The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Strobe Light Usage ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
How safe is this to be used on the stage and for how long can it be used. I also know that strobe lights carry a warning label as well. but I'll like to use it in my act but don't want any of the audience seriously affected by it. Don,
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
You have to be careful...epileptics may have problems with usage of a strobe, depending upon the flash rate and the ambient light in the audience area.

Steve Thomas
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
What is a SAFE Flash rating to use. and what kind of ambient lighting is needed for the audience. Don,
procy
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of procy
Depneding on whther it is being used for theatre performance or private booking. I would keep clear from strobe lighting in the later. You would need to put up notices e.t.c.. and in the programme informing people you will be using strobe lighting effects. For a private booking this could cause problems as some of the audience may not be able to attend the performance

Just a thought

Simon
Clayton Cavaness
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
56 Posts

Profile of Clayton Cavaness
When we performed at amusement parks the management put up signs at all the theatres warning that strobe lights were used.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I was thinking about Signs. but I thinks its Best not to go with a strobe Light. now any other ideas I'm open to them Don,
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
The Epileptic Foundation stated that, in a recent survey, 21% of epileptics surveyed reported that strobe lights set off siezures for them. Too high a risk when there are so many other great sign lighting effects: chasers, etc.
One extremely cool medium to work in is Lightningwire. Take a look at http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Wire.htm
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Whatever lighting effect you use, be sure that it lights up the stage well. I still have memories of watching an act in which a typical strobe was used - made the act look cheap and you couldn't see what was going on.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
Glasgow, Scotland
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Strobes are risky. You have to have notices up stating strobes are used in the act, or show, and you are only allowed to have a strobe on for 20 seconds of each minute, according to my drama teacher (who also works on theatre productions)
Kevin
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
If you warn people with signs or on advertisements...I don't see a big problem.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Went to a play last week directed by the head of the drama department of a local college. I would think he would have known as he has a 25+ year background, but he ran an entire two-minute scene lit by strobe alone. I looked around the theatre (I couldn't stare at it directly myself without getting queasy) and saw several members of the audience holding their hands over their eyes! The woman behind me kept asking "Has it stopped yet?" Turns out that strobes are annoying even to non-epileptics. I just avoid 'em.

Most light boards can be programmed with a "random" cue that cycles the channels in an effect that produces choppy motion, yet because of the cool-down time of incandescent filaments, doesn't have the seizure-producing effect of a direct strobe. I've used that a lot!
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2004-07-13 14:02, CamelotFX wrote:
I would think he would have known as he has a 25+ year background

ROTFLMAO Smile
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
Rotflmao?
Keep passing the open windows!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
ROTFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off

It's a net thing.
Higley's Doug's Museum
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Andy, I can only add: "Experience counts... unless it's bad experience."
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Smile
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Strobe Light Usage ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL