The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bill Test by Erik Casey (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
eboetcker
View Profile
Regular user
Jacksonville, FL
180 Posts

Profile of eboetcker
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, John T. Sheets wrote:
I'd like to say congratulations to Eric on his release of "Bill Test". However, it looks very similar to an effect that I released way back in 2005 called "Atomic Bills", which happens to be scheduled to be re-released very soon by Kosmo (of Reel Magic Magazine) on a DVD called "Cool Cash".

I'm curious what the differences are between this effect and mine? I'd love to know if/how they're different. Can anyone compare these? I've also sent a PM to Eric, and I'm looking forward to his reply.

Thanks!!

Magically,
John

I am trying to be as transparent as possible on here, so instead of replying to the PM I will just reply publicly here.
Thanks John! Some notable differences from Atomic Bills are definitely the structuring of the handling, the gimmick is similar in idea but in functionality and versatility are definitely different. My handling is inspired from, mainly, coin magic as well and not from Atomic Bills. You asked privately if I could send you a DVD and you'd send me yours, and I am not against that. But, these gimmicks are being made by hand, so Penguin literally has all the ones that exist at this time.
Just a heads up though, Meraux Dantes told me about Atomic Bills years ago when I showed him this and warned me of the similarity, as did some other magicians, but all confirmed it was different in handling, presentation (to a degree, I mean it is still a Bill Tranpo effect), and gimmick. That being said, at the end of the DVD I did give you a credit as well and mentioned Atomic Bills by name for being a trick similar.

And to comment on a post up above, plastic cash it out unfortunately Smile it has to be foldable. Different sized and colored money does work, but takes some arts and crafts work. There will be some slight differences in handling, but it is really pretty straight forward. I am working on a foreign billed gimmick though. But the included supplies will still let you make your own if you want to now.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
John T. Sheets your just to funny.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1375 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Looks great, but I believe we still need the answer to the question about different currencies. Can this be used in countries where the bill sizes varies with the denomination, like 50 bill is smaller than the 100 bill and also in a different color.

Thx

Jan
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1130 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2016, MR Effecto wrote:
John T. Sheets your just to funny.

I'm just curious to know what the differences are between effects, as they appear to be similar, I guess that's funny. Anyways, just for the record, the Atomic Bills was first published in 2005, then again in 2008 on the "Above Top Secret" DVD with additional handling techniques. I'm NOT trying to detract from Eric's release, I just hope it's not the same thing. If they're different then I genuinely applaud Eric, and again, I congratulate him on his new release!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1130 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, eboetcker wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2016, John T. Sheets wrote:
I'd like to say congratulations to Eric on his release of "Bill Test". However, it looks very similar to an effect that I released way back in 2005 called "Atomic Bills", which happens to be scheduled to be re-released very soon by Kosmo (of Reel Magic Magazine) on a DVD called "Cool Cash".

I'm curious what the differences are between this effect and mine? I'd love to know if/how they're different. Can anyone compare these? I've also sent a PM to Eric, and I'm looking forward to his reply.

Thanks!!

Magically,
John

I am trying to be as transparent as possible on here, so instead of replying to the PM I will just reply publicly here.
Thanks John! Some notable differences from Atomic Bills are definitely the structuring of the handling, the gimmick is similar in idea but in functionality and versatility are definitely different. My handling is inspired from, mainly, coin magic as well and not from Atomic Bills. You asked privately if I could send you a DVD and you'd send me yours, and I am not against that. But, these gimmicks are being made by hand, so Penguin literally has all the ones that exist at this time.
Just a heads up though, Meraux Dantes told me about Atomic Bills years ago when I showed him this and warned me of the similarity, as did some other magicians, but all confirmed it was different in handling, presentation (to a degree, I mean it is still a Bill Tranpo effect), and gimmick. That being said, at the end of the DVD I did give you a credit as well and mentioned Atomic Bills by name for being a trick similar.

And to comment on a post up above, plastic cash it out unfortunately Smile it has to be foldable. Different sized and colored money does work, but takes some arts and crafts work. There will be some slight differences in handling, but it is really pretty straight forward. I am working on a foreign billed gimmick though. But the included supplies will still let you make your own if you want to now.

Thanks for the reply Erik, and thanks for the credit on your DVD. I look forward to seeing this!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Bill test is also like 5 and 1 Transpo effect you can get on Penguin as well. I have that one and used it all the time.

Bill test is way better for a few reasons. 1. You can barrow the bills. 2. you can give back the same bills at the end. 3. very little clean up and very easy.
eboetcker
View Profile
Regular user
Jacksonville, FL
180 Posts

Profile of eboetcker
To go off what Mr. Efecto was saying, yes this is very similar to a lot of tricks in overall effect of which they all, obviously, inspired me. Initially Eugene Burger showed me Slow-Mo Bill Transpo ( http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5886 and http://www.houdini.com/en/money-magic/21......on.html) years and years ago. I did that version for a few years. I loved it. Hated one thing about it though, which is that the bills came and went from my wallet. I went out to try to find one that suited my needs (again, this is a few years ago) and came up short. I did the 5 – 1 Transpo ( http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1161 ) for a time, I enjoyed the simplicity but it wasn’t enough. I still had to borrow a “certain” bill when doing the effect and use my bill. Alternatively, borrow two “certain” bills then do a switch, do the trick, then do another switch. It was too much. Back to the lab I went, obviously I tried out U.F. Grant's work, then the work in Tarbell (third volume), then even tried Fishy Five by Hiro Sakai (seen in a 1999 issue of GENII). I did Greg’s version posted in MAGIC. I finally hit the nail on the head, it was after seeing a Wayne Dobson effect. It was not with bills, but the handling and idea behind it was the key to The Bill Test. I realized now that it could be done with bills. Unfortunately Wayne's trick has since then been discontinued, but this was back in 2009 when it came out.

So yes, this is very similar to all other classics in magic, but also very different in the approach and handling. All of this is mentioned at the end of my DVD, but I still wanted to give credit where credit is due publicly.
eboetcker
View Profile
Regular user
Jacksonville, FL
180 Posts

Profile of eboetcker
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2016, Vraagaard wrote:
Looks great, but I believe we still need the answer to the question about different currencies. Can this be used in countries where the bill sizes varies with the denomination, like 50 bill is smaller than the 100 bill and also in a different color.

Thx

Jan

"And to comment on a post up above, plastic cash it out unfortunately Smile it has to be foldable. Different sized and colored money does work, but takes some arts and crafts work. There will be some slight differences in handling, but it is really pretty straight forward. I am working on a foreign billed gimmick though. But the included supplies will still let you make your own if you want to now."
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
510 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Mr Effecto-

I used to do 5 & 1 transpo all the time so when Erik should me Bill Test I went "dang... This is how it needs to be accomplished"

Ryan
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2016, RSchlutz wrote:
Mr Effecto-

I used to do 5 & 1 transpo all the time so when Erik should me Bill Test I went "dang... This is how it needs to be accomplished"

Ryan

Yes. You are so right. It will be on me all the time as well.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12564 Posts

Profile of John C
You can borrow bills with 5 to 1 if you wanted to.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
eboetcker
View Profile
Regular user
Jacksonville, FL
180 Posts

Profile of eboetcker
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2016, John C wrote:
You can borrow bills with 5 to 1 if you wanted to.

Correct. Only a 1 and 5 though. Then having to switch for a gimmicked $5. Yeah, that is a method you can do.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Got this and it is really cool. Will have this with me all the time. Great effect.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4102 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I can't really tell exactly what the effect is from the audience perspective. The trailer is very... vague.

KJ
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1896 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
I can't really tell exactly what the effect is from the audience perspective. The trailer is very... vague.

KJ

Watch the 2nd trailer- it has an uncut performance
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
FORTUNA | Ideal Meal | Dice Flash Cards | Sumology | Stroop Test | TOCAAN | THREESUM | SNAPS | Precise Premonition | With The Band | You Know (UNO) | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4102 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I watched it. It was a terrible angle. Can't really see the effect. You mostly see the spectator's reaction.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2686 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
It is hard to tell from the trailer. Honestly it helps if you have see this kind of trick before which is not fair.
A spectator has two bills of different denominations, let's say a 1 and 5. They are folded into eighths and mixed up behind the spectators back. The spectator brings their hands forward with the bills hidden. You reach into their hands and bring out one the bills and demonstrate that it is the 1. You wave your hand and now you have the 5 and when they open their hand they have the one. All bills are now examinable.
Patter varies. It is quite an old plot as Erik credits on the DVD.
The advantages to Erik's version are that all bills can be borrowed since non are permanently gimmicked. It is not hard to be prepared to to do the trick with almost any bills you are likely to encounter. The bills can of course be handed back and examined at the end.
The disadvantages to this method is that there is a small gimmick to wring in and out and there is a little bit of slight of hand.
I am pretty sure I will be giving Erik's method a go as it's nice (although time consuming) to borrow and hand back the bills

David Wax
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I purchased Bill Test and watched the two downloadable videos from Penguin. However one is just a short performance video and the other is all about making a gimmick. Does a DVD come with the provided gimmick that is NOT on Penguin's downloads?

Thanks!

Jim
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Yes it does.
eboetcker
View Profile
Regular user
Jacksonville, FL
180 Posts

Profile of eboetcker
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2016, 1KJ wrote:

KJ

Oh man, I am so sorry. That is totally my fault. I made the assumption (total rookie error) that everyone knew the 1-5 U.F. Grant transpo plot. Just because I knew it, I figured everyone else has too. Bad move on my part!

Thank you David for the honest review! Glad you will be using it in the real world as well and giving it a shot!

As for the two downloads, those were only posted to let you see the gimmicks that you're getting to familiarize yourself with it before you get in the DVD. The DVD is about 1 hour and 20 minutes with different handlings and routine ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bill Test by Erik Casey (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL