The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Fenton handcuff ( Houdini wouldn't try it) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1494 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
On display at the Indy escape convention will be a reproduction of the famous Fenton handcuff. This is a massive lock 12 inches by 8 inched with shackle on top for the wrists. With the generous offering of information from the private research by 'Kondini', I was able to construct as full working model. Thank you Kondini, and it should be noted for hisory sake that Kondini has escaped from this handcuff, the handcuff that Houdini turned down twice.

Check out the Cannon's Great Escape table for the Fenton handcuff. Maybe you could escape from it??

regards

Ian
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Ian will the Fenton Handcuff/Lock be Available for Purchase in the Future. Don,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1494 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dear Don, the Fenton lock on display will not be for sale.

Ian
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Bummer I'm sure others will be interested in buying one. oh well at Least I Helped Don,
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Thank you for the kind offer Ian.....

....I think I'll pass on the 'try it and see' part though!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1494 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Stuart, I get the impresssion you are going to the Indy escape convention? As the stocks section on top of the Fenton handcuff is a fixed size, maybe your wrist could either slip out or may not even fit.

Ian
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
I will if I can (University is proving to be a harder thing to escape from than I thought)

I know some UK people are going so I am sure they will enjoy the lock / cuff.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1494 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Stuart, I hope you can make it to the Indy show, I unfortunely cannot make it this year. It should be the best time you can ever have in 'escapes' when not performing the impossible. Don't forget to bring some of your ideas to show and tell.

Ian
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Hi Ian,

Can you post a picture or link, for the folks that can't go this year? I am in the middle of moving, and waiting to close on my new home right now and I'm sure other folks won't be able to go either.

Thanks,

Mike
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
KSD try going to http://www.kondini.com that is where evreyone first learned of it from. Don,
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I looked at the site but maby I don't know what to look for. I think its good to have something that nobody else is doing.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
I'd love to see a picture too!

James.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
KSD go to this Site You'll see the Inventor holding the Lock. http://www.handcuffs.org/wwwboard3/messages/722.htm Don,
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
954 Posts

Profile of Riley
The Story of Mr Willaim Fenton and his challenge(s) to Houdini can be found in "The Escapology Secrets of David DeVal", with photos of the lock etc pages 54 - 57.
Well done Kondini and Ian McColl for their work with this lock.
I have a few copies of a photograph of Mr Fenton holding his lock if anyone would like one please contact me and I'll bring it on the 20th.

Riley
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Oh Jeeze! Look at that thing! No wonder Harry turned it down! I'll stick to my dinky little Smith and Wessons!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
A little larger than I would consider. There is a lot to be said for packs small.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Now that's what I call a lock! Smile

James.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
The Story of the Fenton lock in David DeVal's book is a very interesting read, and probably one of my favorites of the entire book. I can't wait to see Ian's reproduction of this historic device. Knowing the dedication that he has to his craft and his attention to detail, I know that this will be an incredible reproduction. I'm certainly going to want a picture taken with it. Ian, we will all miss you at the convention this year, but at least you will be there in spirit.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
PS Thanks for providing Ian with all the research Ken, great web site by the way!!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1494 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Tony, thank you, I have tried to make this a faithful reproduction more than a replica. Almost all of the integrity of the mechanism is there but for a few of the wards. The only thing I will say is that apart from the wards, there are three chambers through which the key must pass in order to open the lock. The operation of the key by the way it turns through each chamber can give you head spins.

I really must thank Ken again for all his help. It is nice to be able to make something that I would probably not get to see unless I traveled to England. Having made it, holding it massive size and operating the lock was worth all the days of work.

It was a nice change from customized escape equipment for others, I got to make something for myself.

"Back to the workshop"
regards

Ian
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Looks like a medieval torture device! JEEPERS!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Fenton handcuff ( Houdini wouldn't try it) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL