The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Elite Match Sticks (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Daisydog
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
Nice effect. What does everyone think? Looks good.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5487 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Http://www.tenyoelite.com/products.php

A no brainer for me. The effect is a classic mentalism routine that just needed the right props to sell it. These are those props. I would have no problem bringing these items out in a serious presentation. They look special. Maybe a game? Maybe a puzzle?

Or maybe something in between...or beyond?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1563 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I like how they look and it improves upon the original. However, for me, the handling is uncomfortable and somewhat telegraphs at least part of the method. I've never been a fan if the original and this does not change my mind. It is great looking though so if you like the effect then go for it for sure.

I do wish a third wood would have been used for the box though. Maple for the light sticks, cherry for the dark sticks and perhaps mahogany for the box.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Teevtee, I believe you're wrong about this effect. Learn it, and do it for some people. See the result. It looks as if you're doing nothing, and the freedom of choice they have in selecting the sticks is amazing.

Laymen do not know about "method"--rarely does anything telegraph method other than the ineptitude of the performer.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1563 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I appreciate your insight Richard. Your knowledge and appreciation of Tenyo is far far deeper than I could ever hope to have. However on this one point we can simply disagree. To be clear I am not saying that Match Sticks is a poor trick, simply one that I do not personally care for.
meridianfan
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of meridianfan
Match Sticks is a brilliant effect and a logical choice as a Tenyo Elite item. I think this was suggested some time ago by Café members. I agree that a mahogany box would have been a better choice for this set.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2016, teevtee wrote:
I appreciate your insight Richard. Your knowledge and appreciation of Tenyo is far far deeper than I could ever hope to have. However on this one point we can simply disagree. To be clear I am not saying that Match Sticks is a poor trick, simply one that I do not personally care for.

I agree, a OK trick, but simply not 'Tenyo' enough. IMHO.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

You're missing the point, Ed. What's "Tenyo" is not necessarily a piece of plastic with a moving mechanism, but the thinking behind the trick. Kato created something that no one had done before. To me Tenyo equates with ingenuity.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5487 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2016, Richard Kaufman wrote:
You're missing the point, Ed. What's "Tenyo" is not necessarily a piece of plastic with a moving mechanism, but the thinking behind the trick. Kato created something that no one had done before. To me Tenyo equates with ingenuity.

Yes. Perfectly said. Mechanical engineering and/or mental engineering is what makes Tenyo.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:

You know Richard, I don't often disagree with you , but in this case I think I'll make an exception Smile
Any magic designer/manufacturer worth their salt is ingenious. Saying that "Tenyo equates to ingenuity" does not
separate them from the field. Alan Warner, Magic Wagon et.al., are all ingenious. At large risk to myself, I dare say ingenuity in this case is a 'dime a dozen'.

However, their stake of claim to greatness is exactly their use of plastic and moving mechanisms. That, sets them apart!
Sure, they have come up with plenty of "non-Tenyo" ish creative & even ingenious stuff, but that is not what makes them unique.
While Matchsticks itself may or may not be a great effect (in the eye of the beholder) & whether I would agree or not, Elite believed it to be a candidate for their unique 'makeover'. Their call.

I on the other hand already have Matchsticks, made by the masters themselves, Tenyo. Personally, I look to and buy from Elite their interpretations of Tenyo's mechanical marvels not simply another ingenious effect.

Ed
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2016, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Perfectly said. Mechanical engineering and/or mental engineering is what makes Tenyo.

Wiz, I would beg to differ with you as well Smile

Tenyo is Mechanical AND Mental engineering. Not 'OR'.

Matchsticks (without judgement on the effects quality) simply does not represent what is great about Tenyo's long and illustrious product line.

...... In my exceedingly humble opinion.

Ed

PS- Allow me to add that I bought the Tenyo's Matchsticks because it was Tenyo! I would not own it if it were made by any other company.
BUT,,,,, if Prison Box or Crystal Cleaver were made by another company they would both be in my collection!
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1563 Posts

Profile of teevtee
To chime back in I was not srating that I do not care for Match Sticks because it is or is not "Tenyo-like". On another thread I have argued that Bill Scape is a GREAT Tenyo effect despite not being machanical. So to me I am simplu judging Match Sticks as an effect divoreced from it's Tenyou originals altogether.

RIchard loves the trick, others may or msy not agree. To me the effect reads exteedingly well but in actual performace is not as strong. Richard imples that this is a sign of a weak performance, perhaps. Certainly strong presenation elevates any effect. But not only have I perfromed it in ways that I think are fairly solid but I have seen it performed by those with far greater experience with it than I and even in those instances I am not taken with it.

I think this, like most things, simply is a matter of taste. It does not impress me (though the thinking behind it does) it may totally impress others... that's A-OK by me.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Different strokes for different folks.
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2016, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Different strokes for different folks.

OK, now that I will agree with.
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1563 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I agree with that for sure. Also let me take this time to apologize for the ridiculous typos in my previous post and others as well. I am a poor speller but a worse typist apparently. I tend to reply and post without proof reading. Only on rare occasions when I go back and read old posts do I realize how embarrassingly poorly they sometimes come off.

While I am sure you got the gist of my intentions I am sorry for the sloppy manner in which they were portrayed.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5487 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Edshern, maybe what we all can agree on is that the beauty of Tenyo lies in their attention to "idea." Hit or miss...and there have been both...they do seem to concentrate on putting out effects that are thoughtful. Deliberate. Well-researched, engineered, and produced. Many of these ideas are delightfully mechanical in execution, while others, are just simply smart...with no mechanics added. They may not always be the right effects for everyone, but they are almost always well-conceived.

I just know if I were one of the decision-makers at Tenyo Elite...I would have a difficult time making a decision.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2684 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I remember when Jason first showed me Match Sticks.
It fooled me badly even though I had learned the move in other tricks when I was kid, I didn't catch it when I first saw it.

Why did we choose Match Sticks?

For one, it fools people badly and even some magicians (myself included).

Secondly now that it's built in an Elie form it can be used in a professional application or performance.

Third, this trick is non mechanical so it didn't take as much R&D or prototyping which allowed us to do the second run of zig zag cigs and to now start the second run of ultra tubes in a more timely fashion (our line of effects will consist of both mechanical and non mechanical tricks).

And lastly when we asked the head of Tenyo, Kenichi Komiya, what he would like to see done in Elite, his answer was Match Sticks!

And we are thrilled with the outcome.
My favorite addition we did for the Elite version is the second set/and box we supply that allows you to hand the set out for examination at the end. No one in their right mind will ever think someone went to the trouble of making an identical set and box just to hand out.

Is everyone going to like the same effects that we put out? Of course not. It doesn't matter what we put out, not everyone will like the same tricks and that's ok. This is a labour of love for us, and a tribute to Tenyo and all of their amazing creations!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Peter, a slight correction: Kenichi Komiya is not the head of Tenyo. He is one of the members of the Creative Division, and he is often the English language contact because of of his bi-lingual ability. Mr. Toyoshima is the President of Tenyo (he is married to one of the daughters of founder Akira Yamada). The head of the Creative Division is Toru Suzuki.

I'm really looking forward to the Tenyo Elite version of "Match Sticks" (my admiration for which is quite clear in Tenyoism, long before I knew it was to become a Tenyo Elite item), and the idea of an ungaffed set is great.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2684 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Yes sorry for the confusion, I ment he was head of the Tenyo Elite side like Hiroshi Kindo was before he retired.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
edshern
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of edshern
Peter, thanks for chiming in on this. Always worth while to hear your take on the Elite thought process.
Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Tenyo Elite Match Sticks (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL