The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Arby's Restaurant/ who knew! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I had an unusual request to perform this evening, Valentine's Day, at Arby's restaurant. It seems that a group of about 30 people
gather at a local Arby's every Valentine's day, decorate, bring in goodies and the management lets them take over a section of the dining area for a couple of hours. I never had that particular experience before and it was a little weird as people were walking in to order their fast food and sitting while a magic show is going on. All in all it went very well and I' m glad I did it.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
That's great that it went well and that you enjoyed it.

It makes me wonder if performing at fast food places is maybe an under utilized resource. Or is it a place that's not good enough for most performers. I say that as inquisitive not condescendingly.
Would it be beneath most people compared to doing fancy places?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I have been invited to perform at a Family Night for a McDonalds a few times.

Some Fast food places are franchises and can run their own promotions.

-Mary Mowder
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I do school spirit nights at Chic-fil-a. It gets a little crazy with the kids running around, but its fun.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't think it should be beneath anyone to get a paycheck.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
David, I don't know if you were around when the first Arbys in Pittsburgh opened in Oakland by Pitt. (Not the one near the Big O, the one closer to town.

At that time I was on the syndicated Bozo show on Chanel 53 as a kid. My father didn't believe that a 16 year old kid making 300 a week, doing shows, knew the value of money -so- he insisted I get a job.

So there I was, making 1.35 an hour making sandwiches when I could have been doing shows.

His logic was that he wasn't going to drive me around because I had it too easy.
Well.... That job lasted about three weeks and I got fed up so I went to East Liberty Caddilac dealer and found a salesman who would take 3,800 from a 16 year old and I walked out with a new Eldorado.

Not too long after, my father changed his mind when I payed for dinner at a nice restaurant, for the family.

Money talks... Not that I have much now, but it's nice to remember.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Great story Jay!
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:

That's what I was kind of getting at; wondering if there were people who would forgo money for the sake of image.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, bigfoot wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:

That's what I was kind of getting at; wondering if there were people who would forgo money for the sake of image.

Unfortunately many would.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Someone might turn down such a gig because they were not a good fit. The McDonald's gigs were strolling fun with Kids but not everyone has the right repertoire for that and some are intimidated by uncontrolled situations.

-Mary Mowder
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, jay leslie wrote:
David, I don't know if you were around when the first Arbys in Pittsburgh opened in Oakland by Pitt. (Not the one near the Big O, the one closer to town.

At that time I was on the syndicated Bozo show on Chanel 53 as a kid. My father didn't believe that a 16 year old kid making 300 a week, doing shows, knew the value of money -so- he insisted I get a job.

So there I was, making 1.35 an hour making sandwiches when I could have been doing shows.

His logic was that he wasn't going to drive me around because I had it too easy.
Well.... That job lasted about three weeks and I got fed up so I went to East Liberty Caddilac dealer and found a salesman who would take 3,800 from a 16 year old and I walked out with a new Eldorado.

Not too long after, my father changed his mind when I payed for dinner at a nice restaurant, for the family.

Money talks... Not that I have much now, but it's nice to remember.

Thanks for sharing that story Jay. I grew up in the North Hills and remember McDonalds on McKnight when they served through a take out window and there was an Arby's right across the street. I remember the big hat sign.
The remuneration from the Arby's gig wasn't bad at all. It wasn't beneath me, I enjoyed the heck out it.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
White Castle does quite a thing for Valentine's Day - tablecloths, printed menus, flowers on the tables, the whole deal. Sure it's, you know, ironic, but pretty fun too. Maybe a magician would be worth their while - twisting napkin roses or pearl poodles or other (maybe a little tongue-in-cheek) romantic effects.

(I don't know if they all do a Valentine's thing, but quite a few seem to.)
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Huh I always thought that these were just chains and wouldn't be able to work any deal out
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Arby's Restaurant/ who knew! (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL