The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » My new bag.... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I've been meaning to share with the close up workers a new bag I picked up last summer. 90% of my work is strolling, so this is my new go to bag. I use a larger doctor bag for formal close up or parlor shows. I belive that while you are strolling you should NOT have a case, that it should stay hidden. This bag is fantastic. The 2 side compartments fit 4 decks of cards, the big compartment fits either 3 cups, chop cup and loads or a Destination Box, sponge balls and a 2 piece wand. The small compartment at top holds smaller stuff like coin purses, envelopes and packet trick wallet. I also keep my phone and keys in here behind the bar when I'm working as I don't want anything in my pockets other than what I need for the gig.

http://www.ebags.com/product/briggs-and-......ch_as_l1
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Pepka!

Karrell Fox and I are/were "case freaks"!

On the road, and living in a motor home, space was always an important consideration. All props, etc. were in cases. School show props, in one 13" x 20" x 8" fiber case, close up props in a doctor bag, spare props in fiber case, ETC.

I checked out your link, and like the case at top of the page. ($69.00)

I'm a HAPPY KID! I recently picked up a case that closely matches the case in the link, mint condition, at a thrift shop, for $1.00!!!

I'm reminded of a tripod table base that Karrell Fox used for club dates. His club act props carried in a leather case about 8" x 8" x 15", --and, it wasn't full! The tripe table base fit inside the prop case which could be quickly fastened to the base (no table top needed). I asked him where he bought the tripe. He said, "In an office supply store. It's the base for a court reporter's "Steno-type" machine--$75.00."

That fall, on the road in California, I checked out a thrift shop for old books. On the way out, I saw a large table piled with "miscellanea". I spotted the "mate" to Karrell's tripod base! It was NEW, in a zippered case. Price: TWO BUCKS! The check out lady asked, "Where did you find this?" I pointed to the table. She said, "EVERYTHING on that table is 50% off, today." When I showed it to Karrell, who was known for his thrift, he almost had a heart attack!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
Pepka,
That's an impressive case.
Now to organize.

Dick,
I'm a thrift shop aficionado.

I go once a week to a local thrift shop.
Most of the time I don't buy anything but sometimes I find gold.
Pirouz
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! Jay Marshall and I consdered thrift shops as "magic" shops!

In the days when salesman carried sample cases, one could often find great fiber cases, "catalog" cases, etc. I even found an ANVIL case for two bucks!

In another thread a year or so ago, I mentioned finding a Morrisey double load dove pan in near mint condition, for $1.00!. (in the housewares 'department') That same day, I found a MAK phantom tube in kid' toy department!

Check out the ladies scarves! I've found RICE silks! --and, some beautiful "polys" (polyester) scarves, that are great for the vanishing square knot ("Slydini Knots")

I avoid GOODWILL stores. They're often messy, dirty, etc. The Goodwill owners, get their stock for nothing, pay the "help" minimum wages, and the profit potential is enormous.

I like the "church" operated stores (Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul, Deseret). They're generally clean, well organized, and the salespeople are volunteers. There's always a book 'shelf'. My hobby is collecting "magic in fiction". Over the years, I've picked up dozens of "Gallicos", "Mannix", "Horatio Algers", "Carter Dicksns" ETC., for a dollar or less. (Even a TARBELL, Vol I, in mint condition! ($2.00)

One of my best finds, was the "Karrell Fox" table mentioned above.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
Dick, that's good to know about the Goodwill stores.
I'll try the others you suggested.
Thanks,
Pirouz
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Retired I'm usually in the Gospel Magicians forum- but-surfing this forum remindes me when I first started doing LOTs of Birthday parties(1950s) I took a footlocker---got ea. 3ft(+/-)wood, screw on table legs(4 ea.) and their recepting plates- screwing plate on the bottom of the footlocker -then the legs into the plates(carried legs in the locker to the party) I then cut the top of the locker in half -lengthwize - attaching top together with a piano hing so open part would fold over and could be used as a table(thin)--- also with spring clamp had drapes to fit front of whole thing(western-circus-animalprint flashy-etc-to fit program)- carried a 30+min. show in it.. - later build myself several roll on tables , 12x14 top x24 hi ,case(closed)--12"x14"(top)by 36"tall- open (somewhat like the cases that were/are- available from Abbotts-Tannen-etc) still have a couple-if any interested- Pick up in Central Florida(15 min from Disney world) -Ralph(russo)Rousseau
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Yes, Dick, Thanks for sharing about the "Goodwill" stores. There is no "good will" in Goodwill. So many people think it is a charity when it is clearly NOT.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I too love thrift shops. They are great for finding real good mirrors. I've bought tons there
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » My new bag.... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL