The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Couple of suggestions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

matthu
View Profile
Regular user
UK
170 Posts

Profile of matthu
Let me start off by saying that the new search tool is very much better than the old! I can now find reviews and so on whereas previously I couldn't. It may occasionally be a little on the slow side, but at least it works well.

Now for a couple of suggestions, and I apologise if these have been made before.

(1) When you submit a post, the system should default to returning you to your post (allowing you to reflect on what you have written and possibly edit it) rather than asking you where you want to returnm to.

(2) I find it strange that I stay logged in even after closing the browser? Is there a way of perhaps logging users out if they are inactive for a period of 60 minutes or so? Otherwsie the number of people currently logged in will tend to be exagerated.

Matthew

P.S. this time it DID default to returning me to my post. Usually it pops up an intervening window - not quite sure why it is working differently now.

P.P.S. and the second time it popped up a window to tell me that my post had been stored in the database etc. Very strange. Maybe I imagined the smooth transition the first time.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Thank you for your comments on the new search engine, I know Gene appreciates hearing them. Smile

When you first submit a post, you should immediately be redirected to the post you just made. If you subsequently edit that post, you'll get the intervening screen with link choices. If you stay on that screen for (I think) 5 seconds, you will be redirected to your post again.

When you log into the Café, a cookie is placed on your computer. The cookie expires in one year's time, so unless you remove it, you'll stay logged in. As for the whosonline page, that is tracked through server sessions. If you leave the Café for more than ten(?) minutes, your name drops off the whosonline list. It might be 15 minutes, I don't remember what we set that to. It will also drop your name from the list if you stay on the same page for more than the set time. As soon as you load another Café page, your name comes back. That's why you see people on, then off, then on the list again.
matthu
View Profile
Regular user
UK
170 Posts

Profile of matthu
Thanks for your feedback - I expect I will get used to it!
peterng25
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of peterng25
My suggestion:
- Since forum readers are so helpful, they will direct me to an older post via a link pertinent to some contemporary discussion. Wouldn't it be great if there was a viewable database with groups of postings by subject, in each forum subclass?
Then perhaps the current guest of honor could be queried about what seems to be most relevant to forum readers.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Peter, I think what you are looking for is the search engine. For example if you type in Billiard balls, click on topic only and search all forums, you get all posts relevant to billiard balls.
Where the magic begins
peterng25
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of peterng25
There's a lot of features to the search, especially the newly revamped version.
What I meant to say was regarding postings that come up regularly that are then referenced to posts on the same subject that have fallen off the front page. In a way magiccafe has fallen victim to its own overwhelming success: there must be over 30 different forums (I didn't count), and to browse the Café one hour a day to catch everything new is overwhelming enough. If someone wants to ask:"Can bunnies learn to become escapologists and ruin one's show?", one would have to do an exhaustive search through the archive to be sure there aren't answers already there. It would be neat to be able to look things up without being constantly reminded to search, simply because of the size of the message database.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yes, there are a lot of features on the Search but you don't have to use them all. In your example, just enter some key words from your phrase and submit. You'll get a list of all the topics containing those words in any sequence you'd like. If you want the most current first, select decending order for example.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Couple of suggestions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL