches.

Best,

Drew

mindthump
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of mindthump
Drew -- I'm very interested in this (I wish I had seen the thread earlier when you offered the intro price!). I'm 56 and my memory isn't what it used to be. The only stack I every seriously tried to use years ago was "Eight Kings", which game me some cool reactions. However, I only used it for some simple tricks and I always felt I was being noticeably slow going through it in my head -- but I don't know that others thought that I was because I presented it as a mind-reading effect.

I looked at Si Stebbins, Nikola, and Mnemonica but I got the feeling I would have to drop everything for months Smile to really get them. Also, they seemed to be heavy on pre-set Poker/Bridge/Euchre hands that I don't care about. I did have some success in general memorization with the Lorraine/Lucas book. I'm intrigued by the 'algorithmic' stack, I'm a very experienced software developer so that may be more my style...
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2016, DrewBstoss wrote:
Yes Phillipe - "Requiem" contains both the "Base Stack" and the "Panacea Stack".

I included both systems in hopes of offering readers with at a least one stack that fit the way they are "hardwired". "One size fits all" solutions sometimes don't account for individual strengths but hopefully more people find a "fit" in these VERY different approaches.

Drew may I ask how difficult it is to calculate the next AND previous card in Panacea?

I understand you have different methods to calculate the suit order, so I'm thinking about something sufficiently random to ribbon spread the whole deck.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Hi ltrblst,

Thanks for your question and interest!

The Panacea stack was designed, first and foremost, to help you quickly/easily determine the position of a card in the stack and the card at a given position. If you’re seeking a purely sequential stack that looks well shuffled but is no more difficult to calculate than Si Stebbins I can wholeheartedly recommend Doug Dyment’s “DAO” stack Smile

https://www.deceptionary.com/tricyclic.html

Also, the Pokerface routine shared in that booklet is one of the best card routines using such a stack that I’ve ever seen!

My Panacea stack actually shares a similar philosophy to Doug’s “QuickerStack” approach.

Best wishes,

Drew

ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:

The Panacea stack was designed, first and foremost, to help you quickly/easily determine the position of a card in the stack and the card at a given position. If you’re seeking a purely sequential stack that looks well shuffled but is no more difficult to calculate than Si Stebbins I can wholeheartedly recommend Doug Dyment’s “DAO” stack Smile

Thanks for your kind reply, I will keep an eye on DAO.

Maybe it's not possible to have a full deck stack designed for both easy sequential (previous/next) and random (card/position) work; so I need to settle on DAO and Panacea for example.

However I don't want to hijack your thread, so I opened mine for everyone to help.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » If you're AT ALL interested in mem-deck work YOU'RE GOING TO WANT TO READ THIS! (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL